Halloween Forum banner

Styrofoam Hard Coating

Other: 
9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ugly Joe 
#1 ·
Hello

Does anyone know of a paintable coating that you can paint onto styrofoam that will harden the surface ( other than epoxy, which costs too much ) that won't damage or eat the styrofoam?

Is there some sort of hardcoat acrylic paint? There are some styrofoam skulls at Walmart that have a skin tinted coating that is harder than the styrofoam itself. Sorta feels like a crust on the surface because you can see in some places where it has chipped off reveiling the white styrofoam underneath. They are made in China.

Anyone have any ideas? :)

Thanks

#9 ·
Something I've been working with is simply mixing plaster of paris in with latex paint.
It sticks, doesn't crack in thin coats, and is sandable.
...and best of all, you can adjust the mix of plaster to paint to get the consistency you need for whatever the application is.

I'll admit, I haven't put this to a weathering test yet, but I'm also covering this with acrylic paints for the final look (I'm using excess latex house paint I have laying around, and it's usually not the final color I want for the application)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.