Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to create a new-and-improved crashed saucer scene in the next year or two, and would like to include a Star Trek transporter effect like the one in the following video. I kinda have a grasp of how the illusion is done with two-way mirrors and lights, but has anyone here built something like this? Seeking plans.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would think it works off the Peppers Ghost principle, a mirror on a 45 degree angle will reflect the side thats brightest. I used this principle in the 90's to make a "Needful Things" effect where a shop owner turns into a monster. I used two duplicate tables with duplicate cash registers (one on each side) to add more mystery to the effect.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Cool movie promo. Don't recall seeing that done here when the movie came out. Definitely would have remembered hearing about it. I assumed it was twins and something like Pepper's Ghost. Only would have loved to see what happened to the guy in purple who was in the mall and then reappeared in the transporter. Wanted eyeballs on the kid at a distance. Guessing once the teleporter was "reimaging" the focus was on him there not in the mall and they probably had a small crowd step in behind the mall guy so he could make his disappearance.

BTW if you are considering an Enterprise-type set up, check out ThinkGeek.com . I bought a Star Trek motion sensored door alarm from them last year when it was featured in one of their sales. And a 2001 "Hal" iPhone prop too (called IRIS 9000 based on Hal 9000) on a different sale. Fun stuff to play with for a later theme.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yrs. ago it may have been the magazine Mechanics Illustrated showed how to make a Pepper's ghost the el-cheapo method stretching handi-wrap across a pvc frame, or maybe it was window film you heat with a hair dryer? Yes, that was it.
Forget the expensive plexi-glass then.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. I agree it's a Pepper's ghost effect--not sure whether with plain glass or two-way mirror. I want to make it work with live people, although I'm not interested "beaming" someone from one place to another using twins. I'll be happy with making aliens appear and disappear from the unit. I'm wondering how to set up the lights and glass so that everything matches perfectly as the lights in front of and behind the glass toggle back and forth. A bonus would be finding a way to add some sparkles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts