Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a new tombstone, I'm going for a realistic stone that you might find in a real graveyard

First I measured and marked my blank, it's 24"x24"x3/4" ridged pink foam from Home Depot
Text Pink Paper Paper product Material property

Next I cut out two for the front and back
Pink Paper Folder Paper product Transparency

I took the scraps and made sides and top and sanded it all to shape, then I filled all the gaps with drywall compound, I should have filled the bigger gaps with hot glue or foam board glue, or liquid nails, but I didnt and I filled them in with the drywall compound. Unfortunately I didnt get pics of this stage.

heres a pic fitted together and pre drywall compound
Shelf Pink Purple Table Furniture

Here it is with the drywall compound on, after it drys I will sand it all smooth
Column Concrete Architecture Wood Table

Next I will print up and trace out the epitaph and cut that out.......not sure where I'll go with design after that, no real plan here :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more progress today...

I made templates of where the name and epitaph will go
Paper Design Pattern Pattern Paper product

I then took the template and traced it on a new sheet of foam and cut it out. I took my utility blade and started carving the high and low spots for a three dimensional look and then sanded the whole thing smooth
Pink Furniture Table Chair Fondant

Did the same with the name plaque
Pink

I also made a base out of foam 9" wide by 28" long, I might make the base look like chipped granite like I did the crypt we built (seen in another thread)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have seen this method used a lot and especially with your more modern gravestone i think it works better for them , you get a really clean crisp finish as with new cut stone , i will pop back and have a look see how it comes out , its really coming along now i can,t wait for the finished item , if you get chance can you record your process with photos as i would like to see how it works fully if possible , i always used the spray paint method on my old tombstones for that old worn finish but need to make some more modern tombstones myself , and i should try and get used to both methods .

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Very good good indeed , starting to look really really great , thank you for explaining your method like the rest of the post i too cannot wait for the paint job .... will come back soon to see how its progressed , excellent job.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well..........I had high hopes for this paint job but either I'm using the wrong materials or I lack the talent for this kind of paint job, but here was my attempt at a dark marble tombstone........

I started off by painting inside the letters and giving the whole stone a base coat of gray
Room Shelf Sewing machine Bathroom accessory

I started on the back of the stone just in case I messed up (turns out this was the best looking side)
Wall Marble Rock Flooring Floor

And here it is completed and in the yard........I will be re-painting it eventually because I really dont like this paint job....
Font Grass Yard Headstone Tree

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
There,s an old proper painters and decorators method for faking marble effect done with paint in the U.K. not sure if its the same method decorators use in the states ? if anyone is interested let me know .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts