Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No real theme here - just classic Halloween. At this point, I have lots more stuff than I have energy to put out. I only do a one-night-only display on TOT night - so it's all about what can go up and then down in 24 hours. Some things like large tombstones come out most every year. Large builds might not show up at all for a few years in a row because of time and weather issues. It's never quite the same display twice - but a lot of the elements are the same.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think most of us who put displays out see them evolve each year. Adding a new item here or there or a little more lighting. Although my husband and I were always huge Halloween fans, it wasn’t until 3 years ago that we had the right house to decorate.

We started with a few witch props and did a little witch set up. The neighborhood loved it and so the following year the witches got a larger kitchen and we changed up the lighting. Last year, we put the witches with a pumpkin harvest theme but Mother Nature didn’t allow it to be put out. We did buy the Black Widow prop and tried the spider theme but it didn’t seem to have the same excitement as the witches. So, still moving things around. Our primary props are witches. I think we have a total of 7 witches. And through just random buying (buy what you like, it will all match) we now have a spooky forest theme we plan to build out this year.

Really depends on what you want to do. I try to buy props that can be in different settings. I like to keep it fresh. I have this idea of a witch school, with a landing strip and lights and a few crashed witches I’d love to do. Potion class and maybe a wicked garden. But, if you do pick one theme and love it every year that’s awesome too! After all, Halloween is what we make it so whatever makes you happy! Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My theme doesn't change. It all rotates around a life size Michael Myers animatronic stand up. However, putting him in his box this year I broke the knife off.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,442 Posts
I've done 6 years starting with the idea of a steampunk town. I've added on each year and the theme has evolved to the point where the theme is an alternate Batman story set in a steam powered Gotham. My plan all along has been to keep going with this theme until this Halloween and next Halloween.
My theory behind this is that Halloween falls on the weekend the next 2 years and I'd have built to the point where the display would be at a peak. With the idea being that those are the days where the crowds are the biggest. So far my progress has been on track.
After that I'll most likely scrap everything or repurpose some of the bigger set pieces. The two remaining themes that I'd like to do next fit both of those possibilities. But I kind of want to start all over again so I'm leaning towards the former.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your replies.. i do a maze through are garage each year changing the path and the displays also the front of he garage gets changed as well did a pirate ship 2 year ago

that worked out good, last year i missed halloween as i was out of town so just had a small yard display.. So thinking of going bigger this year..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to keep it the same but now I change every year. 2017 was a graveyard, 2018 was skeleton pirates, 2019 was a zombie wasteland, and 2020 will a cannibal butcher shop.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
However, putting him in his box this year I broke the knife off.
This is such a great visual that made me LOL!!

I picture you wrestling with Mike, trying to stuff him into the box, him fighting you, trying to stab you, you finally winning & THEN YOU BREAK HIS KNIFE & he stops fighting, looks at you then just starts crying like a baby about it! :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank u I just used the Gemmy life size h20 michael myers, the 2010 gemmy freddy krueger, and u can't see it but gemmy hannibal lecters legs. thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally, i don't do "Themes" as such, never have.. Not that i have anything against them, and i'll never say never, they seem to work for a lot of people and are a "go to" choice for many each year with a lot of success so i'll never knock the formula.
I just prefer to be random and unique with what i put out, be it inside or out, and rely on quality and originality as i feel it gives guests a bit more of a variation and things to look at instead of one same block of this or one same group of that.. Plus themes can add more pressure... Getting everything to work together, to look right.. Making sure you're on schedule for the build, that kind of thing.

I usually buy pieces from all over, whether that's at home or internationally. Pieces that when i see them, i think that's original, it's different, that would look great in such a place, nobody else will have that, and it gives me ideas further on..

Needless to say, it gives me a huge sense of pride and achievement to get people smiling, give them lots to look at and give them something to talk about.. But no matter what we do, we're all different and in it together for the love of it. What works for one might not work for another and we all have our ideas and ultimately, commitment. As long as we have fun doing it, that's the main aim. (y)

As a final note, that's the beauty of this place. The fact we can all share ideas, nobody is selfish and holds anything back, we're all willing to help each other out and that's what keeps this forum great. It's a brilliant resource for creativity, ideas, material and everything else inbetween.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally, i don't do "Themes" as such, never have.. Not that i have anything against them, and i'll never say never, they seem to work for a lot of people and are a "go to" choice for many each year with a lot of success so i'll never knock the formula.
I just prefer to be random and unique with what i put out, be it inside or out, and rely on quality and originality as i feel it gives guests a bit more of a variation and things to look at instead of one same block of this or one same group of that.. Plus themes can add more pressure... Getting everything to work together, to look right.. Making sure you're on schedule for the build, that kind of thing.

I usually buy pieces from all over, whether that's at home or internationally. Pieces that when i see them, i think that's original, it's different, that would look great in such a place, nobody else will have that, and it gives me ideas further on..

Needless to say, it gives me a huge sense of pride and achievement to get people smiling, give them lots to look at and give them something to talk about.. But no matter what we do, we're all different and in it together for the love of it. What works for one might not work for another and we all have our ideas and ultimately, commitment. As long as we have fun doing it, that's the main aim. (y)

As a final note, that's the beauty of this place. The fact we can all share ideas, nobody is selfish and holds anything back, we're all willing to help each other out and that's what keeps this forum great. It's a brilliant resource for creativity, ideas, material and everything else inbetween.
Your right anybody can come and discuss anything. it really is a beauty. thanks for sharing

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
don't really have a "theme" per say ... but the porch & yard displays are "similar" every year ... Thathalloweenhouse.xyz | Creepy | Spooky | Blacklight

not that it is identical every year. props are added, made, of course everything is modified, nothing is stock. it all depends on what inspires me & i go from there ... as props are put up, sometimes they get moved because they'll look better over there with those props. everything is fluid, there is no fixed plan

just go with the flow, with what feels or looks good :)

amk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts