Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YEP... I want a cable control squid baby.. and I figure I better make it myself.
So here is a youtube video of the first tentacle test... let me know what you think. I am still pondering the control system... motor/ cam... hand crank... r/c?
questions to be answered soon.

YouTube - New Project 1

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
each tentacle uses four cables for movement and one slightly thicker one in the middle as the support spine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very cool:cool:. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
I've been puzzling over an idea using artificial-tendon action like that to create a writhing mass of rattlesnakes for the hair of a demonic cowgirl costume (sort of "Medusa visits the Old West"), but I've been at a total loss as to how to do it. If I could figure out a mechanism for it that wasn't entirely manually operated and was fairly compact, I could probably hide it under one of my tall rodeo hats, but I don't even know where to start. And my knowledge of mechanics is pretty much 'zip' at this point. If lots of space is required to house the mechanism (thus rendering it impossible to wear), I may turn the idea into a prop one day. So, I'm quite interested in how you eventually bring this tentacle-y tot to life.
Are you planning this to be a portable prop (i.e. you'll be carrying it around) or is it going to be grounded within a scene?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool:cool:. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
I've been puzzling over an idea using artificial-tendon action like that to create a writhing mass of rattlesnakes for the hair of a demonic cowgirl costume (sort of "Medusa visits the Old West"), but I've been at a total loss as to how to do it. If I could figure out a mechanism for it that wasn't entirely manually operated and was fairly compact, I could probably hide it under one of my tall rodeo hats, but I don't even know where to start. And my knowledge of mechanics is pretty much 'zip' at this point. If lots of space is required to house the mechanism (thus rendering it impossible to wear), I may turn the idea into a prop one day. So, I'm quite interested in how you eventually bring this tentacle-y tot to life.
Are you planning this to be a portable prop (i.e. you'll be carrying it around) or is it going to be grounded within a scene?
I'll have to put some thought into that... Maybe using the same idea that those cheesy dancing flowers use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is one nice piece of mechanical artistry. What kind of material are you going to cover the tentacles with? That will also play a part in how you'll be able to animate them. (weight, rigidity etc.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I looked up the dancing flowers and they really do have a nice serpentine movement! The one I had as a kid just seemed to spazz out erratically, but the videos I found when I looked into your suggestion showed some potential. I'll keep it in mind. Still, this method just has such an unnerving, organic quality to it that I really love.
Ha, I just noticed you're in Butte (I'm writing from MSU Bozeman). Glad to see Montana has a mad monster maker like you:D!

·
Registered
591 Posts
3 diffrent idea 1:you could mount 2-4 servos on a board then connect the servo arms to the "strings" on the arms.idea 2:make a X like they use on puppets then operate that with something like the FCG rig each pulling on the X. .3:make something like the huanted bookcase idea to pull the strings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts