Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my hands on one of those "step here" pads you find hooked to props at "spirit".

I want to use it as a trigger for my adafruit sound board.

I've never torn one open, and if I don't need to I'd rather keep it in that little vinyl 'pouch' it comes in.

So, that leaves the 1/8" jack that plugs into props.

Has anyone ever used one of those pads as a switch for anything else? I'm guessing it's just two wires once I cut the tip off, that when connected to a board, close the gap and complete whatever circuit it's attached to.

Anyone? Is there a more durable way to take apart the foot switch and beef it up?

Thanks,

TW

·
Registered
137 Posts
I make my own foot pads using cardboard box, spray adhesive, aluminum foil with wires attached and sponges. I assume the Spirit ones are made the same, two wires with two metal contact points. My homemade footpad is then placed underneath a 99 cent store floor mat, which keeps is from getting ruined. I like making my own cause they can be made as large or as small as you need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a little late in the season to do but if you want a durable switch, you can use an arcade style button. I worked at a couple arcades back in the 90's and you would be amazed at the punishment they take before the replaceable micro switch finally breaks. I've seen beefy men hammer fist them repeatedly for hours and they still worked for another few months of similar abuse. It shouldn't be a problem to attach a larger lightweight plastic square on top of one, just make sure it isn't heavy enough to depress the button or allow the springs to return it back up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts