Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im 18 and had my license since i was 16 and been on my parents insurance since then also....well the problem is that i want to go halloween horror nights in orlando and i live in fort lauderdale which is like 4 hours away and my parents told me that i cant drive up there because my insurance does not cover me all the way up their and i wanna know can this be true??? can your insurance only cover you to a certain point even if im 18 and had my license since 16?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yup. Sure is. When I was on my Dad's insurance I was allowed to take the car as far as school and work. You want to drive farther from home, you gotta get your own insurance and set up your terms. I know the insurance agent asked what my uses for the car would be and the typical distances I'd travel and we had State Farm for years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Insurance covers the driver/car, not a physical location. But if you go outside the United states (Canada or Mexico), THEN your insurance may not work.

I think your parents came up with an excuse just so they don't have to say NO. They are probably afraid of you driving that far with not much experience. Why don't you honor them and do something fun with them instead of going four hours to some horror night thing?

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,527 Posts
I agree Wreck, but how awful of you to rat out his parents. :p I thought Succub's response would have ended it there. :D I've only personally seen one policy that restricts locations, and that's for classic cars with antique plates and classic car insurance. If you have antique plates and classic car insurance which costs considerably less than full coverage, the insurance will only cover accidents that happen between where the car is stored, your home, and parade and car show locations. They are very strict about those restrictions too, so if you have an accident, you better have some way to explain that you'd been to one of these places. But that's assuming that Dazdi is borrowing his parents classic or antique car which is very unlikely for an 18 year old.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Everything seems to be missing 2 points.

1) Her parents obviously don't want her to go.
2) She is 18 and insured. She can legally go just about anywhere she wants to.

Dazdi, do you own your own car or would you be borrowing your folks' car? THAT would make a big difference.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The insurance makes a BIG difference too. If he/she gets in accident the insured name is the one liable. And I know State Farm did that. I was sitting right there in the State Farm office with my dad and insurance agent Stan Snople and I was asked how far I'd be driving the car. We told him just to school and work. Anywhere I'd go on my own were in between those two locations anyway. When the insurance was in my name, I went wherever.

By the time we finish this debate the attraction will be closed anyway.

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
When I was on my parents insurance I don't remember having resrictions. I drove over state borders no problem. I'm wondering what kind of relationship dazdi has with their parents.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree Wreck, but how awful of you to rat out his parents. :p I thought Succub's response would have ended it there. :D I've only personally seen one policy that restricts locations, and that's for classic cars with antique plates and classic car insurance. If you have antique plates and classic car insurance which costs considerably less than full coverage, the insurance will only cover accidents that happen between where the car is stored, your home, and parade and car show locations. They are very strict about those restrictions too, so if you have an accident, you better have some way to explain that you'd been to one of these places. But that's assuming that Dazdi is borrowing his parents classic or antique car which is very unlikely for an 18 year old.
Most collector car policies also cover trips to and from the mechanic, as well as "exercise runs" (once a week drives) to keep the car in tune. When I asked how far an "exercise run" could be, the rep told me "to a restaurant or around your neighborhood, not to the mall or to work." A "Cruise night" is considered the same as a parade or show location, as well.

My collector car policy explicitly states that no driver under 25 will drive the car.

Craig

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,527 Posts
I'm guessing that's correct Craig. I researched it briefly, but went with regular full coverage on my classic (which I suspend over the winter) and don't have antique plates because I do drive it to work on beautiful days. I didn't want to take any chances, although I do need to discuss "agreed upon value" with my agent ASAP.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have antique plates in PA. You're allowed to drive your antique in PA "once a week" (as if any police officer would know) to keep it in tune, but not to "work". I've heard that some states, like NJ, are more strict about the usage of their "Historic" plates, and see them as a reason to pull you over if it's not the weekend. Thankfully, I don't live in a state like that!

Back on the subject of insurance, however. If you can abide by the 2500 miles per year and other restrictions on use, you can save yourself a bundle on your antique or collector car insurance. Most of the larger players (JC Taylor, Grundy, etc...) don't require you to have an antique plate on your car to get their collector car policy. They do require, however, your car to be considered "collectible". They accepted an 11 year old Fiat convertible without question, but wouldn't accept a 21 year old Ford sedan. Had that Ford been a Lincoln, it would have been accepted without question.

Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts