Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the pressure of the Holiday is over, and winter is setting in, I'm going to try getting some props done that have back-burnered for too long. I'm tackling the hardest one first - the blood fountain. The 2 main parts I need are no longer made, and I've had 0 luck finding used ones. So I'm attemping to make them out of Styrofoam. I have several sheets of the 2" beaded white stuff from a previous project, and I also have access to the 2" pink version.
I have to make 2 fountain "bowls" and they must not leak.
Will caulking work on the edges between the layers, or is the glue enough? How hard is it to shape the beaded styro? And finally, is there some kind of coating that will strengthen the outside of the styro to help prevent damage?
You guys are my Gurus on the subject, and I need all the help I can get...
Thanks, HM

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
For a good, strong, durable coating, try the Hot Wire Foam Factory Foam Coat - I've used this stuff, and it is hard as rock once cured (and it hardens well within an hour, and is thoroughly cured by the next day).
Link: Foam Coat - all purpose

The only downside is, it actually is so hard, it's tough to shape with sandpaper - I had to use a wood rasp and file to really shape it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ugly Joe. If it does what you say, that will be perfect for the finished product.
HM

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
If you want to absolutely ensure they don't leak, use a liquid waterproofing membrane. It is a paint on sealant used to seal shower stalls before the final layer of cement board and tiles go up. It does apply rather thick,which I assume is why it isn't used much in waterproofing Halloween projects in these forums. I've always used RedGard if you want to do some research

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a good, strong, durable coating, try the Hot Wire Foam Factory Foam Coat .
I bought the smaller container of that when I was building a model of the Panama Canal for my son's history project. I also bought the Boost Liquid Fortifier. From my work with faux rock, I suspected they were just repackaged common building material and confirmed it when I got home.

The "Boost" is nothing more than your standard Acrylic or Latex Admix found in the tile aisle. It's essentially glue dissolved in water. If I were a bettin' man, I'd bet on Acrylic. The stuff they sell at the Big Box Stores isn't a good deal compared to buying a pail of Acryl 60 and diluting it yourself, but it's a MUCH better deal than a dollar an ounce!

The Weatherproof Foam Coat was either Type S Mortar or the other material I bought for $15 for 70#. (I can't recall for sure right now, meant to look into it, but forgot about it until this post.) Fairly certain it's the mortar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts