Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post last October where one of our members used a stone wall effect wall paper. It would look fantastic for a dungeon. Does anybody know where that can be found?

it may even have been a plastic sheet product...

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Hmmm, I don't recall the post....if it is the thinner 'Scene Setter' material, that ^ is the stuff. :)

It's relatively inexpensive for a lot of coverage, but in my experience, is essentially a single use material as it rips/tears easily, and would probably require some care to reuse. So, for a permanent prop build, it probably wouldn't work out that great.

Alternatively, if the goal is to acquire something with a bit more resilience, I've also used actual wallpaper product with some success. Home Depot (and probably Lowe's) stocks some nifty stuff that looks like natural stone. Several 'stone' types can be seen here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw a post last October where one of our members used a stone wall effect wall paper. It would look fantastic for a dungeon. Does anybody know where that can be found?

it may even have been a plastic sheet product...
Wolfman:

If you can't find the wall paper already designed like that, then maybe try buying some plastic sheeting and painting it yourself? Although it will be more time-consuming, it might be a fun project, plus it would give it a more authentic look. You can get all kinds of plastic sheeting from abatix.com, They also have a flame retardant kind in case you have any candle decorations or other hazardous things nearby that might be risky. Here is a link to one that might work for you ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=PLY204C&catlist=21" Poly Sheeting 4X200X2 Clear] although the picture is of a clear sheeting you can also buy black. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
117 Posts
We use Scene Setters to cover the front and side of the garage and our entire front porch. Last year, DH taped the Scene Setter to weed barrier cloth with clear duct tape, then put grommets in the top to hang it on hooks on the walls- held up to the big October rainstorms we normally get (lots of wind, lots of rain). They're acceptable during the day, but at night they look great, as the various wrinkles and folds add more texture to the stone pattern. After Halloween, we put them in the garage until dry, then roll and fold to store til next year. Eventually we'd like a more realistic look, but these work for now.

The material is best used indoors against smooth walls- there you can get a tight fit into the corners and a smooth appearance.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
If you are still looking for plastic sheeting stone "wallpaper" there's another brand out there similar to SceneSetters. This stone wall is carried by BuyCostumes and I'm sure other vendors:

http://www.buycostumes.com/p/29200/30-stone-wall-backdrop

While this isn't helpful now, thought i'd mention for future sources during halloween time that I've also bought similar products from 99 Cent Only Stores. Believe they had stone castle walls, dungeon doors and wood/floor stone grates a year or two ago. What shows up there seems to appear at Dollar Tree and vice versa a year or two later.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
SpiderWitch, we did something similar one year to what you did. Used black duct tape on the top edge as I recall, think we folded it over when we were adhering, to double it and then punched holes in the reinforced part. Or maybe we just adhered the tape to the backside's top edge figuring the duct tape wouldn't tear when we punched holes in the panel and tape. Anyway hung it from small hooks along our wooden fence top rail (found a box of 50 or 100 of those xmas string light hangers that are a plastic hook and nail at Big Lots for cheap). I think we still have those hooks in our fence as a matter of fact.

A hair dyer will help take the wrinkles out. A good way to store the panels is to roll them up on some PVC pipe so they don't get creased during storage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
image.jpg
I used stone scene setter for my dungeon/jail cell. I use spray adhesive to attach it to cardboard, then attach the cardboard to my metal frame (old gazebo that the cover fell apart on). A light spray on the cardboard allows me to remove it and roll it up for future use. I attached it to cardboard so the wind wouldn't affect it and keep it more rigid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts