Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here and going to be haunting my yard for the first time this year. My big problem is that I live right underneath a really REALLY bright streetlight. Is this going to be a huge problem? Does anyone have any advice or tips on haunting is what almost amounts to full daylight?!?! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Oh, and PS, is it even worth trying any lighting effects?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Aw, yes, we had this one a couple years ago on this forum. I ended up placing cardboard boxes over the lights. The neighbors loved it, the lights WERE very bright. After a week or so, the boxes got wet and fell off.
The beauty of it is, you still have harsh light directly beneath the lamps, but shadows everywhere else. My neighbors wanted the boxes up every night of the year!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
We had a security light that could not be turned off. Once we unscrewed the bulb. Do any nearby grocery stores use orange bags? You could cover the lights with those to get dim lights if you didn't need total darkness.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I remember someone posting about this a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, his solution was to make the street light think it was daytime and go out by aiming a laser light (not sure if that's what it was) at it. Perhaps you can still find it in the archives.

MsM

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
A few years back my friend Tim had street light issues. He dealt with it by covering it with colored plastic like a gel. He only covered 1/2 the light [the side facing his haunt] so the street was well lit for ToTs but the yard was blue and shadowy. If the light post is low enough for you to reach the light you might try this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the posts, but I'm afraid the stupid street light I'm referring to is far too tall to cover in any way :(

Guess I'm stuck with a well-lit cemetary! Until I can move house! lol.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hear ya man, we have ToT in the day time so i know how bright light sucks.

At the 4th of july we have a lot of fun shooting roman candles at the street light's sensor to make it turn off. Each cycle gives us about 3 mins of darkness as the light has to warm back up. Like someone else said, if you can use a laser pointer, mag light, or something else to beam directly at the sensor and make it think it's daytime it will turn off. Key is you gotta keep it aimed on there, or else you're going to have to shine it at the sensor every couple of minutes. Wouldn't hurt to spend a few bucks on a powerful flashlight or laser pointer to try it out.

Last, and i say this only for reference, i don't condone doing anything illegal, but i have heard that a hard hit to the light pole can blow out the bulb. you have to do it when the light is on. My mom's old boyfriend had that problem, people would bump the light poles at his apt complex with their car and it would burn the bulb out. That or an H-100 under a coffee can placed right under the street light supposedly does the trick as well. I would only recommend doing this is you haven't previously called the city to ask them to turn it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts