Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple hanging props that I want to put out on my lawn. I have no idea how to hang them up out there tho.. Please help !

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I was in At Home (formerly Garden Ridge) on Sunday and they had several of their hanging props suspended on heavy coat racks. I thought it was a good idea that would work at home. I would also work outside. You could also make PVC pipe stands if you are able to hang the props where it will not show. Most of the standing props are on tripod type stands like that. However, you have to work out how to attach the prop efficiently.

I have several huge props that I usually hang inside and we are going to hang them from trees outside this year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Depending on the size and what kind of prop you are putting up you could use the stake flower pot hangers found in the lawn and garden sections of stores. Sometimes they can have a very gothic look. Hanging from trees or the overhang of your house has also been suggested. If you have a porch you could screw in a flower pot hanging screw from there. Perhaps a photo of the props your trying to use could help us figure a unique way to "hang" it up.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
It really depends on weight/size of props for me, the 99cents store have garden hooks, I have used camping lantern tripods, 6 foot 1 x 2 with a point at one end and bang it into the ground, have use rebar, and wire or tied in a area that will not be scene, a old camera tripod with sticks wire to the legs works wonderful for a witch cauldron since its has a wider base.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I will use wrought iron shepherd garden hooks & metal tiki torch holders. I've also tied onto shepherd hooks good sized dead branches for a dead tree look to hang stuff from.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We are another haunter set that will use rebar and DH will pound it into the ground with a mallet. We've also used bamboo for this AND another easy option is if you go to a garden center, sometimes you can buy the long garden stakes - they are typically green and have at least one pointed end to easily go into the ground. If you use rebar, you do need to be aware of where/how far down any wiring or pipes are in your yard!

Another option is if you have two end points where you could tie something, you could extend a heavy-duty fishing line or even a regular clothes line between them, then dangle any props off of that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are another haunter set that will use rebar and DH will pound it into the ground with a mallet. We've also used bamboo for this AND another easy option is if you go to a garden center, sometimes you can buy the long garden stakes - they are typically green and have at least one pointed end to easily go into the ground. If you use rebar, you do need to be aware of where/how far down any wiring or pipes are in your yard!

Another option is if you have two end points where you could tie something, you could extend a heavy-duty fishing line or even a regular clothes line between them, then dangle any props off of that.
I want to hang this guy here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261661288497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT and another guy that's similar but smaller. =)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I use rebar for a lot, garden stakes for the lighter stuff, and hang a lot of stuff from the tree in front.

029.jpg You can see the rebar in this shot, but you really didn't notice it at night - even with the lights

033.jpg She's also on a piece of rebar - her dress covers everything.

034.jpg Garden stake

034.jpg Tree stuff

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
She's the hanging Medusa prop. She's very detailed, very creepy, and the TOTers lovvvvvvvvve her! I think I got her from Halloween Direct or a similar site. She's still available out there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use rebar that is hammered into the ground and then I place PVC over the rebar. If you wanted to got that route you could paint the PVC black and at night the PVC wouldn't be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I actually take those type of props and hang them from two lines run from the front of the yard to the house. I drape them over the driveway so they look like they are hanging in mid-air. It's a good effect and if there is a little wind the material flutters some.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It fits pretty well over the rebar, not too wobbly. We use the gray electrical PVC pipe in 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I have used rebar and PVC, Christmas tree stands and even the stands for tall fans. I have several of the huge hanging props that we always use indoors. We are decorating outside on Halloween with all the big props this year for TOTers. In the past we have done pumpkins and crashed witches out in the front, but no large props. I have lots of small hanging witches and ghouls that we hang from the beamed ceilings inside and open the double front doors so that the TOTers can see them. I think they will love the front walk thru with all the large props.

I love the ideas of using fishing line to hang them. Gonna steal that one and make things 3D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You can just drill a small hole in the PVC and insert a wood screw against the rebar to secure the PVC in place. (And discourage theft.) :)
Now that's a great idea!! We do have a problem with theft in my 'hood. There are a lot of teenaged boys who like to "acquire" things that don't belong to them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts