Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working away at my theme for 2014 and will build on it for 2015. A quick rundown of the scenario, then I will explain with pics for each item below. I have a large front and side yard being on a corner lot. Driveway in the back with a large carport patio. Most of the haunt will be in the front behind a fence that we will build from pallets (free) or from wood fencing that I can beg off friends or find. The back patio will be where the candy, balloons, and festivities will be. I will have someone out front directing people around and keeping them off the lawn.

I will have hanging clowns, roasting clown, decapitated clowns, body bag clowns, cannibal clowns, car wreck clowns, caged clowns, wheel of death with knives, you get the picture. I also have a 12' inflatable circus wagon, and I will have a huge spider on top of my house with a clown face and pink spider web (ala' cotton candy).

Our curbside pickup service lends itself to lots of free 'junk' that I have found. You would not believe what people throw away! I have found the top for my ticket booth, pvc pipe, wood, paint, lanterns, cloth, Gemmy items, costumes, masks, mini car and motorcycle, motors, mirrors, and other things I probably have forgotten.

Thanks for looking and any ideas or questions are always welcome!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clown Head (paper mache')

This is the start of my photos. I have started 10 paper mache' clown heads. The bases are grocery bags and newspaper. My loving husband used a mask and put it inside each bag. He then did paper mache' over the bag and when dry, removed the mask. We stuffed them with paper and added a piece of PVC for me to use as a base for the application. I taped some other stuff over three that I want to make extra special. He drilled some holes in some molding a little larger than the PVC for me to put the PVC in for drying and made one the exact size of the PVC so the head would fit snug in the wood for pressing and smoothing.

There are literally a zillion different recipes for paper mache' paste. I used just homemade mod podge from 2 part glue to 1 part water. I added extra water if needed. I found that cheap Dollar Tree glue 2 for $1 was better than Elmer's glue. Elmer's was too sticky and harder to smooth. Since mine are going outside, I did not use flour, as it will mold and draw moisture and bugs.

I will update again as I work on them more. I have to cover them with the paper mache' clay, then do another drying stint. I will then start to sculpt the fun stuff and will give another update here for that and what I am using for eyes and stuff. I will coat them in marine sealant to waterproof thanks to a thread on this site.

Here are the heads, please give feedback, suggestions and questions. More to come!!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plans

Here are a few of my plans and idea printed photos. My husband (like most men) is very visual and we communicate better if I get my idea in his head. He will go off then and just make something for me, or come up with something I never thought of. He is cool that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oscillating Fan Hack

This is my husband's oscillating fan hack. One of the fans we found on the side of the road, nasty but working. The other we bought at a thrift store for $10. I plan to use one at my BBQ/butcher stand. The other I'm not sure yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow, you're really getting into it! The whole creepy clown thing seems to be one of the "in" things lately(whether you're dismembering them or they are just being menacing).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corpsed Torso

I made this torso and have the expanding foam on it. I still need to do the head, but we have had a cold snap here so I can't get outside. It is just hanging there scaring the neighbors!

The pictures speak for themselves. I used coat hangers, duct tape, PVC, more duct tape, a stick from the yard for the spine vertebrae, several screws, and expanding foam.

I will add more pics later as I progress. I will paint the inside and between the 'bones' black. Then the whole thing bright red. The last is to dry brush the bubbly parts (high spots) with more black to 'char' it. It is going on a spit made from PVC and turned by a motorized Christmas tree stand that I got at Goodwill for $2.

Thanks for any comments and questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, you're really getting into it! The whole creepy clown thing seems to be one of the "in" things lately(whether you're dismembering them or they are just being menacing).
Thanks for the comment. Clowns are so creepy even when they are just being clowns. I know lots of people who are just terrified of them.

I think my husband thought I was just talking, and wouldn't follow through. I am having so much fun!! I think secretly he is too. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our body forms

These are 3/4" PVC that we had laying around (my husband Johnny does plumbing on his job). We had to buy the fittings, but they are not too expensive if you buy them in bags. The only part that we glued is the two 90's at the hips and the T to the pelvis area. We glued these in order to gauge the width to put the feet in the ground, and for stability. The rest are loose for now for storage. The ground stakes are 5" x 6" shelf brackets. They have a channel that fit them together well inside the T's. We hammered the 5" sides together tight inside, then ran a screw through each side. The 6" side goes into the ground perfectly.

I packaged each 'body' in a bag together with the suit. I will paint the suits after assembling them.

Does anyone have suggestions on paint for Tyvek suits? Spray enamel bleeds really bad. Johnny suggested that it is no big deal that bleeds because it is supposed to be old and weathered, but I am afraid the colors will just bleed all together and look black.

Thanks for looking. As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
wow, you've got a great start and just let me say how jealous I am that your husband helps you so much! Mine could care less.
I did the carnevil theme in 2012, probably the most fun one i've ever done
I have no idea on the paint on tyvek. I need an orange jumpsuit and was going to try using spray paint for plastic on one of those dollar store paint coveralls and see if that works.
You can also use rebar hammered in the ground and the pvc will go right over it. (if you need it to be more sturdy)
the rib cage looks great, an old waterhose will also work too
That first pic with all the heads in a row made me think of Motel Hell....... LOL
Keep the pics coming!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more of my charred torso/corpse (and some other stuff)

Hey everyone! I have missed you guys over the last week or so. I didn't get a chance to post the starting of my painting on the corpse because we made a quick trip to Tennessee to see my mom, which turned into a longer trip because she broke her leg while we were there (I have posted a REALLY scary pic). She is 82 and even though very healthy, has a long road of recovery ahead. It was compound so she can't have a cast for 6 weeks, then it is 6 weeks in the cast, then 6 in a boot. Then they will talk about sending her home. Yikes!

After all last weekend in the hospital with her and with no sleep, I finally got the sinus infection I missed over the last two winters (and how!). Double ear infection, throat infection, and sinus infection. Even my teeth hurt!

I couldn't wait to get these out for you guys to see. I am so proud of him. I still have the charred top coat to add. I have decided to use brown for the top coat instead of black as originally planned and seen in the other tutorials. I tried a test brushing today, and it looks pretty cool. I'll get some more pics as I finish him up. On a side note, it seems the expanding foam got a little brittle in some spots and chipped off. I just slapped some extra paint in those areas!! Check out the guts and brain I made from left over foam and paint. So cool, I impressed myself.

I also made some collars today that I will tie around the necks of some of my clowns. I still have to age them a bit. I will also paint the white ones, or maybe just age them to make them look old and dingy.

I need to get busy if I am going to get finished before October.

Attachments

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
So sorry to hear about your mom's break, D - I hope she heals up without any complications. Your work on the clown massacre is awesome - can't wait to see what ya'll continue to churn out of your "halloween factory"!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, you've got a great start and just let me say how jealous I am that your husband helps you so much! Mine could care less.
I did the carnevil theme in 2012, probably the most fun one i've ever done
I have no idea on the paint on tyvek. I need an orange jumpsuit and was going to try using spray paint for plastic on one of those dollar store paint coveralls and see if that works.
You can also use rebar hammered in the ground and the pvc will go right over it. (if you need it to be more sturdy)
the rib cage looks great, an old waterhose will also work too
That first pic with all the heads in a row made me think of Motel Hell....... LOL
Keep the pics coming!!!
Thanks for the reply. As I stated above, I haven't been on here for a bit.

My husband actually doesn't care either, but he sees how happy it makes me and it actually gives us something to do together. He enjoys the building part, and I get so giggly when my plans come together.

I actually dyed one of my tyvek suits today using Rit. It actually did dye it, which surprised the heck out of me! There is an orange color that might work for you. I think I also have seen orange jumpsuits/outfits at harbor freight like a rain suit type.

I forgot about motel hell...you are right, lol!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished my charred corpse

I finished adding the brown and black paint dry brushed over the high spots. I also added the red nose and painted the supports.

I guess I am right on trend because I was just in time for the burned walker episode of The Walking Dead. LOL

If you all have any pointers or suggestions I welcome them!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts