Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I board up my windows with real wood every year and up until this year, I've been setting them behind the shed, stacked up and wrapped in a tarp (to keep the weather off them). Unfortunately, in FL, the humidity is so high that moisture makes it's way in and now the tarp holds it in. Also, this past year, rats ate their way through the tarp and made some nests :(

I'm thinking if building something to hold them, but not sure what. My first idea was to build something that holds the wood off the ground, but also allows space between the boards so that air can flow around them. Then I would put some kind of "roof" on it (all the sides would be open). This should keep the direct weather off them, but allow them to stay relatively dry due to air flow. I'm hoping this will also keep the critters out (bugs and rats). Does this sound like a good idea? I would put it in my shed, but I have multiple 10' boards that I use and right now I just don't have room in my shed for that (12'x24').

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
I am a little unclear if you're talking about Halloween type boarded up windows - decorations - or actual boarded up window boards for protection against storms/hurricanes (since you mentioned Florida).

I live in SE Texas, so high humidity and heavy rains during the fall, just like your area. I don't think I'd want to store any wood outside just because in addition to trying to keep it relatively safe from weather, you have to worry about attracting termites and carpenter ants and the like. And wood rots. And building an extra structure that isn't actuall closed off to the elements (sounds like you're just wanting something equivelent to a carport - roof with supports and raise the wood just a bit off the ground) just to shelter a stack of wood seems like a whole lot of work/material that won't actually protect that much if the weather turns really bad.

If the boards are strictly for decoration, I'd switch to foamcore or something and ditch the wood. It is lighter and you can replace it easily, and storage would be simple since you could throw it up on top of boxes or stacks of whatever without worrying about weight.

If it is meant as actual window protection, then you'd need to stay with the boards, but I'd store them inside a garage or weather-tight shed. I wouldn't want to worry over my boards being rotted or damaged the day before a hurricane was to hit and discover it too late to go get supplies to replace.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. Firstly, they are for decoration (I have aluminum shutters for storms). The wood is all, for the most part, pressure treated and have survived for 5+ years so far. The biggest ones with issues are from when I remodeled the back porch and used that wood. It is likely 20+ years old. I'm not overly concerned about bugs, but I think rot might be an issue with constant moisture.

I didn't do the foam core because of the work involved in making it look great. Wood looks like wood and the sometimes 10' + spans make it not look as good to me with the foam core. Also when a piece does go bad, it's a few bucks to replace it and some steel wool and vinegar to age it.

As I said, I don't have a ton of storage space (left.. lol). I put about 15 27gallon tube in the loft and that is just Halloween. I have more for Xmas, plus the normal storage. The bottom of the shed is a usable shop and lawn care storage. The space behind the shed is 30' x 10' or so. It's fenced off and gated, so that is why I stored it back there. My other wood pieces have survived fine in the weather, but they have ventilation so don't have the issues (they are also stored so water doesn't sit on them).

I guess I'm gonna have to think it through. One of my props I made so it converts to a weather tight storage unit for the tombstones and such. Maybe I need another prop that can double as weather tight wood storage in the off season.

Btw, since my windows are actually boarded up, when Matthew came through, I left the wood up. Not as good as the aluminum ones, but they would have likely been more than adequate protection.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts