Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this on CBC Radio here in Canada the other day and looked it up. As legend has it, a young women in the 3rd century AD who wanted to be a nun was instead forced into an arranged marriage. When she refused she was beheaded, and afterward her headless body got up, picked up her severed head and walked through the village to the church where she presented her head to the Bishop! I did some digging online and found various versions but the gist was the same, she is known as "Saint Valerie of L'Imoges". The story was on the radio because a wax figure of a head, the hands and feet, and a small container with a piece of bone in it was left on the doorstep at the home of the two most prolific religious historians in either Nova Scotia or Newbrunswick, I forget which, along with a note from the person that left it stating they could no longer take care of it, and claimed that the bone fragment was from Saint Valeries body. I have a link to the page that has some photos of the wax figure, which has a bloody looking gash in the lower neck area, supporting the beheading story.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/saint-valerie-in-halifax-1.2609525

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A small. old but very good book about the Cathedral at Notre Dame also told the story of a Priest send by Rome to Paris before Paris had the Catholic faith to convert them. He was there for quite a few years but he had enemies who eventually accused him of something and beheaded him!
The story then says that he picked up his own head, carried it to the grave yard as his severed head sang religious songs!
(I guess a "Good" man is hard to stop!?)
Rome sent another Priest. If this story had actually happened,the second Priest would have had converting them Very Easy,wouldn't have he?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts