Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking into account the obvious issues, ultimately your choice, etc.., I have the good fortune of purchasing a new home with a huge front yard (nearly five times the size of my current yard) and have been toying with the idea of either a massive expansion of my current theme or going a totally new direction.

My current theme, which I have been doing for five years now is based upon the Pirates of the Caribbean, both the movies and the ride thru. I have always wanted to build a scaled pirate ship with cannons ablaze fighting the fortress, but room has been a premium. Now I could do that, but I have been so impressed by the awesome designs I have seen here, I'm thinking, is a change the thing to do?

I have narrowed my choices to three themes:
Continue with the Pirates theme
Do a graveyard theme
Do a western town theme (live in AZ)

Or do a combination??? I can combine either theme 1 with theme two and two and three also effectively.
I just want to glean from all the wonderful work I have seen here and with this opportunity, it's hard to feel a little overwhelmed as I enter the planning stages.

Now why shift? I have built several props to fit the space I had, but my old props in this yard would cover approx 1/8 of what I have built already, so I feel it's close to starting over.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
That old addage.......What would you do?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
If it were me, I'd do a combo. Add a few items to your pirate display that you didn't have room for before and maybe a another section for a graveyard.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well every wild west town had a graveyard didn't it, How about gunslingers human and skeletal. Bodies in the street .a funeral proscssion to Boot Hill. That's a twofer.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Here's my two cents, for whatever it's worth...

I'm assuming, new house means new neighborhood, new ToTers and victims?? In order to give yourself more time to decide if you want to do another theme, why not do the pirate theme again this year, maybe adding a few large props as space fillers; cannons, stacked distressed boxes/crates like matrixmom used in her pirate haunt, maybe a makeshift wharf with some old pallets and rope, additional pirate skellies? All of those new props can be segued into the other two themes you are thinking about, but without the rush of an entire overhaul this year after having just moved.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I envy you. :D If it were me I'd have to look at the financials of scrapping everything and starting over. Maybe this isn't a barrier for you.

A full scale ship would be pretty sweet! I guess it depends on how in love with the pirates you are. If you go full ship, then you're committed to the pirates.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I was thinking pretty much what punkineater said (but she put more succinctly than my thought processes did). If you have a new audience, it seems like a good idea to re-visit pirates while you get a feel for the new place and the ToT traffic.
If time and storage aren't issues, a pirate's graveyard could make a good (and re-useable) addition.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was thinking pretty much what punkineater said (but she put more succinctly than my thought processes did). If you have a new audience, it seems like a good idea to re-visit pirates while you get a feel for the new place and the ToT traffic.
If time and storage aren't issues, a pirate's graveyard could make a good (and re-useable) addition.
Kind'of what I was thinking along the same lines. Just add onto what you already have. Slowly adding a shipwrecked graveyard. Possibilities are endless.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Living in Arid-Zona, you have a great location for a Ghost Town theme. Kinda, sorta like Knott's Berry Farm at Halloween. Plus, I've always wanted to do a Halloween Shooting Gallery. Using the classic icons, ghost, bat, Jack O'Lantern, black cat, as targets. Set 'em up with a pellet gun and/or a slingshot, should be fun...

·
Undertaker
3,264 Posts
Taking into account the obvious issues, ultimately your choice, etc.., I have the good fortune of purchasing a new home with a huge front yard (nearly five times the size of my current yard) and have been toying with the idea of either a massive expansion of my current theme or going a totally new direction.

My current theme, which I have been doing for five years now is based upon the Pirates of the Caribbean, both the movies and the ride thru. I have always wanted to build a scaled pirate ship with cannons ablaze fighting the fortress, but room has been a premium. Now I could do that, but I have been so impressed by the awesome designs I have seen here, I'm thinking, is a change the thing to do?

I have narrowed my choices to three themes:
Continue with the Pirates theme
Do a graveyard theme
Do a western town theme (live in AZ)

Or do a combination??? I can combine either theme 1 with theme two and two and three also effectively.
I just want to glean from all the wonderful work I have seen here and with this opportunity, it's hard to feel a little overwhelmed as I enter the planning stages.

Now why shift? I have built several props to fit the space I had, but my old props in this yard would cover approx 1/8 of what I have built already, so I feel it's close to starting over.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
That old addage.......What would you do?
There are several (hundred) people on here who would gladly point out I have no cents......Anyways.....

I would do a grave yard theme....

I would Hoard everything.....

Save the pirate theme for 2018 and add new props....

2016 theme Boot Hill....Skeleton cowboys....tumble weeds.....Duplicate real Boot Hill graves such as "Less Moore, shot six times with a .44....No Less....No More" cattle skulls...maybe a skeleton horse with rider...Eh?...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the ideas and keep them coming. Yes I do love the pirates theme and didn't think about the fact of... duh...new house=new TOTs who have never seen my guys in action before. I am going to add a graveyard for sure. I figure whatever tombstones I make, they can be used no matter the rest of the haunt.

I guess I thought the theme idea because I like to set various scenes and have them tell a story... kind of lead the ToTs thru a world of mayhem and make believe. My haunt has never really been scary, but I think that is about to change. I have loved hearing it just like being on POTC ride, but now I want to make them jump a little. Ahhhhh... mastermind at work....

Now I just have to get my workshop built and set up all my equipment. I can't wait for Halloween this year!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I second the Ghost Town idea. Gunslinger, preacher, bartender, gold miners, poker players, cats and dogs - all skeletons. Signs made of old rotted wood planks. Groundbreaker coffin. Tumbleweeds. Wagon wheels. Gallows. Scarecrows. "Wanted Dead or Alive" posters or signs. And of course it's not Halloween without a graveyard.

·
Undertaker
3,264 Posts
I second the Ghost Town idea. Gunslinger, preacher, bartender, gold miners, poker players, cats and dogs - all skeletons. Signs made of old rotted wood planks. Groundbreaker coffin. Tumbleweeds. Wagon wheels. Gallows. Scarecrows. "Wanted Dead or Alive" posters or signs. And of course it's not Halloween without a graveyard.
Yeah Now that sounds cool !

·
Gramzie
980 Posts
you could also add more of the natives. for some desert island. I see you got one with a cauldron. have pirate tide to a pole with two carrying him. Have a good time . as long as you are happy that's what matters.

·
Registered
144 Posts
To me Pirates and Cowboys are very close. I made Pallet Town Tortuga 2 years ago as part of a pirate theme. I plan to reuse it for a wild west theme in couple more years. The board walk and buildings are made from pallets. I rotate themes every year and I'm always adding to the display. So go for it, If you have time do another theme and then you can rotate them.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Unless you have a ton of storage for everything, if it were me I think I would go the Pirates/graveyard theme this year, and if you're bored with the Pirates after that point then sell off some of the props that you can't repurpose from that and use the money from that for the Western theme in future years.

I find it nice to reuse themes, convenient when stuff happens during the year and you're feeling pressured, and if you like the theme a lot it can be fun to add new things you didn't get around to before. My haunted hotel is one for me. That said storing multiple themes can be a bit much. I have several themes I love working towards for future haunts, kind of wish I didn't because storage and even knowing what you have has become a front and center issue for me. Decided to use one of our extra bedrooms as a Halloween project room and try to collect everything there.

It is nice to stretch your imagination with something totally different. Good luck. Do you have a jumping off point you need to make a decision by?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts