Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much storage do you have for your props? My basement is full of Christmas and my shed is full of pool/4 wheeler stuff. lol I'm out of room!! With those who have larger props, do you take them apart? Do you beg space from your neighbors? lol Where does it all get stored??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I generally try to build my big props in a way that they can be stored as flats. If a prop will be used for more than 1 year, I spend the time up front to plan it out and build it so it can be stored. My basement is full of Halloween and Christmas items, so creative storage is a must. I store my four Buckys in a large coffin along with smaller items that will fit. Plastic covered totes hold a lot and stack easily. I am just about out of space though this year, so some items will have to go. :(

Eric
________
K1100RS

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I built my major feature when living in a much much smaller place with fairly limited storage potential. All my Halloween props had to fit in the garage with my tools, yard work equipment, mower, snowblower, and my wife's car. My foam crypt was made to store flat, so it all comes apart. It's the largest prop so it's usually the biggest pain in the butt to deal with. I stacked the pieces together, strapped them together with velcro tie down strips, and hung them above head level on one wall of the garage. I used 2 of those big bicycle hooks and suspended the crypt package with heavy cotton clothesline. Everything else either stores flat or fits somehow into a tote or box. My scarecrows are "disposable". The major features [head, scaffolding, clothing, faux barbed wire wrapped at wrists and throat] all come off and dismantle or otherwise fit in a tote. The main body and the arms are whatever cool looking branches, vines, yard waste I saved over the summer and I 'flesh' them out with corn stalks. the durable props go into storage; the yard waste parts go into the compost or fire pit. A lot of the lights do double or triple duty as landscaping or Xmas lights. The landscaping stuff stays out all year--no storage issue at all. The Xmas stuff is my wife's province [I put the strands up and take them down, but otherwise won't touch it] and all the colored floods except the black lights gets stored in her storage section of the basement. I used to keep my best prop in the house, but no more [see below].

Our new house has a lot of storage but I've been limited by the wife in how much can be devoted to my props and what props can be stored in the house. She absolutely forbids my to store any standing humaoid props in the house where she might come across them in the dark. [Geez, she finds *one* skelly bound with barbed wire standing in a corner of the basement during a thunderstorm power outage and it's somehow *my* fault ;-) ] I recently acquired a huge shipping crate [96Lx30Wx30H] that I plan to make into another raised tomb. I'll store a lot of stuff in it and I'll store it in the 10x12 shed out back. Once that gets filled, I'll stack totes/boxes on top of it until I fill that space. I've also got access to the rafters in the garage at this place so long thin and relatively light weight stuff can go up there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well see, THERE'S yer problem! Time for a yard sale.

LOL! To funny!
that's what I did this year.....I got rid of two x-mas tress and loads of x-mas decorations.....I was tired of being the only one hauling the stuff out and setting it up....:eek:

anyhoo...as far as storage for Halloween goodies....we're lacking....not sure where I'm going to put new props we bought this year.....are closets are bursting!
:eek:

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
We rent a 10X10 climate-controlled storage unit for our holiday stuff (65:35 split between Hween & Xmas) and a few baby things. We flirted with the shed idea, but I just couldn't stomach it. It gets WAY too hot in a storage shed (or in the garage or attic for that matter) here in the summer, and I will NOT have my stuff rotted/warped/whatever by the heat!

·
Registered
291 Posts
We used to rent a storage unit. Then we started a car business and bought a storage condo. We don't have the business any longer, but we still own the condo so the stuff stays out there. We have way, way too much stuff to keep at the house.
The problem is, since we have so much room to store things, props gets bigger, etc. When we ever go to sell that place we'll either have to rent a pretty large unit somewhere or sell a bunch of props.

·
Registered
776 Posts
We have a shed for Halloween only 12x12. Solar powered vent (worth every penny) Okay so its at my mother house. We did something different this year where we used a 5x10x5 enclosed trailer to bring everything home and store untill final setup. worked out real nice parked it in the front yard to set up and will do the same to pack up.
Oh yeah we store all that silly xmas stuff in the attick.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
We store most of it in the garage, some is squirreled away in closets, and some in the attic (but that's going to stop - the garage is hot enough so I imagine the attic is horrible).

I build most of my props now to be able to break down for storage. I also am not going to be getting any other large props until something else breaks down and has to be replaced.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
I have a really large attic that most of my stuff gets stowed away in. I need to pick up a couple of more large, plastic tote bins though. The larger props, like my cannons, base for the mast and ship's wheel will go in the basement. The mast will be hung on the side of my house on a ladder rack and the sections of row boat that I used for my shipwreck will go against the side fence......

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
I used to have a 10 X 16 shed until this past labor day when we tried to move it and it fell over on top of my 8 X 8 shed. Now I have crammed everything from both sheds into my single car garage.

I have to throw out my monster mud reaper...he's too big and cumbersome to store in the garage, and I have to throw away all 4 sections of my fence and make new ones for next year.

No pneumatic props yet this year. Everything else is static props and lighting, and I got those strategically packed into about 6 totes I can store against the wall in the garage.

We plan on building a 24 X 36' garage in the back yard this summer...that should help out a lot.

Don't really wanna get rid of my reaper, but I have no choice. Hope the garbage man likes him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts