Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was building my PVC cemetery fence and had a difficult time getting the finials to fit on the PVC.

I am using 1/2 inch PVC. I ordered plastic finials that fit over top of the PVC instead of inside. THe finials fit over 3/4 inch poles. However, since the finials have a square bottom and the PVC is round, it would not fit.

I tried heating the pvc and pressing it over top, but that was an unsuccessful mess.

I then tried sanding the pvc. This did work but was very time consuming.

I then found the solution. I take my PVC and slice the ends on a bandsaw, lengthwise about 3 times about 1 inch long

Here is an illustration if IM not explaining that well enough...

pvc.jpg

THus, when I fit the finial over top, the pvc pinches together and becomes smaller and allows the finial to slide on.

I put pvc glue on the pvc after cutting and slide the finial on. I wipe off the excess glue and quickly have my finials attached. They hold very well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Great idea. I would like to build a fence for my campground haunt for a small cemetary. Where did you get the finials from if I may ask?
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BangingCoffin,

Just wondering what you were using to heat the PVC. I made 4 sections of fence a couple halloweens ago and used a heat gun. It was fast and easy and the finials stayed on great. Here are a couple pictures of the fence.
View attachment 110684
View attachment 110683
I was using a heat gun as well. I don't know what I was doing wrong....but it never worked quite right.

Your fence is great by the way. Love the circle inserts. I may add that next year!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fence Tops

That's a cool idea. Wish I would have thought of that. I ended up making a reamer out of pvc for mine. All 1/2" pvc.
I just twisted it into the fence top and gave it a wiggle. You can't be too forceful or you will split one of the sides on
the top. Still a little hard to get the top on the pvc, but it helps by creating just enough to pop on. I have lots of fence
to complete.

IMAG1078.jpg

IMAG1079.jpg

IMAG1080.jpg

IMAG0961.jpg

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,090 Posts
I found black pvc pipe 3ft tall (for plumbing) that has the grooved edges like the fitting from morbid. I am buying 3/4 inch black plastic finials from King Architectural Metals and they screw on perfectly! And the best thing the pvc is black already!!!! There's also a coupon from my local hardware store where I am getting them, but I am sure Home Depot or Lowes must have these black pvc as well. They are more expensive though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm working on my new fence for my front yard with the finials I got from King. I used a hand held drill to bore the inside of each finial out and have been able to slide them over the half inch conduit I got from Home Depot. I then used heavy duty industrial adhesive to top off the fence piece. What you guys showed me here is s hugh help if what I tried does not work. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used the drill press with a hole bit in it and drilled the finales out a little wider. I have not glued them to the pvc.I removed them all last year before putting the fence up for storage so that none were lost. however I ended up with a little ding in the top of each finale. So I think it may have been better to hand drill them to avoid this. However it is not noticible to anyone unless you are right up on the fence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another suggestion...... When I insert the pvc through the wooden slats, I use some gorilla glue. Gorilla glue expands as it dries. The result is that the hole in the wood fills up and when painted, looks like a weld. Ill post some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mentioned using gorilla glue. I use this in the fence when I insert the pvc poles into the wooden slats. It really stiffens the fence and makes a good bond. Also, the glue expands. Here is a picture after the glue expanded and dried.

fence1.jpg

After I touched it up with flat black paint, the glue looked like a weld.

fence2.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts