Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just won a 750 watt strobe on e-bay. Man is this thing bright:)

I had been using several small stobes in the past (15 watt I think) but they never gave me a good effect on my driveway haunted house. I think the 750 watt will do a great job, it really blasts the light, even outside.

The question is, where to place it for the best effect?

Up in a tree (or on the roof) pointing down?

On the ground pointing up?

Place it horizontally?

I want to get that classic "stop action" strobe effect. But I don't want to "wash out" my other light effects.

I am pretty sure I don't want it pointing at where we sit to hand out candy, it will probably drive us crazy if it is in our eyes for several hours. I am also worried about it distracting drivers if the light points out in the street too much...

hints will be appreciated!

Thanks

Dana

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Placement is always tricky to achieve the required effect.
Some people are affected by them & get seizures. If you don't aim it directly at people, you should be ok. If it's placed directly overhead, that will manage the effect but, it could wash out other lighting. Unless.... you adjusted the flash effect to a slower setting.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't know about placement... but I do want to correct what was stated above. Strobe lights can trigger seizures whether they are pointed directly at people or away from them. It's the repetitive light flicker that does it, no matter where it is coming from.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Crazybob, I just want to add to your statement that those who have siezures from strobes don't all react to the same flicker rate, it can make all the difference.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
well... you are certainly going to strike fear into someone aren't you....

Lutefiskhater: Have you had complaints about your strobes and seizures?

my advice to prevent such occurrences it a simple, large print, easy to read sign that reads : Warning: Strobe Lights Used

and as for placement where do you normally put your strobes?
would it be possible to have it behind you facing out and up? perhaps sitting on the ground a few feet behind where you are handing out candy?

just an idea...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

No, I never had any complaints. Seizures had never crossed my mind, but it is something I should take into consideration I suppose.

I am going to try all of your sugestions:) to try to find the neatest effect.

I think I may try to make a homemade gel frame for my strobe and experiment with color combos. I have an eliminator e750 strobe and I can't find any gel frames, so I am going DIY I guess.

Thanks again all

Dana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts