Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how these are made? saw one at transwold show but didn't look at it closely but liked the prop. we aquired plenty of lumber to build it just don't know how the spring effect is made. any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
978 Posts
my friend suggested that it looks like 2 rows of overlapping leaf springs by the way it flips uo on the ends when he jumps in the middle. Seams to be too stiff to move when walking normal on it. Probably should anchor those ends down but I'm guessing by the movement that with the ends secure it wouldn't move much at all.

·
Registered
679 Posts
From the video on Frightprops I am wondering if about every 2 -3 feet the board stays up but it still rotates so I am thinking possible a metal pipe that rotates on a shaft some rings welded to the pipe on both sides of the bridge. Then from the ends to each pipe and between the pipes stretch a heavy spring (similar to a garage door spring). I may have to mock something up and take a closer look at it but to me it would be easily done and really feasible. Thinking if i check with a garage door installation company that they probably get springs from doors they have replaced and could get them really cheap. Or if you have a Re-Store around they will have some that were donated for cheap.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Come to think of it i am pretty sure how this works. We have a park with one of those large wooden play centers on it and they have a bridge That is just a piece of stretched food belting that has a pipe across it every few feet so between the pipes the belting flexes witch (lol notice the spelling) would give the exact effect of what you are seeing in the video. If it were done with springs on both side then the bridge would flex up and down and side to side. You dont see any side to side in the video witch ( haha...i love spelling it like that) makes we believe it is mere food belting. Like the one here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
While not exactly what is asked for by the OP another almost free option was observed at a pro haunt last Oct. They used old spring mattresses with all fabric removed and bolted 4×8 sheets of ply on top. The walls were built to exact width so the entire contraption was stable. Their walkway was about 32' which is very far for this type of effect.

The real scare is the thought of the "free" mattresses and the filth and critters they held.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could use thick foam rubber and attach the boards to it and place that in a frame. You might need to attach the boards to something like heavy canvas first, but I think that would work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts