Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't gotten my crypt and flying crank ghost finished, or my yard set up. We're supposed to get the basic setup completed this weekend for the graveyard, and the crypt has to go out now too.

I'm getting paranoid about putting out the crypt - even if finished, will the neighbors think that it's just too much and complain?

We put up our 12 foot skelly on the garage, only to have the ties break and have him fall down. THREE TIMES.

I tried a recipe last night that I thought was a sure thing - and it sucked.

Our house is a wreck. Our garage is a wreck. Project pieces EVERYWHERE. Never mind that it needs to be CLEANED - I think it's been a month since I vacuumed or dusted or swept the floors!

I keep forgetting little stuff that we have to get for our party and to complete projects. Even making a list, I forget stuff.

I have to finish my costume still.

Less than two weeks... I'm terrified, and not in a good way!:eek:

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Try to stay focused and think positive. A few weeks ago you weren't even sure if you could have a party. So, be happy that your house is a wreck! At least you made the wreck this time instead of mother nature :)

MsM

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hear you!

Every year I feel very organized and ready until the last two weeks when it feels like I have SOOOO much to do and nothing is working. I got a better head start this year and got at least one major prop out of the way (my glowing toxic waste barrel :cool: )... but the 'sticky tack' I bought is USELESS in the dining room so I have to go buy some Command Strips and hope that holds up my scene setters... my guest list is getting more complicated by the day (I'm trying to keep a good number of guests despite at least three of my regular couples breaking up)... and I still don't have the front of the house decorated with anything more than a string of orange lights in the window :mad:

GRRRR... I feel your pain. Don't worry... I'm sure, like mine, it will all come together, even if it's not exactly how you planned it.

Oh, and don't worry about the neighbors. They can handle it for a couple of weeks, right?. :p

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Yeah i wouldn't worry about the crypt. It's extremely close to halloween now. And it's a decoration. It's not like you have an actual crypt of dead people in your yard. Anyone who gets offended by decorations imo needs to get a grip on reality.

As for forgetting things, your not alone.

Weeks ago i had the entire thing planned out in my head and some on paper. Now it's a week away to the party which is the first big set-up i'm looking around and panicking because i know there's things i've forgot, can't remember what, so many things still need doing, and i know once i get them done, something will go wrong.

But worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere haha.

It'll all turn out fine in the end, just crack on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Frankie's Girl!

I always find sometimes the pressure is a good thing - just don't pressure yourself TOO much. There are still 13 productive days until Halloween, and I'm sure you've been through worse, right? Sod the neighbours - they can shut up for a couple of days while you're being festive. Keep your head up and just do one thing at a time.

In my party planning articles, one of my favorite things to suggest is having a crisis companion. This person is someone you can call on to help when you're having a freak out! Is there someone you can get to help you, to delegate the smaller things while you work on the larger ones? Perhaps a spouse or a good friend? If so, do it. There's no shame in asking for help, especially if it keeps your blood pressure down!

:)
Leigh Clements
The Mystery Maiden
Shot In The Dark Mysteries.com

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Somehow... it always DOES come together, doesn't it? I can't tell you how many times I've thought, 'Oh, this will NEVER happen!' only to be quite pleased with the final results.

Of course there will ALWAYS be a few things that you'd wish could be added- but no one will know that but you.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

I've had nothing but compliments and questions about when we're setting up from the neighbors, but I still worry that I'll reach a point where the compliments turn to complaints. ;)

Hubby and I decided that the ghost is going to be a static prop this year and we will just work on finishing the crypt and setting up and deal with the cleaning next week.

There is still plenty of time. I just have to keep saying that. :eek:

·
Registered
268 Posts
LOL! You sound like ME!!!!!

We took over the operation of our POA haunted house this year. Our FIRST haunted house - ever. They had about 150 ppl come through last year. It's just me and DH doing it - and I'm useless since I have to watch the kids. I did all the planning at least, but poor DH is out there every weekend and every night after work for a month now! Our help keeps falling through ("Sure, I'll be there at 9 to help paint!" and never see them again). We only have ONE WEEK left (8 PM on the 25th!!!!) and NONE of our props are complete. We had to scrap our running sink, rewiring our glowing eye dolls, and the fog chiller due to lack of time. I'm planning on dragging my 6 mo old out there on Monday to spray paint the dot room. Poor kid will not be thrilled.

The way I see it is....no one knows your plans. They'll be awed at what they DO see and will never know the stuff you didn't get to. So make what you do have great and just enjoy the experience! We're hoping by some magic to pull all this off as well.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! You sound like ME!!!!!

We took over the operation of our POA haunted house this year. Our FIRST haunted house - ever. They had about 150 ppl come through last year. It's just me and DH doing it - and I'm useless since I have to watch the kids. I did all the planning at least, but poor DH is out there every weekend and every night after work for a month now! Our help keeps falling through ("Sure, I'll be there at 9 to help paint!" and never see them again). We only have ONE WEEK left (8 PM on the 25th!!!!) and NONE of our props are complete. We had to scrap our running sink, rewiring our glowing eye dolls, and the fog chiller due to lack of time. I'm planning on dragging my 6 mo old out there on Monday to spray paint the dot room. Poor kid will not be thrilled.

The way I see it is....no one knows your plans. They'll be awed at what they DO see and will never know the stuff you didn't get to. So make what you do have great and just enjoy the experience! We're hoping by some magic to pull all this off as well.

Oh wow! I would be freaking out even worse if I had that sort of obligation! Still, sounds like it will be a wonderful experience if you can get through all the prep work - good luck!

On a good note, my hubby and I got out there today and assembled the worst of the crypt pieces and got our fence and columns set. I finally have some of the worst of the set up out of the way!

Tombstones and other stuff to come later, but this was the biggest chunk of work, and even though hubby and I had some snippy words at several points (we usually work very well together, but both of us were getting frustrated) we got our act together and the fence looks great!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Stress

It never abates, it doesn't matter how many times you do this, the stress builds up. You just need to plug away at this point, it will all work out and remember NOBODY PUTS ON A PERFECT HAUNT where everything works the way we hope it will.

Your set up looks great, BTW!

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
IT IS SO NICE TO KNOW
WE
(CYLONFROGQUEEN AND HAMM)
ARE
NOT ALONE ! "

But we did get 1/2 the Cemetery set up today.
Tomorrow maybe lighting and speakers and finishing touches.
THEN- Back yard ( party area)..... ooooo nothing done at all. eeeekkkk.
House? Why dust or vacumum.....just throw a layer of cobwebs on everything is my plan. ( Must have clean bathrooms and clean kitchen.....otherwise...
cobweb it ! )

Frankie Girl I am so glad you posted your were freakin out about all that you
haven't got done! I feel in good company now! LOL !

Edit: Oh by the way. Your fence looks good. and what you got done is done ! It looks good !

·
Registered
910 Posts
Over the years, i have found one thing. Those plans are in YOUR head and designed to YOUR specs and expectations......we are all of us, our own worse critics. One thing i do know, if you only managed to put up one prop, just one, you would still get that cadre of people visiting your home on Halloween eve' that would tell you...."great prop, i love it" and to me, that is more than enough Kudos........Chill Chiquita, don't worry yourself into the Loonie bin. Best of luck to you in getting everything prepped......you'll be just fine in the end......Cheers Scruff'

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Frankies Girl>>>>>>.Thanks so much for posting this>>>I needed it too!

Ya know you people on this board are so wonderful & encouraging ( I read what you all wrote to Batfly). I too am behind, really in a bad way. I tried for 3 months to find help as we just have expanded enough here that you have to have more people to help handle it. With my health issues & not being able to find any help, & now we took on these festivals & craft shows with the candy every weekend, ( it takes me 2-3 days to recover after one of these affairs) I just said the hell with it, I'm not doing Halloween this year.

I been so busy I have not been on the board much & I believe that when you stop putting it all up that you do lose people who make plans to come to your haunt every year. SO between this pain I been in, pain pills hardly work anymore, hubby is making arrangements now for me to go to a pain management clinic where they will no doubtedly give me medication that will probably make me think I can fly!lol Will work well with my witches costume!

SO my friends what I am trying to say is......Its 3am here & I been at a festival all day where I made no money & I'm sad BUT in reading the board tonight.......I think you guys have put me back in the groove. Our cemetery has been sitting up.... half done in the yard for a week now cause we been busy getting ready for each weekends show or festival. I don't have one thing done in the house & if it was not for the scary scene contest the garage would not be done.

SO I will sleep a bit more & get up this Sunday morn which is already in progress & git off my big fat hiney & get this damn place together. We'll run it with no help, not sure how but we'll do it. Last year it got away from us a bit so we knew we needed some extras.

I wanna thank you guys....really from the bottom of my heart & tell ya all how meaningful the words that you take the time to put here to those of us in need.....how much it helps when we find ourselves in states of turmoil, whether its personal things in our lives, or our crank ghost is having an issue, or we don't know how to throw a party or what to do when we do have a party & can't get folks to come.......anyway we cover it all here.

This is a great bunch of people & I just wanna let ya all know that you gave me my spirit back tonight so I'm gonna start decorating like hell!! Love you guys!!

the Muffster

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frankies Girl>>>>>>.Thanks so much for posting this>>>I needed it too!

Ya know you people on this board are so wonderful & encouraging ( I read what you all wrote to Batfly). I too am behind, really in a bad way. I tried for 3 months to find help as we just have expanded enough here that you have to have more people to help handle it. With my health issues & not being able to find any help, & now we took on these festivals & craft shows with the candy every weekend, ( it takes me 2-3 days to recover after one of these affairs) I just said the hell with it, I'm not doing Halloween this year.

I been so busy I have not been on the board much & I believe that when you stop putting it all up that you do lose people who make plans to come to your haunt every year. SO between this pain I been in, pain pills hardly work anymore, hubby is making arrangements now for me to go to a pain management clinic where they will no doubtedly give me medication that will probably make me think I can fly!lol Will work well with my witches costume!

SO my friends what I am trying to say is......Its 3am here & I been at a festival all day where I made no money & I'm sad BUT in reading the board tonight.......I think you guys have put me back in the groove. Our cemetery has been sitting up.... half done in the yard for a week now cause we been busy getting ready for each weekends show or festival. I don't have one thing done in the house & if it was not for the scary scene contest the garage would not be done.

SO I will sleep a bit more & get up this Sunday morn which is already in progress & git off my big fat hiney & get this damn place together. We'll run it with no help, not sure how but we'll do it. Last year it got away from us a bit so we knew we needed some extras.

I wanna thank you guys....really from the bottom of my heart & tell ya all how meaningful the words that you take the time to put here to those of us in need.....how much it helps when we find ourselves in states of turmoil, whether its personal things in our lives, or our crank ghost is having an issue, or we don't know how to throw a party or what to do when we do have a party & can't get folks to come.......anyway we cover it all here.

This is a great bunch of people & I just wanna let ya all know that you gave me my spirit back tonight so I'm gonna start decorating like hell!! Love you guys!!

the Muffster
Awwww, Muffy. Big hugs.

I hate that you are suffering with pain - but you are amazing for doing what you do. Much luck with your decorating and I hope you find lots of helpers to assist you and your hubby!!

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
I feel your pain, girl, oh do I feel your pain! You don't even want to see my check list of "things to do" before Halloween. It wouldn't be to bad if I could count on good weather from now to then and that I wouldn't have to worry about the "minister" up the street drug addled juvenile delinquent's destroying my haunt. Oh well my fingers are crossed that next weekend 90% of the props and electronics can go in, the weather is good, and my friendly neighborhood delinquents stay away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts