Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I was wanting to make a stalker prop costume for next Halloween and plan to get started right after this Halloween so I was wondering if someone who has a stalkabout/stalker/stalkaround costume prop could post a tutorial of how they created it. I looked through the props and tutorial threads already posted but most have had the pictures deleted and those really help me a lot. I would love to hear the different items people have used to make these props. Also it would be helpful to have the measurements of the actual prop (how tall, how wide, how far off persons head the props head is, and so on) as well as the measurements of the costume it is wearing, for example shoulder to shoulder and bottom of the outfit to shoulder, etc. I believe we will be sewing our own as finding a costume that large will be difficult. Any information and/or pictures would be great! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't have pics. But, mine is kinda heavy anyway and needs reworking. I took a pattern I bought at the fabric store to a local playgroup and donated some money in exchange for them upsaizing the costume for me. So, I can't help with the sewing.

The head was a giant skull I bought at Big Lots. But, you could always make a paper mache head. I used PVC for the frame and built a box that fit over my body. I added crossbars that were about 1/4 from the bottom that rest on my shoulders to give me 2' of height added on. The skull gives me another foot. I used great stuff in the skull to mount a pvc pipe. I then put a cross bar accross the top of the box with a tee in the middle for the head pole to join on.

Hope that makes sense. if not, I'll see if I can find my sketch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I can kind of picture what your saying. I am good with PVC so glad to hear it was used. I think I will definitely paper mache the hands and look for an oversized mask possibly for the head. I would love to see the sketch though!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't laugh. It's a quick sketch. Not to scale. Just to convey to my wife what I was thinking at the time.

Now. This was built with 3/4" PVC to give it stability because the fabric I used for the costume was waaaaaay heavy. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would have used a lighter fabric. My thinking is you could use football pads and a backpack frame and use much less pvc than I did. But, I haven't tried putting it into practice. The front piece that spans the waist is good for leaning over as it prevents the costume from falling off you. So, if you get rid of it, you'll need a belt going around you to keep it from falling off. Here's a pic of the finished product

My mother in law is 5' and not overweight just to give you an idea of scale.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow it looks great! Thanks so much for sharing the sketch. It made it a lot easier to understand the basics for the frame. Now its time to start looking for materials. I think your right about the football pads, Im hoping I can find some at the thrift store.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
206 Posts
with this frame, you will need lots of should padding. The weight is being carried by your shoulders. It's really a stupid design with the weight I have. I put some insulation foam on the shoulder areas and I still feel it in the morning after. Plus my back gets sore.

I'm going to try redesigning it this year to attach to a camping packpack frame and some football pads. Working on getting the parts during the holidays. Then I'll cobble stuff together in January/February.

·
Registered
48 Posts
07B05888-E63C-4083-A3F0-CBD77282E131.jpg
Here is my stalkaround costume for Halloween 2018. He is over 9ft tall with a head that moves side to side and up and down. His head is made of paper mache which is waterproofed. His head is lit by 3 battery powered flickering remote controlled lights. He is also wirelessly rigged for sound. His frame is made of 3/4 PVC with MUCH measuring. The PVC is attached to a hiking backpack. I’ll try to put together a tutorial on it soon. I think I may name him BauBau, which is basically the boogey man in some parts of Eastern Europe. Any name suggestions would be appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts