Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to expand my yard haunt (what a surprise!) but we live on a corner lot with a big street light in it. I've been keeping everything in the very front of our house where the trees block most of the light. But I'd love to be able to do something on the side between our driveway and the street. It would be a great area to make a larger cemetary but with the street light shining on it, I'm afraid the effect wouldn't be that great. I was thinking today about making some kind of a demented pumpkin patch or something where the lighting wouldn't be as much of an issue. What do you think? any ideas?

BTW, the electric company won't turn it off for one night. I already asked. And I'm not that great of a shot with a bb gun (lol).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Think of a scene where an amber color would be needed. I like the demented pumpkin patch idea, but a scarecrow would be the way to go.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I remember someone posting something awhile ago on this forum about using a laser pin light aimed at the offending street light to make it think its daytime.
Might be worth searching for or maybe a member who's been here even long than me might remember it and who posted it.

MsM

253 Posts
That really stinks that the Electric Company won't help you out. Ours is nice enough to even roll a truck to come out and turn ours off for the month of October while our desplay is up. Too bad you didn't know sombody...who knows somebody.... LOL Good luck!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I remember someone posting something awhile ago on this forum about using a laser pin light aimed at the offending street light to make it think its daytime.
Might be worth searching for or maybe a member who's been here even long than me might remember it and who posted it.

MsM
Most cities will cut off a particular light if you just ask! And sometimes they won't. So ASK Again..every day until they either give in or you give up. If the city Still will not do it, Try writing a letter!

The laser method mentioned above, does work, but most modern street lights have the sensor on top of the pole, making it almost impossible to shine a laser at it.

Another method is the cardboard box method. If you attempt to hoist a cardboard box over the light, at least line the inside with some foil to reflect the heat.

Another way is to kick it or take a bat to the post. Sometimes it will short it out for a couple of hours. Just make sure you do it when no one is around. Haha!

Or you can do what I do...Have an Uncle who works as a city electrician!

Good luck with your street light problem!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Honestly the thought of a darkened street even for one night, especially the night TOTers are out running around, scares me. I am shocked that a power company would turn one off - that is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. Be careful what you wish for because you would be paying too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I deal with my street light by putting a sock that I made from a sheet of blue gel over it for Halloween night. I have a telescoping pole for changing out my outside recessed lights that I hang the sock from and put it over the light for Halloween night. It doesnt take the light out it just changes it to the color I want.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,068 Posts
There is an extensive thread from a year or two back that discusses the street light issue. Lots of creative solutions to blocking the light without damaging or vandalizing the light pole. (and lots that really just want to shoot the darn things out)

I'd love to hear how Death Master put up his gel sock, tho. :D That sounds like a great solution. I could see getting a rope over the light pole and rigging up a cardboard box or wood frame with a blue acetate film to change the light color. It would be like getting free lighting in exactly the right color.

I have a street light right in my front, about 10 feet from my front yard - it's on the other side of my driveway. I'm lucky that I have a large tree right in the middle of my yard that has a great canopy spread and blocks the light from about mid-way up to the house, but my driveway, sidewalk and front of the yard are bathed in that orange light at night.

I just use it to my advantage. I figure that the visibility that the light provides for the TOTs and the safety issues are more important than having my yard completely dark. My front corner has the stuff that doesn't need special lighting or uses a colored wash that works with the light - red flood usually goes there to intensify the warm light. I save the blues and greens for the other parts and the backside.

I love Skull and Bone's lighting tutorial because he's working with the light - even after he got a brighter version that muddied up his original setup, he worked it out and made it even better and more dramatic than before. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe some tall styrofoam columns with a wrought iron cemetery sign across the top tying them together. Inside the columns are fog machines. They could dump out at the top as well as the bottom of the columns. This would sit between the street light and your cemetery. My thinking is the fog would cast an eerie glow on the cemetery.

Just a thought

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I like the idea Death Master uses - like Frankie's Girl said, "free lighting"...plenty of ambient lighting that's not putting a drain on your fusebox or extension cords.

I think blocking or shutting the light off would be a big liability risk - if any kids were hurt (tripping / falling / hit by car) and some crafty lawyer pinned it on the lack of proper lighting due to the street light being blocked, then it might come back to you as being at fault somehow (ludicrous lawsuits happen all too much...always in the back of my head).

If it's an orange-ish glow you're dealing with, I like your idea of a pumpkin patch or other harvest-ey kind of scene...if you look at some of Pumpkinrot's pic's, they have an orange cast to them, that seems like a streetlight - but it gives a wonderful contrast to some of the deep, dark shadows and blue spotlights, making the whole scene that much more menacing.
(link to Pumpkinrot 2008 pics: Halloween 2008 pics... )

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've got quite a bit of ambient light -- one from an orange street light on one side of the yard and another from a gas station about 50 yards away (I'm at the beginning of my neighborhood)... and that throws a ton of bright white light at me.

Biggest thing I can say, is use the light to your advantage by casting as many shadows as you can... I got lucky because the orange light is filtered by a tree in the front yard... so you get that little bit of 'rays' to come through... the other light just helps illuminate some props that don't have a direct light source.... branches, bushes, trees, fencing - lots of things that create many 'holes' for the light to get through are what I'd suggest. The 'big' props that block the light don't necessarily cast the best shadow.... don't know if any of that makes sense. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Unfortunately, there are these issues we must deal with. You don't want to break the law, you don't want someone getting hurt because they can't see, and the light was working. The best thing would be to try and use it to your advantage.
(Or pay some kid to shoot it out with a bb gun)

·
Registered
510 Posts
BB Gun! LOL. Just joking I have one in my front yard as well and it was off for four years and then my neighbor fnally called and complained. Urrrrr. Oh well it's not that bad.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts