Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do I fix this loop that holds the dress open at the bottom? I let go it curls into a figure 8 and bunches up.
it's supposed to open up and hold the dress but from being tied up and shipped....

Any ideas?

Btw. I missed this forum solo much. I've been gone for a few years but can't wait to jump back in..

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Is the “wire” actually wire or nylon if you can tell?

This thread would have been better posted in the Costume thread or Craft thread I think. Maybe a moderator can move to get the most eyes on it by people best to answer.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,810 Posts
Moved to costume! ;)

I'd first try a basic fix: using one hand to firmly grip the wire loop in one spot, use your other hand to pull the wire gently but firmly all the way around as if you were trying to straighten it. This sometimes works to get the kink out of the wire that's causing it to collapse. I have some wire car shade things that do this sometimes, and it does help to try to smooth the kink out of them if they get "stuck" in a twist.

If this doesn't work, you could just cut the wire out of the bottom and:

1) let it hang loose
2) Get or make a poofy crinoline like this one from Joann
3) replace it with either a stiff wire similar to what was there that actually works the way it should, or a dollar store hula hoop (if you know how to sew, this should be easy)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the move to the right section....sorry. It feels like a plastic ring inside, not metal. It's a child's costume and only about a 2' diameter.

I thought about cutting it out and letting it hang loose, but my daughter was kind of liking to keep the loop. :).

I've tried straightening by hand but no good.

Maybe I'll see if I can take it out and straighten it someway and put it back...or find something in the craft store to replace!

Thanks all for the help. I'll let ya know

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you end up having to replace the hoop, you can get some 1/4" pex pipe from Home Depot to make a new hoop. It will be smaller in diameter than a hoola hoop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts