Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I want to add some skeleton scenes to my graveyard this year and am looking for suggestions for making them stand up. I've seen a few suggestions for rebar, conduit etc, just wondering if there are any favorites? Also, do any of you have experience with Grandin Road's posable skeletons? I'm looking into buying from them, but need a few and don't want to get them if they are duds. Thanks guys! 115 more days!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had several in my yard last year. i stood one up by leaning it against a shovel and used tent stakes on the feet. it only fell over once due to really strong winds. u can also build stands for them out of pvc or something along those lines. crazy bones actually sells a stand for there skellys. ill probably end up building a few stands for mine based on that design.

in this thread you can see the skelly with the shovel.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/143625-yard-haunt-fenceing-2.html

and hears crazy bones stand just for some idea of what you can do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use pose and stay skeletons from Costco and 5 foot piece of steel electrical conduit. I paint the conduit black. I pound the conduit into the ground about 8 inches and use white zip ties to tie skeleton to the conduit. At night you don't see the black conduit. It is a cheap and easy solution. The hardest part is cutting the conduit to size. That can be done with a jigsaw or hacksaw. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Threaded rods or rebar pounded into the ground, run through the pelvis, and zip tied to spine. Fishing line when needed discourages theft and helps to hold a pose, tied off to tent stakes or immobile objects. I get some pretty windy days in October but this has always worked for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is so much I love about this video I don't even know where to start! Seriously...it's all amazing and you've given me some great ideas! I'm still new to this (only been able to decorate for the last 2 years) so I can use all the help I can get. What kind of spotlights did you use? We bought a few that I like from Home Depot last year that worked well for outside, but I struggled with lighting some of our indoor props.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
foolishmortal42, the above comment was directed to you, I posted it before I was finished! Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! My poor fiance is going to be doing the bulk of the work with the skeletons and our cemetery fence so I know he will appreciate all the suggestions! I am not exactly sure what I am going to have them doing, but I want them to look like they are interacting realistically. I will be looking into the Costco skeletons and the crazy bones site kindo suggested, and passing these ideas onto my fiance asap! Thanks again!

·
Registered
325 Posts
StaceyLynne...the spotlights are from Home Depot. They are Colored LED spotlights that sold as Holiday spotlights. They may have them online. If not, they come out in Sept/Oct in the Christmas section. I believe they are the same as the ones sold by Spirit but cheaper. Also Home Depot had some cheap pose and stay skeletons last year as well. Hope this helps

·
Registered
284 Posts
As you can see above there's a lot of ways to make them stand up. However, shop around on those skeletons. Grandin Road and other sell the same/similar skeletons you can buy at Costco/Target/Walmart but charge 2x the price. Shop around!

If amassed a small army of potable skeletons that I've paid $30-$40 for at the various big box stores. But buy them when you see them. They don't typically restock, so what you see is often what they have in my experience.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use rebar as my primary support for free standing skeletons. Last year, I was doing Special Effects makeup and acting at The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce, here in CT on Halloween. It was the first time I was not home on Halloween in over 20 years, so I did not want to do an extensive full yard set up. I did a really quick set up with Wally skeletons. These are not self supporting. I esentially used wire ties to support them in natural poses. This set up was so my wife would not have to worry about taking down props after the trick or treaters finished. I removed the easily reachable skeletons when I got home.

20151030_122529.jpg
20151030_122612.jpg
20151030_122545.jpg
20151030_122748.jpg

Eric

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Holy firewood Wolfbeard,lol!
HA, that's only half of it. I heat the whole house with our wood stove. I burn 4 cords for the entire winter. Way cheaper than the 3 tanks of oil my neighbors all go through. :rolleyes:

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I just ordered two of the skeleton stands from Halloweencostumes.com. I usually use rebar, but since it's my and my DH's tenth wedding anniversary, we're playing dress up with two of the skels. I'll post pics when I get the stands.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I drill holes through the feet of skeletons into the leg bone and insert rebar. Before putting the skeleton into place, I have a 3 foot metal pin that I hammer about 8 inches into the ground to create slots for where the rebar is going. Then I pull the pin out and put the props into place. It has worked really well.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm a rebar and zip tie guy. I'll also use tall tomato stakes and wire ties for more animated poses, or tie the figures to props.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts