Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried out something, and the visual effect is cool enough that I thought someone else might get some use out of it before tomorrow is done. No time to post pictures tonight, too much to build still. (sorry) But I hope you find it useful.
-------------------------------
Steampunk Mysterious Power Source

The effect is a coruscating green glow within a translucent conical chamber, something like the power source for the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Brain-dead simple to build, and really cheap apart from the light source.

1 - Ikea "FNISS" conical wastebasket - $1.50 (the website shows them in black, but you want "clear")
1 - Gemmy Projections whirling LED spotlight - $20.00
1 - Ikea "BLANDA BLANK" stainless steel bowl, 8" diameter - $4.99

Strictly speaking, the bowl isn't part of the effect, but it fits perfectly over the small end of the wastebasket, and will become a platform for mounting additional bling. My Frankenstein laboratory machinery just got a major upgrade for not much money.

You can do the same thing with a white 5 gallon bucket, but the plastic is thicker and a bit more opaque, so the lighting is more muted.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
That is a really nice visual effect with the Gemmy light. Is that a Fire and Ice green spot or is it a green LightShow Kaleidoscope? Sometime photos don't capture the lighting pattern but I think yours did in this case. Cool! I have a mad lab theme in planning stages so will give Ikea catalog a look. Thanks and look forward to see what else you've got the works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts