Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have built a version of the attached picture for my haunt. I want to project the AtmosFearFX 'Witching' Hour clips into the opening of the archway. I would like to do this from inside the structure. First question... What material would be best to stretch across the opening in the archway to project onto from inside? I would like the material to be as transparent as possible to give it a more realistic look. Second question... Do most projectors allow for reversing the image so it can be projected from behind as I am wanting to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
At ground level the problem with any semi-tranparent scrim is projector hotspotting. You don't wanna see that from the viewing side or it ruins the effect. Cheap white shower curtain liner works well. As for reversing the image, not really necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I can project onto a thin white shower curtain from inside the structure? The Witching Hour clips are pretty detailed... not just silhouettes, etc. It will still work from the back side?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yep, you'll get very good detail as long as it's dark behind the screen. When you say "inside the structure", how far behind the screen will the projector be?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I don't know the capabilities of your projector but that's not much distance, you would need a short throw projector.

·
Registered
465 Posts
J-Man is right on all counts.

The only time to use sheer fabric is when you want a hologram-type effect in where you can see THROUGH the character to whatever objects are beyond. Otherwise, solid white vinyl shower curtains are the way to go. There are no problems with hot-spots, no problems with bleed-through, and they actually produce a sharper image because none of the image is "wasted," 100% of it hits a surface.

I don't know if yours does or not, but many projectors have a feature that allows you to reverse the image being projected. This is mostly so any writing that comes on the screen is still readable from the other side of the screen. With Witching Hour scenes, I would imagine it wouldn't matter unless you specifically wanted the character to face in a particular direction or gesture with a specific hand, etc.

And yes, you'll need a short-throw projector if you're that close to the screen and want anything near a life-size image.

·
Registered
68 Posts
J-Man and JCO - to be clear, is the white shower curtain preferable to a 'clear-ish/translucent' shower curtain for a rear projection? I suppose that eliminates the hot spot that might show thru a translucent curtain... What if my projector is inside the house, projecting onto our dining room window, and below the sight line of people outside? Which curtain is better?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
J-Man and JCO - to be clear, is the white shower curtain preferable to a 'clear-ish/translucent' shower curtain for a rear projection? I suppose that eliminates the hot spot that might show thru a translucent curtain... What if my projector is inside the house, projecting onto our dining room window, and below the sight line of people outside? Which curtain is better?
The white is much better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I picked up a white shower curtain and white tablecloth at the dollar store. The shower curtain isn't wide enough, but the white tablecloth fits and works perfectly! Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts