Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all yall stilt folks out there. On a whim, and with a few future costume ideas in mind, I bought a cheap set of drywall stilts off of Ebay. I'm still fairly spry, though I'm fast approaching 50 so I figured I'd be able to learn them enough to at least be upright with the aid of a walking staff. They came in today and of course I immediately strapped them on for a test run. Took me a minute to figure out how to stand from sitting on a short stool, but I did it and found that I could actually walk fairly well, though slowly, unassisted by holding on to anything. Had to reach up and put a hand on the ceiling a couple of times when I got wobbly, but I walked through the house, opened a door, ducked through, then walked to the other end of the house. Standing still unaided is no problem at all, rock solid. My main issue was having the stilts want to "roll out" to the outside of my leg in the direction of the upper brace. Threw me off balance every time it happened. I tightened the foot and leg straps further, and it seemed to help some, but not stop it. Is there an adjustment to the stilts I can make to help counter this, or do I just need to be more mindful of my foot positioning when I walk and not turn my feet as much outward as I do when I walk without them? Also, is there a better kind of strap to use for the legs? I find the buckles on mine to be awkward to secure and loosen and they seem to loosen up some after a bit of walking. Looking for general tips to help make them easier, safer and more comfortable.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Binge watched a bunch of YouTube videos from both drywall guys and cosplayers and figured out what I needed to adjust to get the stilts to stop wanting to lean out and practiced walking on them more. It was the tilt adjustment for the leg brace that was causing the issue. Once I moved it all the way out the leaning went away. I've also learned how to get in and out of them while standing by strapping on the first stilt, then stepping up onto the other, then strapping it on without having to brace against anything. Walked around the house a bunch (clonk, clonk, clonk) then went outside and walked around on the more uneven gravely asphalt driveway we have. My next task is figuring out how to get back up on them once I do fall. I'm figuring that without anything nearby to pull up on either using a pole, or taking one stilt off would be the easiest, but I really have no idea, so I'll be watching videos again. Anywho, you guys have been a lot of help. Thanks for all the tips and pointers.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would brake my ankles but I am clumsy.
As long as the leg straps are tight and the uprights are adjusted out far enough, there is very little of that sort of twisting. When I first tried them they wanted to lean out like that, but after watching some cosplayer videos on how to adjust them to counteract it they are almost like just wearing really thick and heavy shoes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts