Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped. The outside wall (where all of the kids will be looking first) is this huge blank slate! 32 feet wide by 2 stories tall! What could I possibly do to this wall that won't damage the wood siding and look super scary and large! After spending lots on the haunted hayride props there's not much fund left either. Please help!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,877 Posts
Cast shadows?

You could draw some spooky tree or house cut outs with ghosts and skellies and such, cut them out of card board, and up light them so they cast the shadows up the wall.

You'll only have to find some cardboard boxes, and paint and a strong light or two.

I'd make the cut outs about person height or taller, and paint them black so they'd blend in with the rest of the yard. The bigger they are, the bigger the shadow they will cast.

I'll try to find some pics of what I mean...

OKAY!

Like this:

2007 Hallmark Halloween Howl-oween House at Hooked on Hallmark Ornaments

Or like these:

Stock Photo: Castle of nightmares

Stock Photo: Halloween scene

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Frankie's Girl is dead-on (pun intended). Shadows and cast images are the answer. Colored gels over the light will help. Even gnarly branches mounted in front of a spotlight will give texture and character - I did that last year and it was pretty effective.

If you'd like to see an effective use of silhouettes on a website, check out ths link to "Mickey's not-so-scary Halloween" It may get the creative juices flowing:
Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Beg, borrow, rent or buy an LED projector, then hide it in front of your wall and show the creepiest movies you can find. Or do what I did have a friend here on this forum edit a movie for me or do the edit yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I have my husband getting a spotlight he has in the barn and we're going to try some images tonight to see how they work! Then we're going to try some of the other ideas too! Again! Thanks! Ive started panic mode this week and this really helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts