Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my last build for this years display. Went to Lowe's today and was going to buy a sheet of pink foam, but they only had one and it was beat up badly. right next to the pink foam I spotted some 6 packs of 2 x 4 ft white bead foam. Since the signs I made earlier this summer came out so well I decided to go with the bead foam and do a similar carve on them as I did for my signs and just use a lighter paint to finish them.

This is one of the signs I'm going to match the look of...

I found that the foam sheets were perfect in length already so I only had to cut whatever width boards I wanted out of them. Zero waste is a good thing! I got three narrow boards from each sheet and 2 wide ones. 10 boards total and two whole sheets left over. I used my trusty fillet knife and a snap-off utility knife to do the cutting and carving. I found that a window screen spline tool is perfect for adding texture while doing the wood grain, just roll it over the foam and it leaves a nice groove. Did detail grain with the fillet knife.

This is the first board in progress. Once I figured out the look I wanted and how to do it the rest went pretty quick. Knocked out all 10 in 4 hours.

All 10 done...

I want the same old, dried, warped, driftwood - like appearance that the Halloween signs have so I went heavy with the splits and holes. Should give a cool effect when backlit with the house lights, or I could darken the window and have some eyes peeking through the bigger holes.

Detail photos...

Tomorrow I'll get back on them and finish up a few details in the carvings, them paint them with a base coat of black latex. I plan on using the storm window technique to mount them. 2 vertical boards with a short strap on each end held by the windows and velcro tabs to attach the boards themselves. I'll add more pics as this progresses.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Those turned out great! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent the morning painting them.

Now I need to see if I have enough scrap wood lying around to make the four mounting boards to hang in the window frames. We have 4 windows on the front of the house, but one is a big picture window I want to set up a pumpkin display in and another is just a small bathroom window. The two windows I'm boarding up will be behind the scarecrow and behind the witch so they will add to those scenes nicely.

They look unique! Lookin like real boards...like old western vibe.
That's sort of what I had in mind, old, warped and dry. :) Even added a couple of possible bullet holes. lol

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And here they are up on a window! I used the strap closed in the storm window technique and velcro to mount them.

And here are the mounting boards. Webbing straps were too thick to close in my storm windows so I made straps out of doubled over duct tape. I rolled a finishing nail into the end of each strap to be sure it could not pull through the window once it was closed. I stapled the doubled over duct tape to the back side of the boards for about 6 or so inches to secure it there. I wish I had gotten a roll of velcro instead of pads. Gonna be tricky to line up next time I set it up for Halloween.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amazing work. can you say a little more on the paint process?
My paint process....

Base coat of flat black latex -

2nd color was beige dry brused over the black -

3rd was a brown I mixed from a dark brown dry brushed on here and there over the beige wash -

After that coat I mixed some green and black into the color and used it to blend and add depth to the cracks and holes and to break up the brown from the 2nd coat some. I followed the grain lines extending out from knotholes and cracks some too. I went very light dry brushing this color pretty much all over. While still wet I feathered in the black into deep cracks I really wanted to stand out.

The base coat of black I let dry overnight and double checked for any spots I missed before starting with my colors. I did each color on all the boards before moving on to the next color. I did each color on top of each other while the previous coat was still tacky. Easier to blend that way.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and you used regular latex house paint? thinned in any way?
Yep, the flat black is just latex house paint. The 1st coat of beige is also. Not thinned at all. I went pretty heavy with the black base coat. The coat of beige was dry brushed - empty the brush of nearly all paint, then go fast and light across the grain pattern to bring out the texture. You will have to kinda crisscross a little to avoid leaving noticeable brush marks. Once a board was covered I went with the grain with no paint on my brush the help hide brush marks too. The colors I added to the beige for additional shading and coloring were just acrylic craft paints. I went with the grain and again, kept the brush pretty dry with them. Smaller brush for the detail colors too. Used a 3" brush for the base black and 1st beige color, then a 1/2" brush for the detail colors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those, look, AWESOME! I am debating between old rickety shutters and boarded windows - you may have just helped me decide! Great work.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I gotta tell ya - those "boards" are awesome! I use a lot of old wood for projects, and if I didn't know better from the photos, I would say it was wood! Great detail work - definitely worth the effort!
HM

·
Registered
526 Posts
These are great!!! Are the 6th boards going to cross over the first 5?

This Makes me wish we had more than 1 double window that faced the front on our house.
With just 1 window I don't think the boards on the windows look will do much. Stinks because I love it.

Really great job - carving and paint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts