Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Where do most of you store your props and decor?

I seriously have thought about asking my husband to help me build a shed outside - he will think
I'm bat 'crap' crazy for thinking such. I worry about the Texas heat, however, everything appears
okay being stored in the attic - I need more room.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Happy Haunting -

Jamie

:cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got a locking closet in the garage, half the attic, and a woman cave for bits and pieces (the sovereign land of Estrogenia)... and a bunch of stuff all over the house.... I have about 75 carved funkins that just stay on display year round because I don't have a way to store them without messing them up... or, as my in-laws put it, "It's always Halloween at Kat's house"

·
Crypto Hunter
1,282 Posts
Most of it is in the basement but the 6' tall cemetery columns and 5' high fence sections are stored in an outside shed.
We do have a rented storage unit where hubby has extra mowers etc. We swap the latex props there in the winter and bring them back to our basement in the summer just because of the heat. (our cellar is too dry in the winter due to the boiler)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Lets see coffin tables PVC frames all in the garage rafters. 4' High x 8' Wide x 16' Deep storage under our addition full of mausoleum outhouse and cemetary fence and several other things. A small shed that is packed full. (5' x 7' x 7'). Downstairs bedroom 12' x 12' Packed full of tubs and skeletons. And our new walkin closet that I made specifically for Halloween is 6' x 12' Have all of our costumes and masks and tubs galore. So yeah.......storage is always a problem. That is my first part of building new props.......How can i build it so it can be easily broken down for storage?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in a small apartment so I have to put all my holiday decor in the bedroom closet! Luckily it's big enough for clothes on one side and I have the whole top shelf for my storage containers lol! Eventually if we don't move I'll have to steal some space in my boyfriends closet haha!!! ;P

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Also in Texas, where the attic heat can easily reach 120 degrees on a summer day, so I understand your concern. In the attic, I keep skeletons, tombstones, pvc armatures for various props, and a couple of plastic tubs with misc. "parts". The heat has not caused any damage so far but what I hate about it is that I have to wait for a cool day to get things down and sometimes it is still pretty hot even in october. Not convenient at all but it's what I've got. I keep small indoor decor inside in a spare closet so it's much easier to get to. I try very hard to resist adding anything that will take up more storage space and every year I go through it all and get rid of anything I don't really have a reason to keep.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In middle TN, store everything in the garage. I don't have anything melty, if I did it would be inside. I only use high temp hot glue as well.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
We have a 20x20 storage room in our basement. About 75% is Halloween. This used to be in nice columns like Wolfbeard, but now it's all shoved in one giant mass because I've bought too much. Everything is in medium to extra large plastic bins. Definitely have to purge some items.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm lucky, I have an extra bedroom in my house that houses all of the indoor stuff and the outdoor stuff goes in the garage, also under the bed in the guest room. I break down as much as I can and either put it on a shelf or in a clear plastic bin. You can save some space if you keep a few favorite pieces (or a lot) out all year. Tombstones fit nicely under beds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I store some of my Halloween stuff in the "bin room" in my barn loft, some of it in my cellar and some in the guest room closet. A lot of the stuff in the closet I have packed away in large plastic, lidded containers.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,058 Posts
I have this add-on across the back of my garage. (it needs new doors, I know!) This is where the blowmolds for all holidays live, as well as probably a squirrel or two. The coffin is back behind the JOL blowmolds. The coffin is filled with smaller cemetery items - loose bones, those plastic grave vases, small shepherd's hooks for lanterns, etc.
IMG_8319.jpg

This is the small shed. headstones & animal skeletons & fenceposts.
IMG_8320.jpg

The skeletons hang in the back corner of the garage. The huge cardboard box is my horse skeleton. I'll end up putting him in a tote because the box is way too awkward to handle.
IMG_8322.jpg

Here's the tote pile along the one wall of the garage. Most of these are H'ween, but some for the other holidays.
Believe it or not, the hubby is more of a packrat than me, so no. A car has never been in the garage.
IMG_8323.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your response, that is amazing. It's like walking into a Halloween Store (and I thought
I had a lot of stuff, wow). Great organizing, by the way, I hope to have a supply like you one day!

Thanks for sharing the pics, very useful. :)

Have a great day!

Jamie

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use a lot of plastic totes and they are stacked against the basement wall. Hubby wants to build shelves in the garage but it can get pretty hot here in PA and the basement is much cooler.

He was complaining about not having enough room for his drum set in the basement, or something like that. I wasn't really listening... :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts