Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ages ago I came across this series of photographs,

At the time I thought the idea was really cool, but then I wondered if is was possible to make a prop that would have a similar effect? Have it as a 3D type of wall decoration, as if someone is trying to come out of the wall? The idea looks really good in my mind but I don't have the slightest clue on how to do it? I'ed love to have both a face and arms coming out if possible. Allot of the effect might be paint work and knowing highlighting and shading for maximum effect.

If you have any ideas, please tell me! (Or have a go yourself, and see what you can make!)

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
It looks like someone shoving their face into a piece of spandex-like material. Could you use that? Just use some of those ground-breaking hands and a wig head with that pulled over it? Of coarse, it depends on how you want to implement it.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
You're thinking of a static prop, right? Not an animated prop where a formerly flat wall gets stretched out by the face and then returns to flat?

Yeah, vacu-forming is the first thing that comes to mind. Sculpt the face and hands/arms or create them from mannequin parts and then vacu-form it.

(You do have a vacu-form table, right :) )

·
Registered
503 Posts
Reminds me of the 3D glow-in-the-dark wall plaques I have - a vampire and ghost.
Also that scene from Star Wars when Hans Solo gets set in Carbonite.

Han-Solo-Carbonite.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for all the replies, looks like I might have to invest in vacuum forming equipment. I have literally have never even attempted any form of prop building before and I am on a low budget, so this should be interesting. Might try something a little more basic first, but this has been helpful, thanks!

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
One more thing to try.
I've not tried it, but have seen some videos from Allen Hopps (StiltBeast Studios...look him up on youtube...he's awesome).
You might try sculpting or otherwise (mannequin) forming the face and hands/arms....wrap it with cellophane (Seran Wrap) then wrap that with clear packing tape.
With enough layers of packing tape, the cast will be pretty strong.
The cellophane helps the clear packing tape come off of the sculpt or mannequin.
You can paint it.
Easier and more accessible than a vacuum forming table.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When such an item was originally manufactured and sold I could only imagine a person pushing their face into this, and them the scared person on the other side of the wall Punching that real face out of fear !
Disclaimer:"Only people who like to get punched in the face need to buy this, or buy one for .. your mother-in-law?"

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Now, looking at it in Mythbuster's style, could we make this an animated prop on the cheap? I'm thinking an old Halloween mask with an open mouth like one of the cheap ones Walgreens sells that are made out of heavy vinyl. Cut the shape of the rear of the mask onto a 1 x 6 board, cut it out, attack the mask to the board and fill it in with a little Great Stuff foam and you've got a perfect and cheap head.

Next you need a pane of some sort of semi-transparent soft vinyl that can stretch. Shower curtain liner?

Motivation, I would use a simple swing arm set up using parts from an old bed (foldaway sofa beds that have been junked are a great source for these), Use a high-torque low-RPM motor like a microwave oven turntable motor, attach a short drive arm that connects the motor to the mask and base, and use two switches to change the polarity of the power to the motor as the swing arm engages them. Most microwave motors reverse direction when the power is interrupted, so the motor would turn clockwise and move the mask against the vinyl from left to right, then hit the switch, change to counter-clockwise, and move the mask from the right to the left. So the setup would look something like this from the side:

I think you could make a pretty cool animated prop for about $40-$50 bucks or so, but I think the biggest challenge would be in the application of it. Where and how would you use it? I think it would be fantastic mounted as part of a false wall, with the shower curtain liner painted the same color as the surrounding wall so it looks like the scene in Frighteners and other movies where something is pushing through the wall. Or maybe hang a picture frame around the vinyl so it looks like someone is trapped within the painting. The big challenge is you're going to need an 8" to 12" or so space behind wherever you install it, so the only way to use it I can think of would be with a false wall, which would be great, or have it as part of a box or barrel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There was a company selling a latex coated fabric at TW last year--if you interested let me know and I will try to find the details--I think it was like $150 for 13x9

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What I think would work perfect is one of those cheap rubber Scream Stalker-type masks that Walgreens and similar outfits sell. Cut the chin off, and add some raised areas using two-part epoxy, and you're in business. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts