Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few old-style radios that I've been saving for a haunted hotel redo that I'm planning to spook up but recently was on Party City's site with clearance sale and decided to take a chance on their haunted radio. https://www.partycity.com/haunted-radio-796401.html

Ordered it along with a lightplate throw switch (also very cool!) and they arrived yesterday. All I can say is IMO this is THE best store-bought radio prop out there, especially at the clearance price (reg. 34.99, sale price 24.99). Here's what it looks like:

It's also being sold on Amazon for the same sale price of 24.99 but you can do better by ordering from Party City if you take advantage of the 15% on order by signing up with your email. I hadn't read the review on Amazon by Christopher W. before ordering but he's right on with it. https://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Halloween-Decoration-Tekky-Toys/dp/B07HS23R8H

The radio is made by Tekky Toys and I love the 4 hours of pre-recorded old-time spooky radio shows and sounds that it plays. The fact that you can change the dial to select a different one is great. Plus love the on/off and VOLUME control. It does have one of those Try Me buttons with access to the backside for the plug. The radio's channel tuner display bathed in green light flickers on and off during operation. The skeleton emblem with continuous glowing red LED eyes and the speaker screen's cutout spooky "eye" pattern with flashing red LEDs I could probably do without but sure the kids will find it cute. Suppose you could easily add some sort of black fabric on top of the screen to hide the lights and maybe only leave the lit skull visible. In any event I found this to be the most entertaining and best buy for a haunted radio that I've seen. Just finished listing to an Intersanctum program. Audio is very clear and not garbled.

Here's Tekky's YouTube video of it:

BTW I added one of the Stay Tombed Radios to my cart just now and an alert popped up that there is limited supply.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hey GoS - I'm the Christopher W that posted the review on Amazon!
I was just about to start a thread here on the forum about Stay Tombed but did a search first and your thread came up. I second all that you said, including the fact that the LEDs are very bright and unnecessary, but it does give it a bit more "value added", I suppose. There is a nice variety of old radio programs interspersed with some appropriately spooky instrumental music. Did you notice that if you just twist the program knob slightly (until you hear the crackling sound) without turning it to "click" that there are more programs that you might have passed over?
My wife gave it to me for our anniversary on Oct 11, and I still haven't heard all of the programs yet!
I like this prop so much that I bought a few more as presents.
By all means, if you're reading this but are on the fence, get it - you'll love it.
Update - I posted the same review at Party City.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too funny ChrisW! Yep I did notice the slight turn of the dial yielded more. Most of these selections are about 20 min. in length and I probably spent a few hours already listening to them. Nice selection of old-time radio horror/suspense/paranormal stories too. I think the radio would be a fun way for a family to welcome in October by listening to one “station program” each night for example.

This product reminds me of when I was a little kid and we would go to visit my grandmother. She had this huge floor radio with dial and knobs and big speaker area. Don’t think she had a tv back then so my brother and I, to fight off boredom on our visits (she didn’t speak English so couldn’t even talk to her), would try to find fun things to listen to on this huge radio. Sometimes we would find programs like this. As I mentioned above I bought two vintage-style radios off ebay to try to convert to spooky radios and this product pretty much has it all already. I think kids who like to read spooky stories will especially enjoy having this as a Halloween gift.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Funny you should mention visiting your grandmother with the old radio. When I visited my grandparents, I would often play with an old Zenith cabinet radio they had in their basement. In my eyes it became a rocket instrument panel. After they had passed and it came time to break up the house belongings the only thing I wanted was the old radio. I refinished it and replaced the tubes and tuner and got it playing again.

Now, here is the most interesting part. See this picture from Night Of The Living Dead?
night-of-the-living-dead-1968-04.png

My grandparents' radio is the same exact model that was in the movie! I couldn't have been happier!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a new mission.

I'm carving a replica of this radio, and loading it with a bin vibrator to make it SHAKE LIKE THE DICKENS

I mean, shake like a washing machine with a brick thrown inside it. Like one of those Youtubers who love destroying washers and dryers. I want this radio ultra-hella-mega-supadupa POSSESSED shaking around. And I'll rig it to one of those Xmas light remote control outlet controllers. So I can trigger it at any time. Have it loaded with an old broke radio's dial plate assembly. Put a Bluetooth speaker inside it. Let it play a Halloween playlist, filled with scary songs, and one track of SCREAMING. As soon as an appropriate victim wanders close (ie my girlfriend or her kids) I can select the screaming track, hit the shaker's remote at the same time, and make sure the GoPro is rolling video!

And yes Ima keep this in my living room at all times. Drunk guests receive ZERO MERCY.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Love it Dminor! Especially like the way the sound slows down and drops off. Did you gut it completely? Any chance you have photos of the inside of it from the backside? Very curious what exactly you did with it.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 578471

Here's a picture of my Zenith console radio. There's the screen grab from the movie on top.
That cabinet is beautiful! Love your dino skeleton on top of it too!

I can't be sure since I was probably 6 or younger when I was at my grandmother's house but I think her radio was different than that, so probably a different manufacturer or model. My mom's still around and I'd ask her but she's forgotten a lot of things from back then or maybe they just weren't that important to her. I don't remember much else about my grandmother's place other than the push button lightswitches but the radio is a very distinct memory guess because it was so fascinating for a little kid; and my brother and I loved sitting in front of it listening to radio stories. My other grandmother had an old record player/record cabinet unit on her farm and we loved listening to the heavy 78s when we were visting her. Always found her cold storage cellar spooky. The lighting was poor, the ground was dirt and there would be all these jars of vegetables and fruits she had canned. Sometimes there would be spider webs and spiders. There were also large metal tubs (maybe made of tin?) filled with sand and potatoes. Think we used those type of tubs to bob for apples. Memories few kids get to experience these days!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oh Love it Dminor! Especially like the way the sound slows down and drops off. Did you gut it completely? Any chance you have photos of the inside of it from the backside? Very curious what exactly you did with it.
IMG_3298.jpg

As you can see, I gutted the radio to allow for the placement of a platform with 3 standard light sockets. The sockets are all wired together and have a male plug end. Additionally, I added in a mounting spot for a small 3" speaker. It's powered by a small amplifier that's connected to an old "lightning FX" box, basically a color organ that dims/brightens when the amplitude of the audio changes.

The 3 lightbulbs are vintage edison style bulbs that I used with a sockey adapter, since they were smaller than standard lightbulbs. I also masked off the lower portion of the bulb and used mirror spraypaint to recreate the look of old radio vacuum tubes (which was really hard to see and I'm sure no one noticed but me).

IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg

It's a pretty straight forward build. It's the audio that really makes it special.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the peek inside! Looking at your bulbs with the mirror effect, I just had a deja vu moment back to my dad working with resistors and replacing mirrored bulbs in our tv? I know that sounds weird to many now a days but sure there were bulbs kind of like that inside. So regret not learning electronics from him back then.

Here's two "project" old-style radios I bought off of ebay a few years back. One day I'd like to do something like what you did with yours. In the meantime I can play around with the Stay Tombed radio and find some fun programs.

I love the old cathedral-style radio alot but couldn't resist the second one shown as I could see a skull shape in the speaker screen! I can just picture a setting of skeletons/zombies in their homes listening to War of the Worlds broadcast on their radios and alien creatures approaching. I have some alien projections I got from TotalHomeFX.com the last 2 years. (Alien Transport - https://www.totalhomefx.com/product/alien-transport/ and Alien Invasion - https://www.totalhomefx.com/product/alien-invasion/ )

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Dminor - great job on the radio hack. Having it fade in and out, playing erratically in a graveyard is a nice spooky touch.

GoS - those are both beautiful radios, but I can see how you were drawn to the second one - there definitely is the suggestion of a skull there. Your tableau with the skeletons sounds great.
I wouldn't be surprised if your grandparents radio was different than mine. There were literally hundreds of different cabinet styles available over the years. The fact that mine is the same as the one from Night of the Living Dead is an amazing coincidence.

Good luck with your plans for the radios.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a few old-style radios that I've been saving for a haunted hotel redo that I'm planning to spook up but recently was on Party City's site with clearance sale and decided to take a chance on their haunted radio.

Ordered it along with a lightplate throw switch (also very cool!) and they arrived yesterday. All I can say is IMO this is THE best store-bought radio prop out there, especially at the clearance price (reg. 34.99, sale price 24.99). Here's what it looks like:

It's also being sold on Amazon for the same sale price of 24.99 but you can do better by ordering from Party City if you take advantage of the 15% on order by signing up with your email. I hadn't read the review on Amazon by Christopher W. before ordering but he's right on with it.

The radio is made by Tekky Toys and I love the 4 hours of pre-recorded old-time spooky radio shows and sounds that it plays. The fact that you can change the dial to select a different one is great. Plus love the on/off and VOLUME control. It does have one of those Try Me buttons with access to the backside for the plug. The radio's channel tuner display bathed in green light flickers on and off during operation. The skeleton emblem with continuous glowing red LED eyes and the speaker screen's cutout spooky "eye" pattern with flashing red LEDs I could probably do without but sure the kids will find it cute. Suppose you could easily add some sort of black fabric on top of the screen to hide the lights and maybe only leave the lit skull visible. In any event I found this to be the most entertaining and best buy for a haunted radio that I've seen. Just finished listing to an Intersanctum program. Audio is very clear and not garbled.

Here's Tekky's YouTube video of it:

BTW I added one of the Stay Tombed Radios to my cart just now and an alert popped up that there is limited supply.
I have the radio in my cart right now, and went looking for either better deals (because imho even $24 can turn out to be a poor investment if a thing is unsatisfying when you receive it), or some smart reviews, and this is it! Thank you so much for your detailed analysis. This is what I was hoping for! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts