Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.

Earlier this week, my cable connection was "padded." The cable wiring is almost 35 years old and the outside section of the connection has been entangled in a tree the entire time. So over 35 years, the line had been rubbed through down to the center wire, resulting in the signal leak. 5 years I've been trying to get the outside segment replaced only to constantly get told there was nothing wrong in spite the fact that service would go out on windy days or in heavy rain. So the guy who padded the line screwed things up to the point that the cable was going out whenever there was even the lightest of breezes. In my efforts to resolve the issue temporarily, I fell out of a tree Thursday afternoon. Into poison ivy. Fortunately, my only injury was a hamstringing, as I am not allergic to poison ivy. :D

However, this meant I'd have to reduce my Halloween night haunt yet again. I went from a spider web trail across my yard to a popup gazebo housing a spider nest due to rain, then I cut it back to spiders without any sort of home, though I kept some of the gimmicks I had planned.

I ended up with my driveway lined with reapers and jack-o-lanterns on the street end, and gimmicks on the house end. I did my coffin candy bowl once again, adding a singing skull to the mix, so it would yell at the kids when they reached down to take candy from the skeleton's rib cage. On the other side,I had a small table with a jumping spider and bowl of candy. The kids came up and before they said "trick or treat," they got two choices: I'd point at the coffin and say "Sorry,but that guy ate all the candy before you got here, so you'll have to get apiece out of him" and then I'd point to the small table and say "Or you can try stealing some from the angry spider over there." Kids really do love having a house where it isn't the same old repetitiously boring "trick or treat" beg and handout.

But the best part of the night was the herd of spiders. I couldn't do webs or anything,so I just set them all out like a small herd of cattle or horses. However, there was a single remote control spider in the mix - a cheap remote control car with the body removed and one of those $3 walmart spiders ziptied to the top of it. People would get halfway up the driveway and it would suddenly charge at them. I'd say it spooked about 80% of the ToTs. Quite a few people actually ran away from it screaming. Those people are why I park my car in the street to block the end of my driveway - it guides them to turn down the sidewalk instead of running out into the street. :D

Kids were greedy this year,many angling for a fist full of candy rather than the single piece they all grabbed last year. Fortunately, the number of kids was down substantially this year,less than half what we got last year.

However, the costume less at least dressed in school sports team gear. I'd swear the entire high school girl's soccer team stopped by.

I live in what is now officially "that house." I heard at least a dozen kids proclaim "oh, its that house!" as they headed toward my driveway.

And I got lots of folks driving by for pictures,from both inside and outside the neighborhood.

My only downsides were OMG, so many batteries! I went through 4 dozen AA batteries between all the props needing a swap this year and the remote control spider.

The spider will be back next year,stronger, faster,better, rebuilt on a more powerful remote control car. My driveway is slightly sloped and the spider had trouble going uphill. Also, painting the wheels black. Those shiny rims stood out beneath it. I may actually build several more and offer the chance to be a "spider wrangler" next year.

The blasted rain came 15 minutes before curfew. Had it held off for 45 minutes more, I would have managed the quick break down and had everything in the garage instead of being caught off guard. All the local weather people claimed the rain would hold off until after midnight. Now I have a casket full of soggy props I need to dry tomorrow, as the rain lasted all day today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What an amazing story. I'm laughing just picturing the kids running away from that spider - the whole thing just brings a huge smile to my face. We totally forgot our remote control tarantula this year, but your idea of a race car with one attached is so simply brilliant, I may have to do that instead.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What an amazing story. I'm laughing just picturing the kids running away from that spider - the whole thing just brings a huge smile to my face. We totally forgot our remote control tarantula this year, but your idea of a race car with one attached is so simply brilliant, I may have to do that instead.
Simply brilliant, and it doesn't hurt so much if someone stomps on it,which almost happened a couple times Halloween night. The spider was $3, the car was $36 for a case of 18 at a yard sale, and a couple zip ties. So $2 lost if it got stomped, because while the car definitely wouldn't survive, the spider probably would. :D

I'd be terrified of someone stomping on a $15 to $45 remote control spider.

Though I may invest in a larger (and much more expensive) RC car on which I can put a spider too big to stomp. After all, if a spider with a 3 foot leg span got all those screams, Imagine the reaction to a spider big enough to presumably chew your leg off or swallow your head whole! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts