Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year as I open up all the totes of decorations I feel like I should be wearing a hazmat suit due to all the cheap chinese decorations deteriorating and mingling chemical smells :)
One tote smelled like I had unearthed a corpse...very heavy wet dirt smell that I can't figure out why because these are indoor decorations that are stored in a spare room all year.
What do you suggest packing in with the props to wipe out these horrible scents...obviously an open box of baking soda could cause problems if spilled..would fabric softener sheets work????

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not sure if the dryer sheet would last the whole year or not but it would be worth a try. I know an open box of Arm & Hammer is out of the question but what about the boxes of it that they make for the fridge that has the sides that you peel down and it has some sort of screen to keep it from spilling but still vents it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would think the baking soda would be good....wouldn't that also help keep moister off the stuff?

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
I'm sensitive to odors myself and I too notice the chemical off-gasing from a lot of this stuff. I try to let stuff sit out before packing and look for storage containers that have small holes so that some air can escape.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
What are you storing the decorations in? Maybe a plastic storage bin would help keep odors from springing up? I would febreeze everything before packing it away since that's supposd to get rid of smells. Potpourri is a good idea, and sachets of lavender or other potent scents.
I think what you have is classic Halloween smells, maybe keep them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
when packing stuff away i usually try to use cedar chips you can find 'em in the the pet section of a walmart. tuck a few handfuls in an old clean sock or two and mash it around in your hands a bit to sort of activate the scent, then tuck them in, this has a nice scent as well as keeping out critters.
also with the baking soda if you pick up a few packs of cheap knee-highs stockings (again at the walmart i think you can find a package of a few pairs for a buck or two) and fold it back on itself so it's doubled add the baking soda then tie off open end and opposite end, tuck inside an old clean sock and tie off. this should cut down on the poof factor and the baking soda getting all over in the box making sure to place them more in the bottom of the box than on top. to keep down the smells and moisture that may gather.
instead of baking soda you could also use something like lavender, which is good for a nice scent as well as keeping out the critters...hope it helps!:D

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions...I noticed tonight that one of those strings of skeletons on the jute rope that I just bought this year from Dollar Tree is already leaching that horrible earthy smell while it was in the bag. Good time to try out all the options!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts