Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my new tombstones, what do you think?
The bad news is this lot is for a buyer who ordered a cemetery for Halloween so I only get to enjoy them for a couple of weeks. Unless of course the buyer backs out then I'm stoked again :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
dead and ready to go

Just finished my new tombstones, what do you think?
The bad news is this lot is for a buyer who ordered a cemetery for Halloween so I only get to enjoy them for a couple of weeks. Unless of course the buyer backs out then I'm stoked again :D

Excellent ready to go grave yard. I like the shapes and it looks like stone

what did you use?

Gate Keeper

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
very nice work. I like the wash effect you have on those.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent ready to go grave yard. I like the shapes and it looks like stone

what did you use?

Gate Keeper
Thanks everyone! I used mostly 2" foamboard and some 1/2" here and there. The paint is dryloc with a little black dye added to darken it up a little then some dark latex paint for the drips. This year I added a solid wood base and some metal work with spikes to keep it in place.

lol...yeah the fence in the back is peaking around the corner. That's new too. 100' of it. Needless to say I've been working on Halloween since July! So far this year I've done the fence, about 20 tombstones, a pumpkin rot scarecrow and some extra paper mache pumpkins.

Today I took off from Halloween building. Me and the family went to the big pumpkin farm and had some fun today. I came home with a truck load of hay bales and corn stalks :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks everyone! I used mostly 2" foamboard and some 1/2" here and there. The paint is dryloc with a little black dye added to darken it up a little then some dark latex paint for the drips. This year I added a solid wood base and some metal work with spikes to keep it in place.
Thank you for sharing it makes a great show and I will try this method and see if I can get the same great look.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for sharing it makes a great show and I will try this method and see if I can get the same great look.

It's certainly fun :) I posted kinda quick last time so I'll give a little more detail here:

I used the dremel for the raised letter look on the 'wilson' and 'ayers' and the rest is all the wood burning tool used at varying temps with a dimmer switch to get the finer lines. Then a light coat of primer on the foam (a light coat of cheap spray paint for primer on the pvc pillars on the 'big skull' tombstone being careful not to get any on the foam)
I used an air compressor and air nozzle to clear most of the paint out of the lettering so they didn't fill up. Then repeated the above 2 more times with Dryloc tinted darker with black universal tint. The final step was misting the tombstone with water, adding dark paints to the tombstone and spraying again so the thick paint will run down the tombstone then some moss here and there.
It was lots of fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts