Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Note: This is a repost of an old tutorial whose links to pictures were broken with the software update at HF.

An easy way to give your windows a stained-glass look is to paint an old white sheet.

The sheet is painted with thinned acrylic paint. There is a light shining behind to give it illumination. If you live in a cold climate where you might get some condensation on the windows, you may want to give the painted sheet a plastic backing, so the paint won't leech onto the window frames. Alternately, you could wash it enough where you are certain the colors won’t bleed. In fact, it may make it look even better.

You will need:
Several colors of acrylic paint including dark gray
1 1/2 inch angle brush
Small brush (about ¾-inch)
Old, thin, white sheet
Plastic sheeting (optional)
Glue gun (optional)
Sharpie
Yard stick
Interesting shape (I used a French curve)

Cut Shape of Window: Cut out the sheet to be about 3-4 inches bigger than the window.

Design Glass Style: Find an interesting shape that you could trace out repeatedly. I picked a French curve. Do the perimeter of the window. Be sure to mirror the design with the left and the right side.

Diamond Tiles: For the inside of the window, take your yardstick and trace out a diagonal line. Then repeat the next line 3 inches apart. Continue until you fill in the space. Then do the opposite diagonal line. This will give you those diamond tiles you see in a lot of stained glass.

Paint Glass: In a jar or cup, mix in a lot of water with your paint. Then start to randomly paint in the shapes. Notice how in the first picture the paint bleeds into the next square? That is good, it helps give it that authentic stained-glass look. Don't be too careful filling the whole square in. The paint should bleed in and fill the square. You want that mottled uneven look. If it leaves white spots after a few minutes, do touch it up though.

Leading: For the leading, mix in less water with dark gray paint and using your smaller brush, paint in the lines to give the illusion of leading.

Plastic Cover: (If needed) Lay out the plastic sheeting and glue it to the sheet in sections. Be sure to keep the sheet as taut as you can. Years later I still wonder if this step was necessary. You could just wash the sheet enough where you are certain the colors won’t bleed. In fact, it may make it look even better.

Hang and Light: Hang in your window and be sure there is good illumination from behind. You could use a flood light or a set of white Christmas lights.

Thanks for checking out my tutorial.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, absolutely would this look good with the boarded up windows! That was my intention but I ran out of time. I will do that next year.

The plastic sheeting I used was the plastic drop cloths you get at Home Depot. If I remember correctly it was 2 mil thick. Basically, I found sheeting that was see-through but also thick enough to protect the window frame.

·
Banned
524 Posts
That stained glass works perfect with that shape window you have and looks amazing.

I had a feeling you were using that painters plastic. I use the black 6 mil for walls to enclose my carport. I have had so many ideas how to use this since you posted it. I had an idea to use that heavy duty plastic from a fabric store like people use to make covers. Then have my grandmother sew it to the sheet. That way it is heavy duty and would last longer and maybe store better.

Since the only front window you would be able to see from the front is my daughters room and the window is under her bed I was thinking about taking some firing strips like 1"x2" and make a frame use L brackets to hold the strips to make it seemless. Then take the sheet and wrap it over the strip frame staple it on the back of that strip frame. This would allow it to slide into the window sill perfect and make for easy set up and take down, keep it taunt, and seamless looking. You would just take some of those push pins and after you slide that frame in to hold it to the window frame since it is recessed at the top. That would keep it from sliding back.

Before I would put it up I was thinking about taking some rope light and line on the inside of the strips. This would give it the light it needed since I can put up a flood light in her room and can have this up from the start of Oct. and allow you to be able to live around it. Then if that wasn't enough...LoL. I thought I would put the rope lights on a flicker circuit so it would flicker behind the stain glass. Then have the boarded up window look on the outside of the window. I think that would look pretty dang cool and creepy.

Thanks for the idea and sharing it, I am going to run with it now...LoL This will definitely dress the windows up.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I love all of your improvements. The framing and the rope lights I think I'll incorporate next year. Along with the boarded up windows. Hmmm, I still have some foam left....Halloween is still 6 days away. :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
Hey do it, I would love to see it!

After thinking about it some more the frame would work kind of like a canvas. Like how they wrap the canvas around the wooded frame and staple it to the back. It would work like that, then once you get it attached you could paint it that way it would look right instead of painting it then putting it on and cutting some of the design off. Of course you wouldn't be able to sew the plastic on, you would have to wrap it over and staple it like the sheet after you paint it.

I am just wondering if the rope lights would be bright enough to shine through enough to see it. I think it will and the flicker addition would even high light it more if it does. Another advantage is the rope light is cheaper to use then a flood light.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
I have a large window of similar shape in the front of my house that I was wanting to do. Another member told me you had done this and it looks great. Since our "haunted house" is in our back yard I plan to do several of the windows and our back door. Last year I only had time to throw some black plastic over the door. I have been researching some patterns from old castles and I think I have found a few I might use with variations. And I was also thinking of doing a frame for the front window because I didnt know how I was going to attach it. I am trying to avoid putting holes in the house.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
I got to thinking..my mistake. My uncle is somewhat an artist and he got started by recreating on paint and canvass famous persian rugs. He started by seeing one he liked but couldnt afford and did one up to have on his floor. He covered it in some kind of varnish so it would hold up when it got wet. I wonder if you can do the same to the windows so they would not leach onto the window. Might last longer too.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got to thinking..my mistake. My uncle is somewhat an artist and he got started by recreating on paint and canvass famous persian rugs. He started by seeing one he liked but couldnt afford and did one up to have on his floor. He covered it in some kind of varnish so it would hold up when it got wet. I wonder if you can do the same to the windows so they would not leach onto the window. Might last longer too.
I would think. That's a really good idea! Thanks for the kudos by way :)

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Well, I started on my window. Problems I am running into. The window is too big for a single sheet. I bought a king size sheet at Walmart but the window doesnt have enough left over on the sides. It didnt help that I bought a fitted sheet either. Thats why my wife does the shopping. I plan to have the window on a frame so I need plenty extra material to attach it. I also liked the idea of running a string or two of lights inside the frame to illuminate the window. I started and finished the arch part of the window and plan to post a pic at some point. As an experiment I have sprayed the window with a clear coat to hopefully ward off any weather induced problems. It stiffened the window up but doesnt change the luminesence of the window. My only worry is that it will crack during storage. I will probably have to roll it or something.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Well here is the upper part of the window.

I wanted the top to be dark and have a sliver of moon showing. The lower part of the window I am hoping to have it become progressively lighter and brighter. I have a grim reaper figure thats going to be on it. I wanted to do a more detailed background for the window. I liked the tudor style stained glass but my wife wanted what we ended up doing. I think it looks good. Most of the black border is not going to be seen as it will wrap around the frame. I painted it out farther to give myself extra to work with.

There is a lot of glare in the picture so I hope that doesnt detract. The shadowed part of the moon is actually grey but it doesnt show up in this well though.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
I've started on the lower portion of the window. I dont have floor space so I tacked a plastic sheet to the garage wall and then the sheet over it. I have to be pretty carefull with drips. I also have found that most of my bleed over goes down. With the plastic behind it and I am not careful..it really goes down. I have been able to dilute most of my messups with water and I am sure that when I paint those sections it wont show up as much.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Susan :)

Johnson, sounds like you've got a solution for the vertical dripping. The way I did mine was dependent on it being on the floor. But, I'm thinking that your way could look pretty cool too (even if some of the paint still shows).

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Excellent work Terra,
I have wondered for a while how to do that effect, and i have to say, you have it figured out. That looks great.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
I mostly have finished the lower window. The only thing I am stuck on is the face. Other than that...all I need to do is build the frame, run lighting and put it in the window. I plan on building the frame soon but I have another project I want to start.

oh ..the cord..heh thats to my attic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts