Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering, since I finally bought a storage shed for my props and stuff. How the heck do I prevent the REAL critters from getting to it.. Such as Spiders, Rats, Ants, Bugs etc...

Everytime I go into the tiny shed, I am welcomed with a spider web that I know I did not set up LOL (I HATE SPIDERS lol) or something is covered with ants or dust.

Anybody else have a problem with this and/or have a solution for it?

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
here is FL, plastic totes have been pretty successful in keeping out roaches/spiders/mice/rats. Anything that has been left in a trash bag is usually pretty safe too, but it also depends on what is inside. I bought or made my own breathable bags (for the heat you dont want moisture on your electronic props in plastic bags) to put my life size and animated things. You can buy the wardrobe bags with a zipper and they work pretty good.

My shed is just a soup of different critters and Ive been pretty successful with the totes and breathable bags.

The enemy for me is leaking from rain, I placed some items temporarily out there and forgot about them. Its been raining and the items got water inside the plastic bags and pretty much ruined everything. I tried to salvage what I could but most of it had to be tossed, and sucker of it is, Im supposed to use these items for my theme this year. :(

·
Registered
825 Posts
A lot of my stuff also gets put in storage bins and boxes. But then again, most of my stuff are not electronic props, those that are, and are large, get hung on the wall of the garage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Plastic bins are your friend. Just load up on those things, but bear in mind that stuff needs to "breathe" so maybe drill a couple small holes in each container. Also blocks of cedar are said to have an aroma that insects don't like so I like to put 1 in every box or container I have. So far I haven't had a creature surprise in anything. Also, if you live somewhere where it gets really humid you might want to invest in those little silica packets to keep things dry. I put those in my Spooky Town boxes. I'm really creature paranoid--we have centipedes where I live, and those crazy things are FAST--so I pack my stuff away really neurotically.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yes totes, and put your stuff up dry, no moisture if its rained when you take it down...ive had mice work their way in some totes so check out your lids before you purchase yours to make sure they snap on and lock well, some can jiggle up as i found out. if your shed gets alot of humidity from rain in summer watch your electric props, you may need to store them somewhere else. i do not break mine down and pack them.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your ideas on this! :) I will put these to use after the season. I got lucky that none of my props were ruined during a week long 110+ heatwave I had last month. :D Thats why I am taking it as a warning haha

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
Plastic bins are your friend. Just load up on those things, but bear in mind that stuff needs to "breathe" so maybe drill a couple small holes in each container. Also blocks of cedar are said to have an aroma that insects don't like so I like to put 1 in every box or container I have. So far I haven't had a creature surprise in anything. Also, if you live somewhere where it gets really humid you might want to invest in those little silica packets to keep things dry. I put those in my Spooky Town boxes. I'm really creature paranoid--we have centipedes where I live, and those crazy things are FAST--so I pack my stuff away really neurotically.
I never thought of the cedar blocks. Thanks for that idea. And as for the centipedes being fast, you'd be fast too if you had that many legs and feet! ;)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I always throw down a healthy supply of mothballs in my gargage and any storage area. Ah HATES snakes! And snakes love sheds and garages. I don't care how many people tell me how beneficial snakes are, I do NOT want them in my storage. Sometimes I throw mothballs around my most vulnerable outdoor storage about a week before I pull the stuff out... just to move along any critter squatters.

ETA: Oh, I don't know if the dollar stores still sell them- but there are these gawd-awful drawer scent envelopes that contain smelly crystals. Critters hate those as well. And there is a strong smelling gel floor drain shaped thingie available at janitorial supply stores. The smell of those things will nearly keep me out of a storage shed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts