Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a Cold War Halloween party this year and would like to build a 12' Russian missile in my backyard. Thinking the diameter would be great at 24-36". I've looked into the Sonotube concrete forms and they are super pricey. The missile is only going to be viewed from the front, so I was also thinking that it wouldn't have to be completely cylindrical if that made it easier to build. Carpet tubes are too small and stacking garbage cans wouldn't give a smooth tube appearance. Chicken wire bugs the crap out of me and I don't really know what I would even cover it with...

I've come to this forum each Halloween because the posters have amazing ideas and inspiration. Thinking someone might have a great solution.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Plastic 55 gallon barrels?
You should be able to find them cheap on Craigslist, or at a car wash (used for soap) or at a soda bottler or many other places.
If they don't give the smooth-sided look you're after, maybe you can just use them for the basic cylinder shape and wrap some other material around them.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I live in a rural area and I see all kinds of things in rural yards that would work. Might be worth a drive out in the country, if that's possible.

Something else you could do is get some very thin material (paneling, plastic, cardstock) and bend it into a tube. Eight feet is probably the longest you could find but you could connect two pieces together and paint a stripe at the seam, or paint the two pieces different colors like different stages of the rocket, to cover it.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
how about a junked hot water heater ... but if its hot water, why do you need to heat it? sorry couldn't resist

curious why this is a russian missile? and what are you going to do to make it russian? russian flag?

amk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about a junked hot water heater ... but if its hot water, why do you need to heat it? sorry couldn't resist

curious why this is a russian missile? and what are you going to do to make it russian? russian flag?

amk

It's an 80's themed Cold War party, so I want it to feel as if the U.S.S.R did send a nuclear missile our way and we are all partying in the fallout shelter. The missile is going to get spray painted olive green and have the Russian red star and C.C.C.P on the side. There will be a fogger placed inside to let smoke billow out the top. The tip will be shoved into the ground with the light/spray foam technique on the ground to simulate burning earth. I am also going to char some skeletons with the spray foam/liquid latex and paint technique and scatter some of these around the crash site.

The front of the house will have various vats and drums of fake corrosive liquids, a few guys in hazmat suits, etc. I might wrap the front of the house in plastic sheeting and have caution tape with an array of nuclear fallout signage.

Pretty ambitious, but we'll see what I can pull off in a month :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are other wire fence types you could look into that would give you the desired shape. I'd also recommend going with full cylindrical since you'll add strength and reduce bracing that would be needed if you do a half or 3/4 front. That said, are the party goers really going to care if you do chicken wire wrapped in plastic drop cloth? You can paint the plastic sheeting however you'd see fit.

To give it a smoother appearance, wrap it with an actual fabric drop cloth, then put the plastic over it or vice versa. The padding effect of the underlying layer should hide water wire type you use to create the body of the missile.

Depending on your mood, you could add missile graffiti like we did on bombs and shells during wars. Something like "Die Yankee Scum!" or "From Russia with Hate" "Vote Your Way out of Nuclear Blast Capitalist Pigs!" "Stalin says USA is Fallin"

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Or wire wrapped in paper to make it smoother with less work. If it's only for a party the weather shouldn't be a factor.

I'm assuming that for a crashed look you plan to set it up at an angle? That rules out heavy objects like hot water heaters and probably plastic barrels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Plastic 55 gallon barrels?
You should be able to find them cheap on Craigslist, or at a car wash (used for soap) or at a soda bottler or many other places.
If they don't give the smooth-sided look you're after, maybe you can just use them for the basic cylinder shape and wrap some other material around them.
I agree this would be my first thought, and you could get them for free. Try any dealership as well. Most will just give these away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would be funny if you had it sticking out of the ground with the fins in the air. That way you wouldn't have to model the tip. Add some smoke from a smoke machine.
CCCP.jpg
Hope this helps

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tangential to the build, but the USSR also had a HUGE stockpile of biological and chemical weapons that were loaded on ICBM's that were going to be their second wave of attacks once the radiological effects of a nuclear strike had crippled our infrastructure. They had enough anthrax and smallpox to kill the entire world's population several times over.

And as an aside, the USSR considered their nuclear force as a first strike weapon for a full victory rather than a limited defensive weapon. Also interesting, had NATO forces attacked through Europe, the Soviet Union's first response was to form a radioactive barrier between the homeland and Europe by nuking the Eastern Bloc countries.

There is quite a bit of information that became available after the USSR fell. KGB records and similarly some military records became accessible to the public for a limited time. Plus western intelligence officers were paying for former USSR state secrets. In the chaos of the transition from the USSR to the FSU, an amazing amount of intell passed into NATO hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tangential to the build, but the USSR also had a HUGE stockpile of biological and chemical weapons that were loaded on ICBM's that were going to be their second wave of attacks once the radiological effects of a nuclear strike had crippled our infrastructure. They had enough anthrax and smallpox to kill the entire world's population several times over.

And as an aside, the USSR considered their nuclear force as a first strike weapon for a full victory rather than a limited defensive weapon. Also interesting, had NATO forces attacked through Europe, the Soviet Union's first response was to form a radioactive barrier between the homeland and Europe by nuking the Eastern Bloc countries.

There is quite a bit of information that became available after the USSR fell. KGB records and similarly some military records became accessible to the public for a limited time. Plus western intelligence officers were paying for former USSR state secrets. In the chaos of the transition from the USSR to the FSU, an amazing amount of intell passed into NATO hands.
Holy history! There is a ton of good info here for some pretty gruesome effects. White anthrax powder scattered about, smallpox zombies...the list goes on. Thanks for the inspiration! I was intent on finding an 80s topic that was truly scary and besides Chernobyl, the scare of nuclear retaliation from the USSR, ranks highly. Well...that and Michael Jackson's hairpiece catching fire :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Holy history! There is a ton of good info here for some pretty gruesome effects. White anthrax powder scattered about, smallpox zombies...the list goes on. Thanks for the inspiration! I was intent on finding an 80s topic that was truly scary and besides Chernobyl, the scare of nuclear retaliation from the USSR, ranks highly. Well...that and Michael Jackson's hairpiece catching fire :)
Glad I could help.

FWIW, very few people realize how close the USSR and US came to a nuclear war during the Reagan years. After the first time Gorbachev visited the White House, he went home with his tail between his legs. Intel that was sold from KGB operatives who weren't getting paid during the breatdown of the FSU that ended up with MI6 and the CIA, some of which ended up public via various white papers and books from said agents, said that the Russian military apparatus was 100% sure that Reagan intended to nuke Russia. His treatment of Gorbachev at the White House they felt showed that he never intended to back down and intended to right the perceived (from the USSR intelligence perspective) wrongs of the loss of the Vietnam War and the stalemate of the Korean Peninsula via a direct attack on the Soviet Union. Their idea was that the US was finished fighting the Cold War in the clandestine/secondary battlefields like Korea, Central America, Vietnam, Greece, etc and take the fight to the bully on the block.

Gorbachev famously asked Nancy Reagan if at night she would whisper to the President "Peace". One reported response was that she said, "I will, if you do the same to your countrymen." The less likely, but I find more intriguing, version is that she replied "I have, or you wouldn't be here to ask."

If you really read up on it, and frankly it's fairly boring material unless you're writing a political military thriller and need background material, you'll find that the Cuban Missile Crisis with us firing shots across the Russian ship's bow in international waters was not as close as the Reagan/Gorbachev years. Hard to fathom, but having read some of the history by former Soviet generals, they were begging to let the missiles fly for months unbeknownst to us.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You could always use builders paper and wood glue. Wrap the paper around a form painting it with the wood glue as it overlaps it's self. Coat it with polyurethane inside and out to make it waterproof.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know how much sheet tin costs compared to sonotubes, but it would be easy to form into a cylinder - or even a half cylinder on a wooden frame. Maybe a HVAC company could build or get you a large length of ventilation duct or you could get something from a building demolition.

Or you could use some of the sheet plastics. Some of the thin poly sheets are relatively inexpensive. Not sure how big you can find them, though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
im thinking you could make a form fine the thinnest wood sheets or some rigid plastic. us a wood frame and flex the material and screw to the frame at top and bottom. this would make half circles but a couple 4' sections end to end and it would look like separate panels going around the rocket...

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I'm a Carpenter, I'd LOVE to build that for you!

Your best eat bet is to cut 3/4" plywood discs with, say, diameter is 16". Place these 24" apart and connect them with 3/4" strips an inch and a half wide. Then bend 1/4" cardboard over the strips. After the cardboard has been painted, apply Thompsons Water Seal over everything. You could try using very thin plywood, like cheap wall panelling in lieu of the cardboard, but it'll be tough to bend over such a tight radius.

Have a look at Canoe Construction Techniques for an idea on how to do this. You could even use tight fitting 1X2 strips for the shell, but that gets costly...and heavy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts