Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel that what stores are putting on the shelves is rather limited this year? I am not sure if this is a biased perception since I built alot more this year. Or maybe it has to do with the recession or a change in buying trend set from years before.

Here is what I have found:

* Shelf = 1 side

Biglots - .5 shelves less of props

Halloween Express - meh.. same old high prices and a few cool items

Kmart - Missing at least a whole shelf of props this year

Michaels - not sure as I didnt watch it close last year

Party City - considering that they carry over their stuff from year to year, its hard to tell. Their new animatronic clown is kind of cool though.

Savers - 1 shelf less of masks

Shopko - Missing .5 shelves

Spirit - I had never been to one until this Sunday. OMG! That store rocks. I was very tempted to put "The Reaper of Souls" on the credit card.

Target - about the same.. "I think"

Walgreens - about the same

Walmart - They have plastic pumpkins, foggers, and costumes. Its like they just completely skipped over the prop section this year.

In regards to really cool items, besides Spirit, I think Michaels is the only store that comes to mind with their animated witch and skeletons.

So on that note, is it me or is there just not as much stuff out their this year?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I must say that I am very disappointed in the selection at retail stores this year. I think it may be due to the recession but in my thinking the holidays is when you would want to put more stuff out at good prices rather than decrease selection. Especially on the second biggest spending holiday.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
Absolutely agree. Got to figure it's the recession, but it may be that Halloween didn't sell as well last year, or they overstocked anticipating huge sales last year, and now they're only putting out a small selection to make up for it. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, I've noticed the same as well. Most stores do not have a large selection this year. I've even noticed that stores are cutting back on the selection of non-Halloween items as well.
This is because of the economy.

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I'm not sure if this is just me but I find the large standing props in Michaels look really cheaply made. I'm sure they'd look much better under the cloak of darkness but I have yet to be tempted to buy one from there...

Cheap craftsmanship but top prices...

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
Locally the two best stores have been Walgreens and Party City and it's mostly "seen that" stuff there. Walmart absolutely sucked as there were no lights, no props, only scene setters and stuff like that, K-Mart had a similar selection as last year although light on larger props, Target was miserable, reminded me of a Martha Stewart display and at years offerings early and have been refreshing with new stuff every couple of days. Didn't get into Costco yet. Seemed that even the Walmart employees were peeved about being asked about the selection. Here I am looking for cheap, low cost ravens with no shipping and K-Mart had one style and he was $9.99. Dollar Tree had some small ones and I picked up these, but still I look for cheap ravens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Walmart has stunk it up this year. I need to visit my local Spirit store though. So far Walgreens and RiteAid have been the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Walmart always has been on the light side for Halloween inventory. Now a days demand for it is getting less because of the recession. People are more worried about living another day rather than having holiday fun. Its important that we try to try to get the popularity up otherwise Halloween could just leave from our eyes in society.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Michaels has the best selection for my area. Walmart is heavy on costumes and party favors with ZERO decorations, I'll say it again Cracker Barrel had some interesting stuff, honest check it out! I will check WAlgreens today. Big lots and Dollar General pure junk. This is pretty sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Couldn't agree more! I've been trying to find worms for over 2 months now. Just found flexible snakes at Party City but no one else is carrying. I'm going to try IParty this weekend AFTER I go to Hallow-Scream at Busch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I THINK I got a bunch of ravens relatively cheaply at Michaels about 3 weeks ago. They get more expensive (at Michaels) the closer to Halloween but dramatically drop the week before. You might want to try Oriental Trading online, etc. Some of the deals are sweet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am curious... with so many online stores (including my own) offering free shipping, why even deal with the poor selections at your local stores?

I visited a Spirit store for the first time this past weekend - lots of costumes, very, very little for masks, and their prop selection was decent, but I wasn't wowed like I expected to be. And this wasn't a small store - it's in what used to be a Circuit City store. They cut it in half maybe, but it was still very big. A few of their animated displays that were set up with try me buttons in the center of the store didn't even work. I wanted to see what all the excitement was about and frankly, I just didn't get it. We sell a lot of the same stuff, so I guess for me it was just another store.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
I am curious... with so many online stores (including my own) offering free shipping, why even deal with the poor selections at your local stores?
I know you do offer free shipping on $50 or more orders, but you've been out of stock on the one Raven you sell for awhile (well at least the few times I've been on).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I usually don't order online because I am a "touchy-feely" type person who needs to SEE the items in situ before buying but I'll check out your site.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure if this is just me but I find the large standing props in Michaels look really cheaply made. I'm sure they'd look much better under the cloak of darkness but I have yet to be tempted to buy one from there...

Cheap craftsmanship but top prices...
Worth it if you have a 40% or 50% coupon. Wouldn't pay full price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah i was at walmart the otherday and saw that they had nothing good well they had good priced costumes,candy and trick-or-treat bags and MAYBE some fake spiderweb but thats basically it.but spirit halloween never fails me

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just remembered where I got my ravens -- it was Goodwill. They have/had a HUGH assortment of new Halloween stuff. I even bought bottles and vases to use for potions and cemetary displays. No big whoop if the stuff goes missing or is destroyed. Check them out in your area.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts