Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of new wall sconces like I build each year, for the Star Wars theme I've opted to combine a few different prop ideas into this. The effect is to have lightsabers pushed in to the Endor Base similar to how the effect was shown in Episode 1:

Using the hot coal technique and a lightsaber prop, let's see if we can make this one happen!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Frightshow didn't say which he was using, and I can't tell for sure from the photos, but LED lights would be far less likely to melt through the foam than traditional incandescent strings. Unless they were super high brightness maybe.

I suspect the bottles were to provide the basic shape without requiring it to be made of thicker foam, which would cut the brightness. Gives the super-bright orange parts of the final effect. Has the side benefit of keeping the Great Stuff out of the wires (the lights could be reused for something else later).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool fright show!! I know in the past some have posted here that the lights melted thru the foam.....but maybe thats why you did the plastic bottles over them? I love the effect!
Hi MatrixMom - I used cheapie incandescent lights I had available and used the water bottles on top to protect the foam. Thanks - I can't wait to get them outside on the house in a few weeks...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frightshow didn't say which he was using, and I can't tell for sure from the photos, but LED lights would be far less likely to melt through the foam than traditional incandescent strings. Unless they were super high brightness maybe.

I suspect the bottles were to provide the basic shape without requiring it to be made of thicker foam, which would cut the brightness. Gives the super-bright orange parts of the final effect. Has the side benefit of keeping the Great Stuff out of the wires (the lights could be reused for something else later).
Hey Dyne - that's right - the plastic water bottles lift the foam off the lights, both for heat and also because the base is aluminum foil so the light scatters and bounces around a bit more. The goal was to make it brighter than the traditional cauldron coal effect. The real question will be - where are the Jedis? They'll be locked up on the porch waiting to scare the patrons... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts