Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, This is my first post and first year doing a SpookyTown display. It is in my unfinished basement so excuse the surrounding area. It is a small wine cellar in the back of the basement:p I have knowledge working with foam and carving mountains, hills, etc. What I am looking for are interesting ideas in terms of scenery. The area I have to work with is 5 1/2' x 3' L-shape. I am thinking of having a mountain/hill on the corner of the 3 foot section overlooking the main town (3 foot section is on the left side). I want to incorporate a main strip of buildings, a stream, and a graveyard. Let me know what you guys think! See pictures below:

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4161.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: So I had some free time today and decided to get to work on the scenery. I made a riser, added some stairs, and made a rock face for the house to sit on. Just added a coat of white paint to cover up any foam, will eventually use leopard technique for final coloration and turn them into real rocks! See pictures below. (Sorry for poor quality pictures)

First riser.jpg
General overview from above

First riser 2.jpg
View from left side showing rockface

First riser 3.jpg
Left side again showing a higher view

First riser 4.jpg
Stone stairs waiting to come to life!

First riser 5.jpg
View from right side showing rock face and stairs

Stay tuned for more if you are interested! :D

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Can't wait to see the progress! I've been a spooky town collector for about 10 years and have a lot of fun with it but I've never done any sort of permanent display. Looks like you're off to a good start!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Sorry for the long time between updates, have been busy and was on vacation last week. Quite a lot has been done to the display. Finished all risers, stairs, path, wall, and cemetery area. I also added the first layer of ground cover in a few areas. See pictures below!

Overview.JPG
So this is where I am at right now. You can see the main cliff features have been completed and colored. Water has also been added to the stream.

Main Cliff.JPG
This is the main cliff area. Stairs and rocks have been colored.

Main Cliff Stairs.JPG
View from bottom of cliff stairs

Main Cliff Overhead.JPG
Overhead view of main cliff area

Bubbling Water.JPG
Sorry for awful lighting here. Water has been poured. Used FAMOWOOD Glaze Coat . I allowed bubbles to form in certain areas as I will be adding some type of creature coming out of the water.

Downtown area.JPG
Overview of downtown area. Adding risers to backside to hold two houses/buildings. Finished up stairs and painted rocks. Also you can see the path I carved into foam.

Main path close up.JPG
Close up view of path, downtown area. Sorry for messy picture. Glue and excess groundcover was in picture before I cleaned it up

Cemetary overhead.JPG
Cemetery area with grave dug out.

Cemetary Wall.JPG
Cemetery wall carved out and also grave in shot.

These are all the updates for now. Hoping to have more done by end of weekend so stay tuned!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see your completed set up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE! Sorry for the long time since the last update. I finished quite a bit. All scenery is done, now just looking to add in some detail pieces as Halloween draws closer!
Overview 2.jpg Overview of scene

Cliff stairs.jpg Cliff stairs complete leading up to cliff house

Cliff house.jpg surrounding area needs a lot of work and detail

House 4.jpg this area is pretty much complete. I like how this turned out ,might just add some more trees behind house to set it back in the woods more.

Bone bridge and house.jpg bone bridge leading to house.

Bone guitar.jpg skelly hanging out by water strumming guitar.

Nursery.jpg Hemlock's Nursery view from below

Stairs.JPG stairs leading to bone cookout, nursery, cupcake factory, and seating area

Bone cookout.jpg close up of the BONEBQ :p

Path view 4.jpg looking down path

Path view 3.JPG path again

Path view 2.JPG path again

Path view 1.JPG final path

Cupcakes.JPG CUPCAKES!

Seating area.JPG seating area above graveyard

Graveyard view from seats.JPG graveyard view from seats

Graveyard.JPG graveyard eye level

Pumpkin patch road.JPG road to pumpkin patch

Open grave no led.JPG open grave with red LED (LED is off)

Pumpkin patch entrance.JPG pumpkin patch entrance with home made fence

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
Nice set up! I love how you take your close-up pics so that everything is at eye level. Makes you really feel like you're inside the village. Good job! :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow!!

And all my mom does is put them up wherever we have room in the living room, but you're going all out with your designs - well done!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Yup, really looking amazing! Love the detailed stone carving. We find that it's the shrubbery that makes things start to feel more alive. Shrubbery FTW!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This is looking great! I especially love the house in the woods with the birdhouse - your plan to add more trees there will make it even better! Great job!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE! added a number of items. See pics below. Close to being finished. Filled in most empty space and added lights. Will post lighted pics later or in a few days. img_4414.jpg Overview of village

img_4416.jpg added gargoyles on top side of stairs and spooky tree at bottom

img_4417.jpg

img_4418.jpg Dept. 56 tree here

img_4419.jpg added skull to middle of band and dancers. I made these into lights by inserting led's into the skulls. They give off quite a bit of light which I will take pictures of then post

img_4421.jpg awful lighting I know and my shadow is covering, but here is a grim reaper in the pond area

img_4423.jpg house area with skull lights and bat bath added

img_4424.jpg closeup of bat bath

img_4425.jpg more grillers and a witch with a potion area

img_4426.jpg

img_4430.jpg gargoyles on sides of steps

img_4431.jpg bushes, boneyard fence, skelydog chasing cat up tree(dept. 56 item)

img_4433.jpg boneyard overview

img_4436.jpg boneyard landing with ghouls(dollar tree) hanging around

img_4438.jpg closeup of skelydog chasing cat

img_4439.jpg two views looking down main street. I like how these came out.

img_4440.jpg

That's all for now. Stay tuned for future updates with lighted pieces. Looking forward to taking those pics and getting them up so look for updates either later tonight or sometime this week. Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts