Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of months I have made few tombstones, some window boards, a small pedestal stone, and accumulated a pile of large foam scraps and a couple of really thick foam coolers that my wife had some frozen foods shipped to her in. I hate to throw any materials away, especially thick foam scraps. We all know how hard it is to find foam over 1-1/2" thick. I got to thinking, "What can I make from all of this scrap instead of just throwing them away?" After some thought and a little looking over what I have for this year, inspiration finally struck. I need to make a stone ring around my hot coals under the witches cauldron! It made some kind of warped sense in my mind that it would be better to make fake rocks instead of just using real ones. lol Anyways, here's how this 2 day project went...

I decided to build the ring piece-by piece to make it conform closely to the shape of the coals. That meant I had to sit and use a razor knife to carve and shape each and every scrap piece of foam and hot glue them into place. I made small rocks to add realism, fill in gaps, and help reinforce weak areas...

Once I made it all the way around I checked carefully for weak spots and fixed them, the flipped it over and did some extra gluing on the underside just to make sure nothing would come loose. The finished ring took 49 individual foam stones to finish. I made a couple of elevated areas on the back side to accomidate the electrical cords and my fogger hose...

Spaces for cords and fogger hose...

Next came a heavy coat of black latex paint to seal the foam. (Didn't get a pic of it black) After the base paint dried I used two colors of Valspar faux stone paint for the finished surface, followed by cheap flat black on the inside of the ring to simulate charring and soot...

Close up of the finished texture...

And here is the finished fire ring back around the hot coals and the cauldron in place. I do forsee one problem with this, but It's a minor one. I'll have to set a ring of cardboard under it when I set it out in the grass to prevent grass from coming up between the rocks and coals. I'm keeping the two pieces separate instead of gluing them together so that I can replace my coals when the lights inevitably stop working.

·
Registered
569 Posts
that looks great. i have been wanting to post a thread for ideas on using scrap that ive accumulated. but for some reason my phone wont start a thread anymore. if someone can do that for me ill post the stuff i have to use. i dont want to hijack ur thread. great work. looks so real!!!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! That's it for me for at least a month. I go back to work for my shift rotation tomorrow night and between working and sleeping I won't have time to work on anything till I get my next 8 days off in a month. (I'll be thinking about it though! lol) Got a lot done this past week. My window boards are ready to go, my skeleton is posed and ready, did some touching up on the scarecrow's paint job, and made the fire ring for my hot coals. Plus went fishing Thursday night and caught two hawg catfish 52 & 64lbs. Been a fun and busy week! My workshop was completely trashed. lol. I was wading ankle deep in foam shavings and chips after doing those rocks. I gotta remember to put in for a week of vacation on Halloween week either this week or next so I'll be sure to get it. Me and my youngest son (4) are so excited for Halloween we can barely stand it. He is getting into the prop building too. He keeps putting his blanket on top of a big plastic can we keep Legos in, then setting his skull trick or treat bucket on top of it for a head. He sets it up in doorways, or in the middle of the kitchen trying to scare some one. lol Very cute, but I keep accidentally knocking it over if I don't see it in time. Gonna be a good Halloween this year for sure!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts