Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about obtaining a storage unit? I seem to desperately need one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
All you need to do is go online and see what's in your area. It pays to look around before jumping on the first thing you find, there are big price differences. I got lucky and scored a unit at a locally owned business only 5 minutes from our place.

·
Registered
570 Posts
...also really look at the security of the place. Is it keyed entry beyond the gate into a building, is there someone on site during non business hours, where and how many cameras are there.

I've had decent luck in the past, but I've had friends who's units have been broken into, including a whole car was stolen out of one. So get a good idea of how secure a place is with a walk through.

And check where power is in relation to your units, I've never had one with decent lighting, countless times I wish I could've plugged in some work lights while digging around in my units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Keep in mind some units have pests too like roaches and mice. I used to bid on storage units and had some bad experiences.

·
Registered
450 Posts
True about price, have a 5x5 and it started out a decent price but has doubled after they were bought out, prices are ridiculous know for that size. Need to go and get the mother-in-laws stuff out of there that passed several years ago but don't have any place to really store it. Thought about putting some of my stuff in there but not for the price and not heated so doesn't much.

Also if wanted some places you can not throw stuff away at, like the one I'm at and will fine you if you do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
True about price, have a 5x5 and it started out a decent price but has doubled after they were bought out, prices are ridiculous know for that size. Need to go and get the mother-in-laws stuff out of there that passed several years ago but don't have any place to really store it. Thought about putting some of my stuff in there but not for the price and not heated so doesn't much.

Also if wanted some places you can not throw stuff away at, like the one I'm at and will fine you if you do.
Mine went from $90 a month to $149 after they were bought out this last year, it's ridiculous. I feel like I'm throwing away tons of money. I kept a car stored in it but I'll be getting rid of the unit this year for sure and probably just parking the car in my parents driveway under a car cover for the winters. The rest of the stuff I had stored is probably just going to get thrown away or sold, not worth it anymore at those prices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I thought about renting a storage unit as well. I've done it in the past and it can be very expensive. If I were you I'd call around to local places, in my area they are everywhere, and do a price compare. I decided not to rent a storage unit this year but when the time comes I think I will build a storage shed on my property designated for haunted house storage. I priced out on the Home Depot webpage a 8' x 10' storage shed that has no windows and comes painted and shingled in colors that match the other buildings on my property for roughly $6000. I will most definitely go this route in the future as it will easily pay for itself in less then two years compared to storage unit pricing I got for similar sized units and the fact that I would have to barrow or rent a vehicle to move my stuff back and forth from the storage unit to my property as most of it is to large to fit in/on my small sedan. Perhaps this can work for you if you own the property you're haunting.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Like others, my unit has gotten much more expensive. Need to downsize and get rid of it. Just not worth it in the long-term.

That being said, if you do actually get one, location (meaning proximity to you) is very important.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As others have said, there's a lot that should be considered before utilizing a storage facility. When we did our home haunt we had a storage unit that cost us around $2,000 a year to store our walls and props. Luckily it was just down the street so transportation wasn't a big deal with a pickup truck, however if you're having to commute to and from, perhaps the cost of a moving truck rental should also be taken into consideration.

Also, be aware that some items, such as latex props, will not hold up well if your area gets extremely hot or extremely cold in the off season.

As Carnage mentioned, after the 6+ years of renting our unit, a storage shed would have paid for itself ten fold! 😅

·
Registered
570 Posts
Though to counter the "just build more. Storage", I myself may be renting a storage unit soon because I just don't have the space, and I'll be forced to scale the storage down because wife says so. And my garage expansion gets shut down as well since the space is going to be used for kids activities and garden expansion.

Unfortunately, living in the city means property usage is always a balance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
We no longer own our home, I used to be able to store everything for Halloween in my garage. Between the shelves I put up on one side, plus the exposed rafters I could store everything, as long as it got put back the same way it was stored before. Just like Tetris, only bigger.
Now, I store all of my "stuff" in a local storage center. It's indoors, heated, and my unit is on the ground floor. I have a 4x10 space that costs us $75.00 bucks a month. For me, it's definitely worth it. It's only 5 minutes from our place, and doing this let's me park my truck in our now tiny garage.
I really got lucky when I found this place.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now, I store all of my "stuff" in a local storage center. It's indoors, heated, and my unit is on the ground floor. I have a 4x10 space that costs us $75.00 bucks a month. For me, it's definitely worth it. It's only 5 minutes from our place, and doing this let's me park my truck in our now tiny garage.
I really got lucky when I found this place.
Sounds like a great deal at least for my area , the place we have was one if the most reasonable at least until they sold it, 5x5 no heat and still almost $50 bucks. Plus its little ways away but anyplace would be for me but this one is on my way home.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
749 Posts
Prices vary greatly, even with an area. I've had a 10x20 unit for about 3 years now, luckily my price is locked in, about $110/ month. I'm getting ready to move so we needed additional short term, at the same place a 10x10 is now $110, so prices are rising. Mine is month to month, so no long term commitment. but a contract should lock in the price. Plenty of places online. Mine was actually bought out by a national company, Storage Rentals of America (SROA), maybe they have something in your area.

·
Registered
535 Posts
LOL. Obtaining a storage unit is easy. Letting one go is hard! My greatest Halloween achievement was cramming 2 units of stuff into one last year. WARNING: Storage units contain some kind of super magnets that attracts stuff quickly. The same "stuff magnets" seem to be embedded into work benches, pool tables, and most other flat surfaces as well.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
749 Posts
LOL. Obtaining a storage unit is easy. Letting one go is hard! My greatest Halloween achievement was cramming 2 units of stuff into one last year. WARNING: Storage units contain some kind of super magnets that attracts stuff quickly. The same "stuff magnets" seem to be embedded into work benches, pool tables, and most other flat surfaces as well.

Yes they do tend to attract stuff. I maximized mine, even the vertical space. Once I realized how high the roof was I was not letting that space go to waste. I assembled an 8' loft in the unit so I have a 2nd floor in mine. And it is still stuffed full. Hopefully letting both of them go soon. HELLO NEW BASEMENT!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts