Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,880 Posts
No, not even a smashed pumpkin.
But I'm still paranoid and don't put out the important stuff until the night of.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, nearly every year something gets stolen or vandalized. I guess at this point I'm asking for it if I keep putting my stuff out, but I do it every year and hope for the best. I've even had my car spraypainted and my Christmas snowmen stolen in the middle of the afternoon!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, nearly every year something gets stolen or vandalized. I guess at this point I'm asking for it if I keep putting my stuff out, but I do it every year and hope for the best. I've even had my car spraypainted and my Christmas snowmen stolen in the middle of the afternoon!
That's terrible! Do you live in a bad neighborhood?

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, I don't actually. It's your average middle class neighborhood. I've never had any problems with the kids in the area. We get a lot of kids from outside the area on Halloween so maybe it's them. Now I write my address on every prop and take pics of everything for the police.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Never had anything stolen or smashed, but we live up off by ourselves on a pretty steep hill, but I've read enough on here about things being stolen that I do worry. My neighborhood proves itself trustworthy every year so far though, that I put things out earlier and leave them out (hope I didn't just jynx myself!!)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Just wondering how many of you who have had problems have a fence around the props? I see lots of pictures posted of awesome things staged WAY out near the road/sidewalk and freak out even when they are not mine :)
I have the usual fake wrought iron pvc fencing with VERY sharp finials. I know it won't keep them out but I wonder how much it helps. No one seems to mention that fact of whether they had fencing too when they tell their horror stories. Let us know please and end my worries!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I live in an apartment complex and am worried about the wreath on my front door so I zip tied it on! I'm just paranoid because I think it's really cool. I can't imagine having to worry about a yard full of props!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have been doing my haunt for 10 years now and had issues one time. I had quite a few items stolen that time but that was 8 years ago. I have a fairly extensive setup up with many static and animatronic props. I do take precautions first of those being removing the heads from my props each night. I made sure when creating each prop that the head is easy to remove. Second I put up signs simply stating that THIS HOUSE IS BEING MONITORED WITH SECURITY CAMERAS. Third, I put a single LED battery operated light in each window of my home giving the appearance that big brother is watching. Lastly I have three 150 watt fluorescent lights I turn on each night once I shut down my haunt. This may seem like a lot to go through each day, but with the amount of money I have spent it is well worth it. Plus it only takes me 10-15 minutes each day to setup and 10 minutes to dissemble once my full scale setup was complete.

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Our first year in our house we had taped those pumpkin yard bags to the bushes in the front yard and someone stole them. I had cut them and used fiber tape on them so they were no good for anything but they were gone. I never put anything out until the day of since then.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
The only other house in my neighborhood that goes all out for Halloween had several inflatables stolen from their front yard last year. Theirs was much more of a 3-year-old friendly atmosphere than the ultimate gore presentation I put out yearly, but what makes me really sad is that the theives stole their Hallowen spirit as well. This year they have no yard decorations at all :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nothing unfortunate has occurred to my haunt or in any other the other houses in the neighborhood (that I know of). My area is becoming Halloween central around here with the Tot's since I started in earnest 4 years ago as did a close neighbor at the same time. With young kids mine is more like Dsney's Haunted Mansion while his teenagers help setup his Freddy & Jason blood & guts haunt. So I think we've been fortunate not to have anything stolen or destroyed but to be honest nothing big or of value goes out in their place until "the day" for 2 reasons...1-it does give a sense of security but the bigger reason is 2) The area kids don't get any preview or idea what they will be soon walking into...hahahaha!

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
when i was a kid...

years and years ago my mom had made these beautiful wax hands and arms that reached out of a mirror... and shortly before halloween the were found hacked up...:( someone took our own axe and did it... the police couldn't do much about it. we had other minor vandalism before that too, but the hands being hacked up was it... from there on out the entrance to the porch gets boarded up when things start going out and the board doesn't come down till 5:30 pm the 31st, and it goes back up that night and stays up until all the halloween stuff is taken down

as for thefts there was one teen who tried to take my mom's high end crypt keeper mask the year they first came out and cost $80. she was surrounded by 20 lil kids in a 15' (guessing) space. the teen figured the mask was on our dummy 'chuck' and punched 'chuck' a couple times to show his friends it was safe to take it. he reached for the back of the mask and as he did 'chuck' grabbed him under the arms and hauled him 6" off the ground. :D My dad made that kid squeal like a dog toy, his friend disappeared and after he was put down he was a blur off the porch.

the only major problem after that were these punk kids who stayed on our porch for 20 min. taunting a family friend who was playing cerberus. they would swat, punch and kick at him and run back just out of the chain's reach. well one kick caught one of the masks and cerberus took off and jerked the chain so hard it came out from under the seat it was attached to. (he was a HS football player) well he had stopped at the usual spot and the kids had left, only to comeback 5 min. later. mom told cerberus that his chain was loose and that he should chase the kids as far as he wants to. they started to kick at him again, landed a kick in his chest/face... so he took off, they stopped at what they thought was a safe spot... and he kept coming at them. :D he chased them to the edge of the yard and watched them fly down the street screaming.

but in recent years nothing bad has happened to my house, i think we have earned respect and instilled fear into the neighborhood:cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
years and years ago my mom had made these beautiful wax hands and arms that reached out of a mirror... and shortly before halloween the were found hacked up...:( someone took our own axe and did it... the police couldn't do much about it. we had other minor vandalism before that too, but the hands being hacked up was it... from there on out the entrance to the porch gets boarded up when things start going out and the board doesn't come down till 5:30 pm the 31st, and it goes back up that night and stays up until all the halloween stuff is taken down

as for thefts there was one teen who tried to take my mom's high end crypt keeper mask the year they first came out and cost $80. she was surrounded by 20 lil kids in a 15' (guessing) space. the teen figured the mask was on our dummy 'chuck' and punched 'chuck' a couple times to show his friends it was safe to take it. he reached for the back of the mask and as he did 'chuck' grabbed him under the arms and hauled him 6" off the ground. :D My dad made that kid squeal like a dog toy, his friend disappeared and after he was put down he was a blur off the porch.

the only major problem after that were these punk kids who stayed on our porch for 20 min. taunting a family friend who was playing cerberus. they would swat, punch and kick at him and run back just out of the chain's reach. well one kick caught one of the masks and cerberus took off and jerked the chain so hard it came out from under the seat it was attached to. (he was a HS football player) well he had stopped at the usual spot and the kids had left, only to comeback 5 min. later. mom told cerberus that his chain was loose and that he should chase the kids as far as he wants to. they started to kick at him again, landed a kick in his chest/face... so he took off, they stopped at what they thought was a safe spot... and he kept coming at them. :D he chased them to the edge of the yard and watched them fly down the street screaming.

but in recent years nothing bad has happened to my house, i think we have earned respect and instilled fear into the neighborhood:cool:

Haha, that's awesome. I'd be so pissed if someone even tried to steal one of my masks (especially if it was the Crypt Keeper :rolleyes: ). Atleast you handled the situation...and scared the crap out of a bunch of little theives!

·
Registered
15 Posts
we havent had many issues ... we went out one night on the 30th and when we came back the house was TPed and egged but thats about it ... the neighbor used to hide in the bushes with his paintball guns and buddies .... anyone who came around that night while they were there got a large surprise and a scare of a lifetime since your sddenly surrounded by a bunch of guys in expressionless masks

the night of halloween we have had kids try to take the bowl of candy and then try and come back swinging with punches after we scared them ... one group took to throwing pears from a neighbors fruit trees ... needles to say we let the guy with the chainsaw chase them down the street ... it may not have a chain but no one knows that. especially the kids.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts