Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (e.g. USD $200 or less) projector to use for halloween effects? I realize there are used projectors out there, but the bulbs can cost hundreds of dollars. I've heard there are LED projectors and that sounds like a better idea.

Are there any "toy" projectors that might do the trick? I would only need to project to the size of a non-bay bedroom window.

What are my options.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used AAXA projectors for an inexpensive outdoor theater setup and they should be perfect for what you're looking to do. Here's a shot of a 100"+ screen on the side of a house done with the AAXA M1

·
Registered
683 Posts
The absolute cheapest pj you can use is a projection panel + overhead projector- extemely old school but perfect for these once-in-a-while setups. The bulbs are super cheap and last about 50hrs, the picture quality will be more than adequate but more importantly, its more than bright enough for what need to show. Ebay has panels for $30-50 and you can find overhead projectors from surplus stores as low as $25.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Any there any other sub-$200 models (preferably $100 or less) anyone would recommend for Halloween effects? Any would any U.S. retail stores carry the less expensive projectors this time of year? Or would I have to wait until the Fall? Would be nice if I could buy a projector locally, with easy return/refund if it didn't meet my needs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought a new 2000 lumen LCD projector from ebay for under $200. There are two sellers that sell the same brand (Digital Galaxy). One is "digitalgalaxy2" and the other is "fortunatekathy". I have no connection with either seller, I was just pleased with the service and the projector that I bought (from digitalgalaxy2 ). I checked their completed auctions and the lowest price was about $146 shipped free from China. You have to get lucky to get one that cheap, normally they go for about $180. I received mine within 4 days of winning the projector. The replacement blubs are about $35. It is a cheap projector, but more than enough for haunting needs. I'm using it for the Grim Grinning Pumpkin animation. I may bid on another one in the future for window animation/projection. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that a toy projector would work for something like a ghost effect, where you don't need a whole lot res. The only toy projector i know of is the eyeclops....i am going to get one for my graveyard ghost. I need just a blur of a figure and this will do the job. Besides, then my son will use it for his games when we go to the grandparents house. You can check out reviews on youtube. At Walmart online i believe they are $65.

·
crossfit zombie
7,563 Posts
I bought a new 2000 lumen LCD projector from ebay for under $200. There are two sellers that sell the same brand (Digital Galaxy). One is "digitalgalaxy2" and the other is "fortunatekathy". I have no connection with either seller, I was just pleased with the service and the projector that I bought (from digitalgalaxy2 ). I checked their completed auctions and the lowest price was about $146 shipped free from China. You have to get lucky to get one that cheap, normally they go for about $180. I received mine within 4 days of winning the projector. The replacement blubs are about $35. It is a cheap projector, but more than enough for haunting needs. I'm using it for the Grim Grinning Pumpkin animation. I may bid on another one in the future for window animation/projection. Just my two cents.
I bought one from digatal galaxy last year.It worked great ..fast ship to I had it in two days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you are as tight on funds as i am, my local library actually rents out nice projectors. i put down $25 for a deductible and get it back when returned. works perfect for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts