Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Step By Step - Stirring Cauldron Witch - Life Size - Part one.

Stirring Witch tutorial Part one

Part two can be found here - link below
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/83432-step-step-stirring-cauldron-witch-life-size-tutorial-part-2-a-post745621.html#post745621

Al list of items you need can be found here. - link below
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/83424-birch-st-witch-stirring-cauldron-witch-lifesize-animated-prop.html

Here we go. WE are going to make this life size witch that stirs her Cauldron with her broom. ]

Here is a movie link - link bleow
Imageshack - 1000117 - Uploaded by feldkij

Cut the piece of plywood as a base for your cauldron and witches mount.
Screw the Cauldron to the wood as shown. Cut two lengths of PVC and use two screws each to mount the "witches feet" tot he board. Cut a hole in near the bottom of the cauldron so you can get a dual headed extension cord in there.

Next Cut a length of wood to hold your rotisserie motor. The wood will actually do two things. Im my case my cauldron was slight out of round. I screwed it in from the outside about mid height. Make sure your cauldron opening is the same width and length using a tape measure. Getting it as round as possible is crucial.

In my case I had to add a piece of 2x4 to bring the motor closer to the surface - you don't want it any closer than 4" to the surface. I cut 4" of the rotisserie spear using a wheel cutter - making a small post. I left the threaded side of the post intact and kept the threaded side up when inserting it into the rotisserie motor. VERY IMPORTANT make sure your post is dead center to the edges of the cauldron opening.

I then took some cheap wired fence ( you could use chicken wire) and cut a piece a little bit larger than the cauldron. I then zip tied some rope lighting I coiled on the wired fence.

I will use the edges bent for additional support on top of the wood brace. I place (folded to get it in there) the lighted wired into the cauldron. I also poked some wire ends through the plastic Cauldron for added strength.
Dont forget to test the lights and make sure they clear the post hole in the motor.

I took my 16" cheapo plastic serving tray (you can use pexiglass if you want) and i drilled a hole in the center. I then used a couple snug washers and a wing nut. to fasted the threaded part of the post (spear).

I then drilled a whole near the edge of the plastic tray and inserted the 10" machine screw (or threaded rod) with washers and nuts. (the pic shows a collar which is not needed).
I was able to use the beveled lip of the tray to slightly angle the screw/rod towards the center of the tray. see pic.

Insert the post from the tray into the motor and test it out make sure the space around the cauldron is even and it spins freely.
I removed the tray and crinkled up some red cellophane wrap around the edges inside the Cauldron.

Using spray adhesive on the tray I adhered some crinkled Yellow cellophane. (I would use yellow or orange - it gives off a nice glow). I also threw in some plastic bones for effect and put the tray back in the cauldron.

Turn it on and watch it spin. There was an added bonus I found when the tray spun the cellophane would "crinkle" and it sounded like a fire crackling. (is that a word?).

OK Now time to make the witch.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/83432-step-step-stirring-cauldron-witch-life-size-tutorial-part-2-a-post745621.html#post745621

·
Registered
495 Posts
rather than post the link can you edit your post to show the pics,
Might be more helpful easier for people to follow

Very nice looking prop by-the-way, sweet details I'm sure it'll be a huge hit!!!

-PB

·
Registered
650 Posts
WOW! This one is very nicce.. Thanks for the how-to... it just went into my "projects" favorites... Maybe one day! ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't remove it !!!!!!

Just paste the URL code from image shack where you had the link and the pic will post just like I did in my post of YOUR pics.

If you need help let me know, I think this will help/inspire others and it was a great prop please repost.

-PB

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
You could also split the tutorial into two parts. Make one thread Part 1, another thread Part 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Both parts and and items list are posted, Thanks for your patience guys. Now that i know the limits on the pic posting, I should be able to manage.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts