Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 projects going right now and I need at least 2 done by about Wednesday next week. I plan on starting to put stuff out early next week, weather permitting, and I'm not sure if I can get this stuff done because I have to not irritate my RSI too bad. Also some of the fairy stuff came and it was NOT as advertised so I'm going to have to change my design slightly.

Anyone else in the early stages of panic?

Because I am in the early stages of panic. :eek:

?????????????

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep!!! ? I couldn't sleep, was trying to figure out how to arrange my props, lighting and electric cords. I'm also still working on a few projects. I'm hoping to start putting props out the first weekend of October.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,845 Posts
I usually wait until October 31st at 12 on the dot until I panic...... Before then I stress a little on and off. I guess I procrastinate my panic attacks :D
Yep, that's my schedule too!!:D

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I have 3 projects going right now and I need at least 2 done by about Wednesday next week. I plan on starting to put stuff out early next week, weather permitting, and I'm not sure if I can get this stuff done because I have to not irritate my RSI too bad. Also some of the fairy stuff came and it was NOT as advertised so I'm going to have to change my design slightly.

Anyone else in the early stages of panic?

Because I am in the early stages of panic. :eek:

��������������������������
I've normally finished all my projects by now, and am just waiting for setup.

Don't have a single one finished. Haven't even started a couple.

I remind myself that I'm the only one going to notice if something doesn't happen or get done.

And then I panic anyway.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I usually wait until October 31st at 12 on the dot until I panic...... Before then I stress a little on and off. I guess I procrastinate my panic attacks :D
That would be me as well! :)

Over the years I have learned that it will all come together. And what doesn't isn't important enough to stress over and put a damper on the Halloween season anyway. No one knows, but you what you had intended. It never fails to turn out perfectly in spite of me, LOL!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I end up pointing all the flaws out to my friends, they all think I am crazy and say everything looks perfect and I say oh no look at this, this was supposed to be like this, or well I was going to do blah, blah, blah but I ran out of time or it didnt come out the way I wanted or whatever the issue is...
Also I stess about my cousin who comes every year..... I love him to death but he is a train wreck and I never ever know what he might say or do.
Last year everything was going fairly smooth, no real disasters, I had 6 or 7 new people come and things were really nice. My sister came and she was taking her son ToTing. I was not aware my uncle (he is blind and mentally ill) went with my sister and nephew ToTing. Well she was not really watching him and he fell and broke is hip. So I spent the next few days in the hospital while he had surgery to pin his hip. For 3 months after we spent rehabing him.. He healed amazing and is doing great but these are the things that happen in my life lol........
However Lilibat I do understand feeling overhwelemed with it all. I just try and taking everything day by day. Some days I get a ton done some days I am luckiy I am lucky if I get anything done. Some how it all comes together ...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,845 Posts
This thread reminds me I need to make a list of what I'd LIKE to get accomplished before the big day then prioritize it all & just start at the top & work my way through it & if the big day comes & something isn't done the world will continue to revolve & life will go on.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nope, not stressed at all. There were a lot of things I wanted to get done this year that I didn't get started on, so I'm not worried about it. I get done what I get done, which isn't going to change no matter how much I stress, so I just don't do it.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
This thread reminds me I need to make a list of what I'd LIKE to get accomplished before the big day then prioritize it all & just start at the top & work my way through it & if the big day comes & something isn't done the world will continue to revolve & life will go on.
My feelings pretty much too. In the beginning of decorating I was much more stressed out but as the years here have gone by less so. I still have things I'll want to do and set up but in the end it's not a biggie if something gets left out. Means you have to be adaptive. When you set up for one day, I think there is more stress because that's it, no second chances but always next year. I have kicked myself when I realize by procrastinating on projects (sometimes due to our really hot summers) I've left out things I had wanted to include. That's probably the biggest disappointment especially when you change up themes each year, because now when will you use this item you just had to have for this theme? so half-finished or not started projects get left in limbo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep, definitely overwhelmed!

I always have a big list of things I'd like to do, and work my way through it bit by bit. I'm getting there slowly but there still a lot to do, and a couple of big projects still to start.

I've come to realise though that the only person who knows exactly what is intended is me.. so if the odd thing gets missed out or I run out of time, nobody knows and generally people are just having a good time regardless of whether or not I have another corpse in my kitchen.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh no the panic is a a maximum right now. We do our set up over Labor Day weekend. That was last weekend and the lights go on Monday night. Well our favorite evil woman (Mother Nature) haunted us all weekend and up until yesterday with rain, rain, and then more rain. Was setting things up in between showers but only managed to get about half the characters and props set up. Been working on it a bit at night when it wasn't raining. Good weather the next week or so. So hopefully will all be finished by the end of this coming weekend. Gotta love good ole Mother Nature.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I always had big crowds coming for Halloween, we did a tremendous amount of decorating at the Diner for Halloween and to me it was always fun. I don't remember ever being stressed out when it came to decorating until 4 years ago when Jerry just decided he was not gonna get it all up. That is when the stress really started. More and more after that he would just shut down and then there was not doing anything until a week before Halloween with a setup that took a good month to get it all done.

All this time I was sick through the years and became more and more crippled and just could not get a lot done. That's the years the stress really set in and what it resulted in was me starting to worry about it all in September. Last year was the worse, he did not do anything and prior to that he just put up a few things in the last 3 years. These last 3 seasons I was sick as a dog from the worry of not getting a thing done. Each year I could barely hand out candy I was so sick.

So.......this year that is not going to happen. I have already told him you are not yelling at me and upsetting me anymore during Halloween. As sick as I was the last 2 years with cancer and my hubby too, we are not going to fight the entire month anymore. I'm going to be happy this year no matter what. No stress allowed just fun! I won't be able to get the whole thing up myself but I started 2 days ago and that gives me 2 full months to get up as much as I can.

Now granted we have all had some trying months in this house with our health and definately the strenght that was once there is gone for good, but I want to enjoy Halloween like I use to and I realized the reason I was so sick these last 3 years was because of the fighting over getting the haunt up. He just does not want to do it anymore and granted I am a nut case when it comes to everything having to be in its place. So I'm older now, have to let go of the big Haunt dream in my head and become more realistic as to what our bodies can do at this age.

So even tho he started yelling at me the other day I told him >>>Go on Vacation and I'll decorate myself. (We both know that's not possible) So we are at a compromise now and everyone is going to make an effort to work side by side and respect each other>>>>>Lets see how it goes. No Matter what I'm not getting stressed this year and I'll poke along everyday and get done what I can.........I'm looking forward to it!

For you die hard decorators.....enjoy yourself now because when old age hits and brings health issues along for the ride....it can really kick your butt!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
We’re hosting a huge Halloween Garden party for my garden group. It’s potluck & everyone is planning to bring their favorite dish. The only thing I’m truely stressed about is the weather.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,673 Posts
I have a small prop that I wanted to make, this year...I haven't even started. I am not even sure how to go about doing it. I really need to get this figured out and started. I have to fix an older prop, too.

Also, we have to do a redesign of our graveyard and its lighting. Last year, the ToTs decided that, instead of coming up the walk to our door...the graveyard is set up on either side of the walk and they walk through it...they would just all run like crazy people THROUGH the graveyard...over and around the fences and chain barriers we have up to keep them out. Sigh. Not only did I have panic attacks that they would trip over lighting cords or smash our handmade, carved gravestones that we can't replace but that, in doing so, they'd fall on top of the rebar stakes that are inside of the stones and skewer themselves! We have no choice but to move everything. We are contemplating not putting up the graveyard fence and placing all the stones and decor around the front porch in the garden areas...but lighting will be difficult, what we currently have probably won't work, and I'll miss putting up the fence we built. Ug. Decisions, decisions. We have to decide, soon, as we get the graveyard set up in the last week of September.

Truthfully, I am just exhausted and anxious even thinking about attempting any of it...and that upsets me. I have been dealing with some difficult health issues since early last year and, now, decorating...well, doing much of anything...is very, very difficult for me. I can hardly even think most of the time. I hope my husband can figure something out for our decor and graveyard project, because I am just in a brain fog, anymore.

We can't really get outside to plan right now, either...we were having extreme, unseasonable heat and humidity the past week or so that made it near impossible to be outside for more than a minute...and, today, the temps finally dropped but it's been raining and storming all day and will continue through the week and weekend, at least.

1,291 Posts
Panic isn't that a normal state to be in? Frog and I do things all year long that require some kind of build or major project. Even when we recycle a theme we're always updating or repairing or adding to. So panic is our normal state of mind.

We raised the panic err stress level up a bit. Mid July our prime project doing time we had the hose on the washer burst in the middle of the night so instead of working on projects we were cleaning up a flooded laundry room, kitchen and living room downstairs. Of course this was the DAY before we had a planned week long camping trip on the books. After drying things out and getting home from the camping trip, it was putting up new sheetrock on the downstairs ceiling, repainting and relaying the carpet... actually still working on some of that, only half the ceiling got paint need to move things now that the carpet is back down to get to the other side of the ceiling. We had months ago already picked, announced and started on a new theme, no falling back on the old this year. Frog learned that his job will no longer exist Sept 1... So he starts a new job Monday that will require more hours away, So trying to cram as much into this past week of our projects both Halloween and day to day... Did I mention on Tuesday a BIG tree came down on the fence at has to now be cut up and moved so we can fix the fence before the neighbor's dogs figure out they can once again come over to "play" catch with my chickens and geese.... nope no panic here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts