Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20 years ago I would be walking the small dog I had and as we would pass under some streetlights, they would go "Out"!
Sometimes they came back on later.
Tonight a woman told me some fairly local Psychic has been saying whenever any light blinks, faulters, that this means something, like maybe a recently deceased is attempting to contact you or reassure you.
Then the same local woman told me that when ever her Husband passes under one certain streetlight it will often go off. She didn't believe him until he was riding in her car and it began regularly happening!
It doesn't go out when she is alone in the car, she said.
Maybe it's just a poor electrical connection? Odds?
Mind over matter?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some are allergic to certain metals coming in contact with their skin, some people can't wear a battery watch because the battery goes dead too soon, or the watch goes "crazy" and races ahead of the time it is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
saw an article a few years ago on this - street lights go on and off all the time for various reasons depending on what kind of light they are - it's essentially random, but of course we usually don't notice ... until we happen to be walking by some lights that go out and, being humans, we seek out a pattern and assume the random act of lights going off/on is connected to our presence.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When "Random" begins to fit a pattern, what is it then? A woman told me a certain street light never goes out when she drives under it, unless her Husband is in the car with her, then it seems to almost always go out!
The haunted house we live in has seen many "random" things occur when they are talked about. Last October Geoff a new Oct. employee here was talking to my Wife , just the two of them were in the room, Geoff mis-spoke and accidentaly said the word "Fart". A fart machine behind the couch at the other end of that room activated a second after he said "fart".
Last October 31st at 11PM I had some people sitting on a couch at the back of this same room as I was pointing a small flashlight toward the South east corner saying:"You should never invite a ghost into your house." As the last word escaped from my lips, a small item fell crashing to the floor from behind the console TV right next to where the light from my flashlight was pointing.
I quickly took a step backwards and said.. "O.. K?" Just coincidences? In a 1870 inn that has had a haunted reputation since at least 1925 (that I know of)

·
Registered
356 Posts
My brother worked for the local hydro utilities department for several years and told me that many street lights operate with an electric eye that detects light and dark and turns the light on and off accordingly. As he is a skeptic, he suspects most of the cases where a car driving at night drives near a street light and the street light goes off is caused by the excessive light from the car head lights. He is probably right for some of these cases but he has no explanation for the other scenarios, and has a light in a room at his house that goes on and off randomly that he can't seem to fix despite his electrical background. It started acting up shortly after our mother passed away and now his kids say "Nana's here" everytime it does.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I happen to be doing some 220volt welding around Lunchtime when the local restaurants are cooking I have to adjust the amps I am trying to weld with higher on my machine.
If some of the street lights are sharing low-voltage, maybe they go out, but walking under them with no cars driving around , and they go out is different.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I took a night class this last semester at the local college, for the first few months when we took our break it was dark out and i'd walk around the campus a bit. There was one light that i can't explain. If it was on and i walked under it it would go off, if it was off it would come on. Our break was never at the exact same time either, it varied up to twenty minutes. I watched other people walk under it without anything happening.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few yrs. ago my town installed new streetlights for the downtown. They are antique reproductions, but of course the bulbs are state-of-the-art. After a short while it was discovered that if you took even just your fist and smacked the cast iron pole-part, which is heavy, "Fluted", the light would shut off!?
I'm just mentioning this because there is quite a variety of bulbs out there now being used along with the electrical system to decide if the light should be "On" or "Off", which could also be mal-adjusted .
I am saying all of this even though the alley street lights near me seemed to react to me walking under them, even though a darkness sensor would not have been picking me up below it, I am pretty sure. (Unless it was picking up on my Emotional "Darkness"? hahah!)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Personally, I can't wear battery watches because they always stop!! And I've definitely had the street lights go off while I'm walking under them. It was something my mom warned me about as a child, as she has experienced it her entire life

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
gloomycatt
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing