Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get Styrofoam? I have a Lowes and walmart in my town, anything else is a 35+ mile trip for me. How are you anchoring these stones (wind and weather?)? Something tells me you have to be able to sculpt to make these and I an NO sculpture but I'm crazy jealous of everyone's stones. Thanks!!!

Thus far I've been using sheets of plywood and yeah...I guess I have a few "ok" stones but I'm my own worst critic and want something more....

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
You can probably get the foam board insulation sheets in the insulation/siding dept of Lowes...that's where it's at at Menards and Home Depot. (They have it online, so your store might have some in stock.) Get the pink, green or blue sheets if it's available, it's easier to cut/carve/sand than the white stuff. I use at least a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch thickness (thicker than that is better yet, if you can find it), make my stone, then we CAREFULLY drill a large hole maybe one fourth or one third of the way up through the bottom of it and twist in a small, narrow tube of PVC pipe. After the pipe is in place, you can paint and finish the stone (use a latex gray outdoor primer or Drylock paint first as a base coat...spray paint will eat the foam. I put on several layers of the gray latex primer, then a very careful, light coat of stone look spray paint -very lightly- or it can still eat through the base coat. (you don't have to use the stone spray paint...it's just my preference.) Once complete, you can stick rebar poles in the ground where you want your stones, then just slip your stones over it. This makes them wind proof and easy to set up and take down.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
(Oh, and as for sculpting, we don't get too crazy with ours...but after we cut and sand the main stone, we add detail with craft knives and the Dremel tool. After the cutting and details are done, and its base painted and textured, I add light washes of color to age the stones with regular acrylic paints...and fill in the words and such with a darker color to make them pop.) If you want to see my stones, they are in my Albums on my profile page. if you want to see pics of the pvc in the bottom, let me know and I'll go snap some real quick.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
There is nothing wrong with plywood tombstones. I've sandwiched scrap 2x4s between sheets of plywood and it works great...more durable than foam too.

As for anchoring, the pvc/rebar is a fan favorite around here. You can do it with plywood and even store-bought foam tombstones by gluing the PVC on the back. Use two pieces of rebar and pvc to keep them from spinning around. Unless you have your tombstones out for a couple of weeks, details are overrated. They make cool picture to show off on the forum (that's why you don't see pics of mine) but ToTs won't see the effort on their way to the candy bowl.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a huge fan of dumpster diving. House construction sites are a goldmine for materials. Anything IN the dumpster is fair game. Often a corner is cut off of a sheet of wood and the rest of the sheet is thrown in the dumpster. Do you know how many tombstones I can make with that? I've also found good size chunks of foam insulation. You just have to get a little creative with the shape of your stones sometimes.

My wood stones are just a single layer. They have a 2x2 strip mounted on each side along the bottom edge. There is a hole drilled in one end of each of the 2x2 strips that I put ground stakes in and push (or pound) into the ground. We get some wicked weather around Halloween here so, even though the foam stones look amazing, the wood stones hold up a lot better. I repaint mine every couple of years which is fun cause I can change the epitaphs.

·
Reaper Queen
8,610 Posts
I always glue a piece of pvc pipe to the back of my tombstones, and use rebar to hold it it, I used to use liquid nails, and that worked ok, but lately I have been using gorilla glue, seems to work good, I also agree that the pink or blue construction foam is the best,

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
We have tons of wind (sometimes quite strong) and rain in October here where I live...pretty much daily these past few years...my stones are up for over a month through this weather and hold up wonderfully using the thick foam, pvc inserts and rebar. (Those poor little dollar tree foam signs didn't stand a chance in my yard, lol.) I have seen people around here do some with wood, as well...but held in the ground in a similar way. There are many great ways to do gravestones...just do what you can with what you have! :D

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
IowaGuy, you have to get yourself a Dremel if you don't already have one. Practice carving epitaphs on scrap styrofoam, and you'll be a wiz in no time. I say this from experience. My first attempt was a mess. I bough a router guide attachment, and an engraving bit, and everything is smooth sailing from now on. Good Luck!

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you use the 1/2" or 3/4" foam sheeting from Lowes, the back piece you cut a slot for the PVC pipe to put over rebar. Use foam sheeting glue or Glidden Gripper to glue the 2 pieces together, hold down for about 24-48 hours. I will also drill holes in the pvc to add screws to wedge the rebar tight to the PVC helping with wind & possible grab & run theft. Terra has some excellent tutorial along with some other great tutorials. I had never made stones until last year & it was fun once you got comfortable with it.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/88906-building-halloween-tombstones.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/61542-batflys-tombstone-turtorial.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/119411-adding-depth-dimension-foam-tombstones-easy.html

·
Registered
355 Posts
At the risk of offending any of the amazing stone builders here, I would say if you want to learn how to make great tombstones start with the queen of the art Terra. Here is a youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfmBL5JuH0 I am sure this is also in the tutorial section.

·
Registered
449 Posts
IowaGuy, you have to get yourself a Dremel if you don't already have one. Practice carving epitaphs on scrap styrofoam, and you'll be a wiz in no time. I say this from experience. My first attempt was a mess. I bough a router guide attachment, and an engraving bit, and everything is smooth sailing from now on. Good Luck!
I just use an X-acto knife. I print out the epitaph (size it properly - don't be afraid to go over 1 page!) and tape it on the foam. I carefully cut on the lines and then gouge out the pieces (still using the X-acto knife). It takes a while but you can get some fine detail this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts