Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything on the market that you have used to prevent spiders from getting inside and it work? I have killed two huge spiders already this week and its not even getting cold yet. I know there is a spray you can use, which has been the most effective for you? Or is this a job for a exterminator?

I really hate spiders..and I just worry about one finding its way to my kids beds. (probably via my cat who insists on playing with them. I tried to kill one once and my cat seriously snatched it up before I could kill it and went into my kids room -_-)

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
My parents always used exterminators for stuff like this. Nothing else ever seemed to work. I think my dad may have some "civilian" spray that he uses now for the outside - garage, especially, because we have wolf spiders around here that get enormous - but I have no idea what it is. It doesn't come in a can, though - it's in a heavy duty, I-mean-business spray pump, like the professionals use. I'll check with him tonight and see what it is he uses.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have those dreaded wolf spiders too! The two I recently killed were size of a big grape. But when we moved into this house I found one the size of my hand in a closet. His body alone was bigger than my dads thumb. Ughhh. I was like how the heck do you kill one that big?!?

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
we have those dreaded wolf spiders too! The two i recently killed were size of a big grape. But when we moved into this house i found one the size of my hand in a closet. His body alone was bigger than my dads thumb. Ughhh. I was like how the heck do you kill one that big?!?
eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Always heard that spraying for other bugs won't bother spiders as they don't seem to have any issue crossing through the poison (guess they don't clean their feet or it doesn't get into them that way). We usually have to kill them as we find them (although, the wife will save any and put them outside...only time she wants them dead is if she finds them when she is naked! No sharing a bath with a spider!)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knock on wood....haven't found one in the bath. I think they are coming in our back door because they are in the dining room and kitchen.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Knock on wood....haven't found one in the bath. I think they are coming in our back door because they are in the dining room and kitchen.
Spiders, bugs in general, will find a way in. We have tarantulas around here and as large as they are they manage to get into the house somehow. I guess its one of the perks, I mean problems with living in the country. The only way I know of to keep them out is to turn the area around the house into a toxic wasteland. You can't buy the effective poisons anymore at least not here in California. The stuff you can get just doesn't work.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
We had carpenter bees in our detached garage & while the professional exterminator was treating for them we went ahead & had him spray the house. No clue what he used but bye-bye crickets, camel crickets & spiders in the basement.

He left around glue traps in the garage & basement to see what kind of bugs we were getting. Duh, I coulda told him, spiders, crickets, camel crickets, stink bugs & thousand leggers.

Guess what we caught on the glue traps?

Yep, spiders, crickets, camel crickets, stink bugs & thousand leggers. One caught a baby snake which my husband removed & let go. But I can say that glue traps do work. Also keeping lights off outside around any place they'd come in. They're going after bugs, lots of bugs are attracted to light so keeping bright lights to a minimum will help.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Love those glue traps! They are great for catching the bigger critters where the exterminator's spray misses. I must have 30 of them scattered around the house. Put them up next to the walls near doors from the outside where they may enter and then some more in other rooms. Also - a quarterly professional maintainance program is great peace of mind. Each time they come to spray - you discuss what you've been seeing and they do relevant applications and also explain how to keep them at bay. Once a bug guy taught me that if I trapped the pill bugs in the basement (with glue traps) the tiny spiders would go away - he was right! Guess they were a matched set ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love those glue traps! They are great for catching the bigger critters where the exterminator's spray misses. I must have 30 of them scattered around the house. Put them up next to the walls near doors from the outside where they may enter and then some more in other rooms. Also - a quarterly professional maintainance program is great peace of mind. Each time they come to spray - you discuss what you've been seeing and they do relevant applications and also explain how to keep them at bay. Once a bug guy taught me that if I trapped the pill bugs in the basement (with glue traps) the tiny spiders would go away - he was right! Guess they were a matched set ;)
Would they die on the glue trap or would I have to release it? Lol! And would it work on huge spiders?

We had the house sprayed for termites before moving in and when we did move in I found dead spiders. Idk if it was that or they just didnt bother sweeping. That's when I found the king of spiders. But I think he was dying bc I had just left him...and a few days later when we moved in he hadnt moved very far.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ortho Home Defense - you can find it at most DIY stores (Lowes, Home Depot ) Learned about its spider eradication abilities living in Las Vegas - Home of every creepy creature known to crawl. We would find dead wolf spiders less then a foot from the area sprayed. Buy a gallon jug - it has a real neato sprayer and spray the outside perimeter of your house, Door thresholds , Window sills and (inside along the walls if you choose ) Spring and Fall. Will also eradicate roaches, centipedes, scorpions, beetles, and other alien looking spiders from the Dessert we had no idea that shared our house.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Glue traps just get tossed. The things die of suffocation or thirst or hunger or glue in their bits, just whatever, the traps are SUPER sticky, they're stuck, they're not going anywhere. It's a tad gross but effective.

When my husband worked at a pet shop (way before he was my husband) he said they used them for the random bugs the place would attract & feeder crickets that got out. One day they hear this flapping around in the back of the store, they go back to see what it was & there's this poor chinchilla that had gotten out of its cage & it had 3 or 4 glue traps stuck to it. They had to just cut 'em off the poor little thing.

So make sure they're away from the kids & pets or you could end up with some bald spots on them.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Third spider last night. Is that normal?!? Lol

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a product called "demon" , i kid you not!

apparently this works on spiders ... one of the few insecticides that work on spiders ... place i worked at used it ... i also have some that i got at a farm co-op here in tx

did a google search and looks like amazon also sells! link=>http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=demon+wp&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1420866357&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=19553365121144580613&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_65u1narbiz_e

amk
I will look that up.

I need to figure something out because the lows start dropping and more start making their way indoors. Luckily, they have been coming out at night so my husband can kill it, or he finds it when he wakes up at 3am for work. I would probably have a heart attack before I could do anything. I am used to small spiders that I can kill with an overdose of hair spray. These spiders I have seen lately.....I need a gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts